Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't find this in a quick search of the forum. What car covers do folks recommend? I had one for a Triumph I had years ago that was similar to the FrogTogs material that motorcyclists use as rain suits, which I liked a lot - very soft and supple, repelled water effectively. I don't know what brand that was and it was long ago anyway. So any recommendations on something that will be friendly to the finish and repel water?

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I prefer the Kimberly-Clark Evolution fabric custom fitted car covers. It is paint repellent and not waterproof.. I have a set of their Frogg Togg boot covers. It is waterproof. The same material would keep the car dry underneath but if left unattended in direct sunlight could percolate trapped humidity and damage the paint.

·
Registered
34,415 Posts
I bought the outdoor car cover from Suncoast and I'm not really a fan. I wanted something that I could use to protect the car from the sun which this does but has too many things I don't like. For starters it is a bit tight on my '14 BS. It comes with an attached zippered case that I'm always worried will scratch the paint - it has a suction cup that you are supposed to attach to the windshield to anchor it down. I'm considering cutting it off. It has a couple of cords that presumably are used to attach to the car for a sturdier hold but in my case just make the install more difficult. And finally it has IMHO a overly large Porsche crest emblazoned on the front. If you are dealing with more extreme weather than this is probably a good choice. For my needs (sun protection), I could probably have gotten away with an interior car cover.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a set of their Frogg Togg boot covers. It is waterproof. The same material would keep the car dry underneath but if left unattended in direct sunlight could percolate trapped humidity and damage the paint.
This is a potential problem with waterproof materials. I haven't used their product for the 981 but I was very happy with Covercraft's Weathershield. It's also water repellent but not waterproof and designed for outdoor use. It does not provide much padding if that is what is desired. Covercraft has a info on their site describing the benefits of the different materials they offer.

It has a couple of cords that presumably are used to attach to the car for a sturdier hold but in my case just make the install more difficult.
If you have any wind you definitely want to secure the cover. I'd recommend picking up some tarp clips and bungee cords. Both can be found at Home Depot and probably similar stores (e.g Lowes, etc).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the Porsche Outdoor Cover for my 2014 Boxster S from Suncoast. Initially, I thought the cover was a nice fit for the car. I keep the car garaged, but wanted a cover for the days when I might take it to work it and it might be sitting out there in the sun for 12 hours. Also protection from some of the blowing dust. Well...to date, I have used it probably less than ten times. We had high winds one day (greater than 25 knots) and when I went out to the parking lot, I found the cover blown off the front of the car, a security police guy looking at my license plate through the plastic cover, and a guy standing out there. The security strap had been whipped by the wind and had been banging against the car next to me. Damaged the trim strips around the window. Cost me about $360. The poor guy parked next to me as he was sure I wouldn't ding his car. Today, the darn thing blew off the front again and the winds were really not that great. Certainly never reached 20 knots. Had a 2015 Corvette parked next to me today. Fortunately, no blowing strap this time and no damage to either car. I had noticed when first putting it on this morning that a seam had split about 6 inches in length. So...not happy at all. About $300 for the cover and $360 in damages thus far and I am now afraid to put that cover on my car.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've had a similar bad experience with mine - used about a half-dozen times and already has duct tape on it holding it together.

If somebody offered me a Porsche outdoor cover today for free I wouldn't take it. Buy something else. I'm just using a sunshade, xpel uv tint and a good layer of wax to protect it at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
229 Posts
Didn't find this in a quick search of the forum. What car covers do folks recommend? I had one for a Triumph I had years ago that was similar to the FrogTogs material that motorcyclists use as rain suits, which I liked a lot - very soft and supple, repelled water effectively. I don't know what brand that was and it was long ago anyway. So any recommendations on something that will be friendly to the finish and repel water?

Thanks
i have owned 2 covercraft covers one for my cayman and one for my m5 like them very much

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.