Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would offer better performance, lowering spring kit or front & rear sway bar kit?

I know coil overs would be better than the lowering springs, they would have to come later.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,661 Posts
For what use? Bars don't degrade your ride & are cheaper to install. The CS can really use a stiffer front bar for the track. Springs lower the CG allow a little more camber and cost more to install.

Go with the bars & wait until you can afford the coil overs. Either option will require an alignment.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For what use? Bars don't degrade your ride & are cheaper to install. The CS can really use a stiffer front bar for the track. Springs lower the CG allow a little more camber and cost more to install.

Go with the bars & wait until you can afford the coil overs. Either option will require an alignment.
Use would be for street/twisty mountain driving.

I figured the bars would be better, but just wanted to check with those that know more than me. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Which would offer better performance, lowering spring kit or front & rear sway bar kit?

I know coil overs would be better than the lowering springs, they would have to come later.
I had TPC do the Stage 2 suspension conversion / upgrade on my 2006 Cayman S a month ago. Do it, do it, do it! It is unbelievable. I went with the race version, solid drop downs and toe links, adjustable and bigger sway bars front and rear, and race springs. The solid joints make a little noise as there is no rubber in them but it is worth it on the track! They do have a sport version that has some rubber that are quite if you want to sacrifice a little on performance. Have them set your car up for the best performance. Don't buy the parts and go to some one else for the installation. The set up is an art and they know what they are doing. Also keep in mind you get what you pay for so be careful of some of the so called "brand names" that are less expensive you can get on the internet. They are no where as good!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm for swaybars. If Casey at TPC says so, that's probably enough said, but my experience with the mod has been: no degradation of ride and better handling--sharper steering inputs and better stability in corners--at least it feels that way.
Go with the bars first.
BW

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you go sway bars (and that is my recommendation) look into Taretts, they are a hollow bar with the same strength as solid and about half the weight. Their kit also includes drop links, which are about three times the size of OEM, and all the hardware. They are adjustable and there is info all over the web for adjusting them according to what you are doing. These are on my list of improvements for my Boxster. Porsche 986 & 987 Products. :cheers:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info/advice!

Would I need to do both front and rear bars at the same time? If not, which would be best to do first?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Guess I'll be the first to go the other way and recommend springs - if your roads are smooth. Actually, if your roads are bad then both mods would have their drawbacks. Springs are much harder to install, as noted. Both mods will increase the single-corner wheelrate over bumps some. Both mods make the car a little less forgiving. Springs reduce the pitch change during braking and accel. I enjoy the lower CG on our good roads. If you are in NW SC, I could meet up with you sometime for a drive to say Highlands.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess I'll be the first to go the other way and recommend springs - if your roads are smooth. Actually, if your roads are bad then both mods would have their drawbacks. Springs are much harder to install, as noted. Both mods will increase the single-corner wheelrate over bumps some. Both mods make the car a little less forgiving. Springs reduce the pitch change during braking and accel. I enjoy the lower CG on our good roads. If you are in NW SC, I could meet up with you sometime for a drive to say Highlands.
Yeah, I'm in the upstate (Greenville area). Would be cool to meet up sometime. I've only taken the car in the mountains once, since I haven't had it that long. However, I ride my Harley in the mountains quite a bit. Sounds like you're pretty familiar with the mountains around here, so you know what the road conditions are like. Some are pretty good, some are chewed up.

I'm just lookin' for ways to make my little 2.7L even better than it already is. It's the best handlin' car I've driven, but I wouldn't mind improvin' it even more. I'd also like to open up the 2.7 more to unleash a little more power that's choked up in there. The factory has to cater to too many people, so they have to sacrifice in different areas to reach the largest market. That means there's always room for improvement. :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks for the info/advice!

Would I need to do both front and rear bars at the same time? If not, which would be best to do first?
Try to do both front and rear that way you'll get the most out of the mod. Springs will lower your car and you'll constantly be bumping the front until you get used to it being low enough to no longer clear parking stops and sidewalks. Springs will also stiffen your ride to the point of possibly being uncomfortable for daily driving. If you lurk around the forums long enough you'll find a lot of owners who have installed springs have gone back to OEM suspension but rarely will you find anyone who has removed better sway bars. If your not into adjusting sway bars look into the ROW M030 suspension upgrade from Porsche and sold through Suncoast Porsche for $1088. It includes all the suspension upgrade you'll probably ever need, unless you seriously turn your car into a spec car, without sacrificing much in ride quality. I watched a Boxster, with ROW M030 at a recent AX and was so impressed with the way the car handled it sold me on the upgrade.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
as removed better sway bars. If your not into adjusting sway bars look into the ROW M030 suspension upgrade from Porsche and sold through Suncoast Porsche for $1088. It includes all the suspension upgrade you'll probably ever need, unless you seriously turn your car into a spec car, without sacrificing much in ride quality. I watched a Boxster, with ROW M030 at a recent AX and was so impressed with the way the car handled it sold me on the upgrade.:cheers:
987 and ROW?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try to do both front and rear that way you'll get the most out of the mod. Springs will lower your car and you'll constantly be bumping the front until you get used to it being low enough to no longer clear parking stops and sidewalks. Springs will also stiffen your ride to the point of possibly being uncomfortable for daily driving. If you lurk around the forums long enough you'll find a lot of owners who have installed springs have gone back to OEM suspension but rarely will you find anyone who has removed better sway bars. If your not into adjusting sway bars look into the ROW M030 suspension upgrade from Porsche and sold through Suncoast Porsche for $1088. It includes all the suspension upgrade you'll probably ever need, unless you seriously turn your car into a spec car, without sacrificing much in ride quality. I watched a Boxster, with ROW M030 at a recent AX and was so impressed with the way the car handled it sold me on the upgrade.:cheers:
That kit looked pretty good, until I saw it didn't fit my '07 Cayman. :(

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Having nice adjustable bars and a consult with your supplier will give you the optimal place to start your adjustable sway placement. Consulting with Tom or Mike at our shop traditionally comes with an education as well.

We only sell bars in pairs as they are designed to work as pairs. Contact BillC for links if you want quiet ones. I owe him as we are working on my 914 this weekend.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are correct it is not for a Cayman. Always helpful to state what year and model car you have in your post.:cheers:
You're absolutely correct. I'm normally pretty good about that. I guess I forgot this time. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.