Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I decided to take the wheels off my 2014 Cayman S and clean them thoroughly and then apply some RejeX both inside and out. All went very well and they cleaned up nicely. My first snag was when I started to put them back on and had no idea which wheel went on which side. Previous tires I have had always had a rotation arrow so I didn't pay any attention where they came from as I rolled them around during the cleanup. I finally determined that the Goodyear Eagles that come on the car are not directional tires. Now my dilemma is if it OK to run them the opposite direction that they have been running. Intuitively (I have no idea if I'm right) I thought it would be better if I kept them on the same sides rather than spinning them backwards. The tires are in really good shape at 8,000 miles. I made my best guess as to which side they came from and put them on, but didn't tighten them down and left the car on the jacks. I then decided to check my work and let about ten pounds of air out of each passenger side tire. I then checked my TPMS and sure enough I had them on the wrong side as the display showed the drivers side tires being low. A few minutes later I had things switched and aired up. Back to normal with very clean wheels. This message is just a tip for you non-directional tire owners to pay attention to what you are doing when you remove all the wheels at one time. Also, anyone know if it is OK to run them backwards after a year of going the other way????

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Well, on a 986 it wouldn't matter; you could just go backwards and no one would know the difference! (I used to own a 986.)

Seriously, nice post. No TPMS on my 986, either..

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
851 Posts
Porsche doesn't recommend running them the other way around. If you read the manual it says you should note which wheel comes from which side and put it back on there.

In theory it shouldn't make any difference and some manufacturers recommend rotating the position of the tires to even out where. Though one you have a tire worn in one direction, it may not appreciate the other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts