Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Which car would you buy?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a question about age vs miles vs price vs model. Pretend you want a Boxster over a Cayman. Which one would you put your money into assuming your original budget was $40k:

Car #1 - 2010 Boxster - CPO - 22,126 miles

Asking price: $29,594

Upgrades: 18" Cayman S Wheels, Heated Seats, Sound pkg Plus

Notes: There was 1 reported accident on this car in 2011. The only additional info I currently have is that it sustained "moderate damage". Why would Porsche CPO the car if it took engine or frame damage though? I'm looking at the CPO as a nullifier to the accident, but it did happen.

Car #2 - 2008 Boxster S - CPO - 26,191 miles

Asking price: $35,990

Upgrades: Bose system, Carbon pkg, heated seats, 19" Boxster S aluminum wheels, windstop

Notes: This falls into IMS territory, which I was told can be engine killing. The dealer's response was that the major issues with IMS was between 2002-2005, and by 2008 most issues were resolved. Moreover, it is CPO, and therefore covered for 2 years after purchase.

Car #3 - 2011 Boxster S - NON-cpo - 33,675 miles

Asking Price: $45,788

Upgrades: Heated Seats, Sport Chrono pkg, Heated steering wheel, convenience pkg, Bose system, 19" Carrera Sport Wheel

Notes: I personally think the asking price is a few k too high. Moreover the lack of it being CPO scares the **** out of me. However, all other things aside, it's the cheapest-least-old S I could find at the moment, worth the risk?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would choose car #3.

The accident car would be out for me for the simple reason of the accident. The 2008 would be out because I prefer the DFI engine of the 2nd generation over the first generation engines.

The 2011 might still have a couple of months of factory warranty left.

·
Registered
432 Posts
When I bought my first Porsche (2008 Cayman) in 2013 it was from a Porsche dealership, when I asked why the car wasn't CPO he said that the car was too old (it had 33k miles on it). He very well could have been putting one past me (carfax was clean), but I'm wondering how a 7 year old car would be CPO.

I'd base which car to buy more on a test drive and looking over the condition of the paint then a spec sheet. I'd just use the spec sheet for determining a fair price after I found a car I liked.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I could write volumes on this topic from my buying journey last year, but the Reader's Digest version is below:

Car 1) Pass and skip all cars with a dirty Carfax or evidence of paint/body/repair work. Touch up like to a bumper is okay, but it can be tough to say that is the only work done.

Car 2) "The dealer's response was that the major issues with IMS was between 2002-2005, and by 2008 most issues were resolved." "most" is the 25,000 dollar question here. How lucky do you feel? If your budget allows, buy a 987.2. This gets you a zero chance of the dreaded IMS issue, plus many other problems with the 987.1.

Car 3) Way too much money IMO.

Be patient and search often (outside of your local area too), and you'll find your Boxster.

Good luck,

Eddie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could write volumes on this topic from my buying journey last year, but the Reader's Digest version is below:

Car 1) Pass and skip all cars with a dirty Carfax or evidence of paint/body/repair work. Touch up like to a bumper is okay, but it can be tough to say that is the only work done.

Car 2) "The dealer's response was that the major issues with IMS was between 2002-2005, and by 2008 most issues were resolved." "most" is the 25,000 dollar question here. How lucky do you feel? If your budget allows, buy a 987.2. This gets you a zero chance of the dreaded IMS issue, plus many other problems with the 987.1.

Car 3) Way too much money IMO.

Be patient and search often (outside of your local area too), and you'll find your Boxster.

Good luck,

Eddie
Yeah, sadly this is my conclusion, which is why I came on here wondering if someone could steer me otherwise. They all have a fatal flaw, but now that I have the taste of Porsche in my mouth and the green light from the wife my need for instantaneous gratification is killing me! :). I'm normally a patient man, but I find myself obsessing. You're right though, the decision is too big to be rash...

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you limited your choice to the three cars you mentioned I’d go with the newer 2011. I don’t have any experience purchasing a used Porsche. Having said that I looked online at used Boxster (Base) 2013’s and there are several under $40,000 on AutoTrader. Have you driven the base vs. the S? Are you sure you would prefer an older S vs. a newer Base? You’d probably get at least one year remaining on the original 2013’s warranty, assuming it was purchased no earlier than spring of 2012. If you haven’t spent any time in a Base model you might be able to rent one from Hertz… I did that in the fall of 2013… don’t know if they still have Boxsters in the “Dream Collection."

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I agree with Eddie on all three points.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The 08 would be fine. The dealer is correct the IMS was a big stink for 986 engine. I've been looking for a roller 987 for quite a while and none of the car were IMS issues that I've come across.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Not enough info. What gearboxes in each car? Do you want an S or a Base? #1 is a Base, #2 and #3 are S's. Hard to compare prices unless all are Base or S. Scared of a non-CPO car? Or scared of a car without a warranty of any kind (many '11s will still have some of the 4-year warranty left)?

Personally, I would't be worried much about IMS issues in an 08, especially if a PPI revealed all is OK.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Take your time and find the right car that makes you comfortable with your choice. If it is your case, i understand being itchy for a Boxster now that Spring is here. But get a car with piece (and peace) of mind.

will the dealer provide CPO on car #3? If he is motivated to move it, maybe they will help you.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I agree with the majority here -- keep looking
Have you tried the search page? Planet-9 Porsche Forum - Planet 9 Porsche Search
There's about 100 cars int he US between 30 & 40 grand listed today at Porsche dealers alone, not to mention private sales which are not listed there.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Its interesting to note that no one has mentioned bore scoring in relation to the 2008 car, that is assuming its a 3.4 I'm not sure what your opinions are on this in the US, but over here in the UK it is the biggest single concern when it comes to 987.1 3.4's.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I voted for 3 based on the fact that it is a 987.2 S

The price is high, but you are trying to buy at the peak of sports car season. If you can wait, keep looking the right one will come up and be less expensive. Prices will start to come down after June again. Also take note that very few 987.2's were sold in the US, so it is keeping the prices artificially high.

Reactions: [email protected]
1 - 15 of 15 Posts