Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling my 2014 Cayman S. It has 24,000 miles and looks great. It's upgraded with H&R lowering springs, ultralight Champion Motorsports forged aluminum 20" wheels fitted with Cup 2 tires, X73 rear sway bar and GT3 front sway bar, Performance Friction pads and new rotors, and the ECU was decrypted by Cobb and re-mapped by TPC.

These upgrades may be a problem if I try to sell to a dealer. Where should I advertise the car to generate interest and hopefully get a good price?

TIA

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
A dealer would lowball you on a stock car; a car with changes such as you have made would be a tough sell for them and they would likely come in even lower or decline to acquire the car.

The sales channels that work for most are cars.com, eBay and enthusiast sites such as this and Rennlist. A detailed ad with full maintenance history, free access to the Carfax and 20-30 high res photos will get the maximum attention. I sold a high mileage 2011 911 GTS with a $10,000 front bumper repair in less than a week with 4 offers at my asking price from all over North America.

Reactions: CGH3

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
90% of the cars I sell (and I do it as a hobby) are sold via Craigslist. I advertise on several nearby sites (in my case, KC, Denver, Des Moines, as well as my local OMA). Expect a bunch of scammers when you first list, but after that it settles down. Refresh your ad every Wed and Sat to maximize exposure.

You might also try PCA.org.

List options, maintenance, lots of pics, etc.

Reactions: CGH3

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
A dealer would lowball you on a stock car; a car with changes such as you have made would be a tough sell for them and they would likely come in even lower or decline to acquire the car.
I echo this... when I tried to sell my '07 Cayman -- the dealer really didn't want to touch it since I had coil overs -- and that was about it. Even CarMax said they would take it at "wholesale" since it looked very well cared for.
I ended up selling it to a local speciality sports car dealer. They like to keep some "low priced" inventory on the lot to help with traffic -- most of the cars on their lot were very high end cars: Ferrari's, Lambo's, Porsche Turbo's, etc. Epilog to my experience -- the speciality lot gave me a bit over wholesale, cleaned it up even a bit more and it sold off their lot in a week.
Unfortunately, I don't live near high density markets so my efforts to sell on auto trader, etc were not successful.
Good luck..
D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.