Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Both are great cars, obviously you get a warranty and the newest gadgets with the newer Gen 2 base Cayman vs. the older Cayman S, but you get more power, bigger/redder brakes, larger engine, etc. with the older "S". I don't think you can go wrong with either, it just depends on what you want more and what you plan to do with your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe that in the new Caymans/Boxsters that the front brakes between Base and S versions are the same (but just painted different colors). I believe that the rear calipers in the S may be a bit bigger...

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I would get a 2008 Cayman S, CPO from a dealer. You will save money, you will have a six year, 100,000 mile warranty (from the original in service date), more power, and more torque (this is a big consideration for street driving).

·
Registered
160 Posts
For me the choice was easy...I traded my 2007 CS for a 2009 base Cayman...but I don't plan to race or track the car....unless you are going to race folks...and the 0.5 sec is acceleration is critical I would get the CS...it seems to me better built, higher grade materials...plenty fast for me and handling for street purposes seem close...oh...and I think the newer Gen 2 cars ride better without sacraficing handling...I also like the fact that the RMS and intermediate chain issues (hopefully solved without adding new problems) are gone and the PCM system/BT/USB/iPod works much better...at least as good as buying a few year old Ford....

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would get a 2008 Cayman S, CPO from a dealer. You will save money, you will have a six year, 100,000 mile warranty (from the original in service date), more power, and more torque (this is a big consideration for street driving).
What MAK said! I think you'll find life cycle cost to be lower in this scenario, and you get more performance (isn't that why you make the compromises to get a sports car?)

·
Registered
160 Posts
back to basics....what do you want from the car....S if you track/DE...other wise the base 2009 is much better....drive both and make your own decision...and be aware of the potential issues with Gen 1 versions....your choice...

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
What are the potential issues with Gen 1 Cayman S?
As I understand it there have been problems with RMS, real main seal and the intermediate shaft....
Well, that's not really true . . . most of those problems were associated with the previous motor in the 986 Boxsters. RMS and IMS problems have been reported very rarely in the 987.1 cars.

The main issues with the 1st gen Caymans have been with problems related to hard use on the track, usually with R-compound tires: oil ingestion and starvation, power steering pump failures, and occasional ABS issues. These have not been an issue under normal street use.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you are going to get an automatic, then go with the 2009 PDK. The PDK+2.9L will give you comparable acceleration to the tiptronic+3.4.

The 2009 base will also give you better fuel economy and a gentler ride. I've heard the clutch is lighter and it features hill assist. There's new wizzy electronics (iPod/iPhone connectivity and other stuff too). But if a visceral driving experience is the most important part of the car to you (and many on this board!) then the 2006-2008 S is the way to go.

The 2006 doesn't have the TPMS. That's good if you like switching wheels. That's bad if you have a slow leak and damage a tire, damage a rim, or crash before realizing the problem. I had a slow leak in a tire and TPMS warned about 5 PSI low; looking at the car even while knowing it was low, I couldn't really see the problem. I wouldn't want my first inkling of a low-pressure tire to occur as I rounded a sharp bend at 2x the suggested speed.

From Pre-owned Vehicles - Home - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG you can do a pre-owned search and find all pre-owned Porsches at certified dealers in the country. Even if you don't want to buy from half-way across the country, you can at least get an idea of what's out there and what the offering prices are.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If they were the same year and same options for the same money...I might take an S over a base...assuming it didn't ride like my 2007 CS...for me the base 09 is a no brainer over the 2007 CS...and that is exactly where I put my money...but remember I don't do DE, street race or wish to win traffic light events...but just my opinion

·
Registered
144 Posts
With the upgrades to the '09 to the base--larger brakes, 6 speed, etc. it makes it more difficult to justify the $10K for just the additional horsepower the S has. In my opinion this is even more so when you compare the '09 base to prior years S models. I might have just sucked it up and paid the additional $10K for an S except for the exceptional deal I got on a new '09 base. For me it was more like $18K difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.