Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2013 Boxster. Although I got a Carfax, it didn't have any service or maintenance records. It was a one owner vehicle owned by a female.

I received a 3 year warranty with the vehicle and didn't do a PPI, but will get a Post Purchase Inspection done. Multiple people were looking at this vehicle and I swooped in and purchased it.

Do you think the dealer who sold the vehicle would know the maintenance history?

Any other sources of info?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
According to both my selling and servicing dealers, only the servicing dealer has that info, meaning you need to know who did each service. Seems utterly stupid to me at this day and age, but unless a dealer here says otherwise, that seems to be the case. You can't really blame previous owners for not leaving service documentation with their names and addressed all over. This is especially true when owner was having issues with the car. You get hosed with the trade-in, but at least it becomes somebody else's problem. Having said that, I always provide a page with all service history with my used cars (which I always use), but remove any documentation with my personal info. That's the bad news about buying used from a dealer. When I sell privately, I provide everything, plus always give new buyer my info, so help is a text (or call) away. but a lot can happen while vehicle is at dealer's hands, so I never leave any docs with my info. Anyway, if in doubt, just do everything you need to do, and start your ownership with a clean slate (brake fluid flush, oil change, air filters, etc). Good luck.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If the work was done at a Porsche dealer, any dealer (with the VIN) can pull its history.

Pulling the history before owning it can be tricky and not all dealers will share it with you, but now that you are the owner, any dealer should be willing to do it.

Good luck,

Eddie

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your insight. I really want to know if this vehicle has had it's 60k service. It has 67k, so it's past its due date. I don't want the dealer to do the service, they will rape me. I'll do most of the work but will check with my Indy first to see what he charges. He did reasonable work on my 2004 Boxster S.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My experience getting service history was the dealer that did the work is the only one who can pull the history. All dealers can see what recall/warranty work has been done. In my case I learned the car only had a partial service during the previous owners reign. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.