Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Cayman only arrived with one key and I'd like to duplicate it. I know this is painfully more expensive than it seems like it should be from the dealership.

Any recommendations on a good website to find an OEM 3 Button Key as well as a blank blade (hopefully at a discount)?

Also any sense if it's worth it to go with a key cut based on my cars VIN? vs just copying my current key blade onto a blank at a locksmith?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I trying to get a spare as well. I went to 2 locksmiths and both told me the only place to get a key cut is at the dealer, some proprietary tool that they wont share. Went to the dealer, 400 bones, still dont have a spare. I have a slight moral dilemma with spending 400 bux on stupid key that I guess I'm going to have to get over

·
Registered
85 Posts
Suncoastparts you can get a blade and fob for 200 bucks then find a dealer that will cut and program for about a 100. Not cheap but I was quoted 550 fron a dealership. I was going to try ebay, Amazon and such but decided that it is too important even if not fun part to skimp out on. Also my wife told me that she be ticked off if I lost this key, had to have the car towed, keys remade, etc.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,767 Posts
I would look at Ebay, you will still need to take it to the dealer to be programmed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
There is a place on line that will cut the key blank for you from a hi res picture
It just feels like there's an opportunity to be absolutely gouged at every level and step of the process.

The 3 button key head (not to be confused with the $20 body shells with no internal electronics)
The blank blade
cutting the blank
programming the key head.

Literally you feel like your being robbed at ever step.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts