Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Which OEM Porsche Tire do you prefer for your 987?

• Michelin Pilot Sport

Votes: 48 60.8%
  • Bridgestone Potenza

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Continental ContiSportTouring

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Other???

Votes: 8 10.1%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, folks. I am scheduled to receive a set of 18" CS wheels (black painted with silver on the spoke surface and rims) next week, just in time as my current tires (PS with 17" wheels) are starting to show their age. I do not have PASM, and I generally do not track the car, though an HPDE may not be out of the question.

I keep hearing good and bad things about the Pilot Sports, Potenzas, ContiSportContacts, etc. etc. Thus, this poll. Based on the different N-rated tires available for standard size Porsche wheels (no 20" or 21" here, sorry), which do you prefer? Would rather not hear from others with the 17 inch wheels (since I have them now and have been perfectly happy with the PS's for 20k miles), but folks with 18's or 19's. THANX.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
OK, folks. I am scheduled to receive a set of 18" CS wheels (black painted with silver on the spoke surface and rims) next week, just in time as my current tires (PS with 17" wheels) are starting to show their age. I do not have PASM, and I generally do not track the car, though an HPDE may not be out of the question.

I keep hearing good and bad things about the Pilot Sports, Potenzas, ContiSportTourings, etc. etc. Thus, this poll. Based on the different N-rated tires available for standard size Porsche wheels (no 20" or 21" here, sorry), which do you prefer? Would rather not hear from others with the 17 inch wheels (since I have them now and have been perfectly happy with the PS's for 20k miles), but folks with 18's or 19's. THANX.
My 2010 CS came with 18" and Bridgestones, Like them a lot on the street and the track. I have not had the other tires on my car, so can not compare brands.

·
Registered
502 Posts

I keep hearing good and bad things about the Pilot Sports, Potenzas, ContiSportTourings, etc. etc. Thus, this poll. Based on the different N-rated tires available for standard size Porsche wheels (no 20" or 21" here, sorry), which do you prefer? Would rather not hear from others with the 17 inch wheels (since I have them now and have been perfectly happy with the PS's for 20k miles), but folks with 18's or 19's. THANX.
Car and driver did a summer performance tire review that included the PS2, conti's, bridgestone, dunlop, and more.

LINK
Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 - Comparison Tests - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

They compared noise, dry grip, wet grip, ride quality, and a few other points. The PS2 was not the best in every category but did came out on top overall. The Hankook V12 (not OEM) are getting some good reviews and were ranked 2nd in that C&D review. It is also nice that the cost is around half compared to PS2's

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I just sold my set of 18" with PS2s still installed. I thought the ride quality was great and after 12.5k miles, they still had plenty of tread left front AND rear. I think the buyer was a little surprised at this... I have had bridgestones on another car and the treadlife was not as good!

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Knowing that every car has different characteristics with different tires, that's why I wanted to do this little poll. Yeah, price figures into it as well, the PS always seems to cost more than the other OEM tires, sometimes substantially so.

Car and driver did a summer performance tire review that included the PS2, conti's, bridgestone, dunlop, and more.

LINK
Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 - Comparison Tests - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

They compared noise, dry grip, wet grip, ride quality, and a few other points. The PS2 was not the best in every category but did came out on top overall. The Hankook V12 (not OEM) are getting some good reviews and were ranked 2nd in that C&D review. It is also nice that the cost is around half compared to PS2's

·
Registered
874 Posts
I selected "other" and my rationale for this is my recent purchase of the N rated Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (I use 19's). They are rated very near or better than the Michelins and they were significantly cheaper at the time of purchase. I'll see if my opinion changes over time, but my experience to date says they are a better value.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
My 2009 CS came with Continental ContiSportContact 3's, which are not listed in the poll and have worked decently so far, although I still prefer Michelin PS2's. I've never heard of a Cayman coming with Conti Touring tires...

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2009 CS came with Continental ContiSportContact 3's, which are not listed in the poll and have worked decently so far, although I still prefer Michelin PS2's. I've never heard of a Cayman coming with Conti Touring tires...
Good reason - I had my old 1998 Passat on the brain :sleep:when I did up the poll. (It had "ContiTouringContact" tires.) I meant ContiSportContact tires!! If I could re-edit the poll now I would correct it.

However, I assume your preference is still the PS2.

Thanx :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
LINK

The Hankook V12 (not OEM) are getting some good reviews and were ranked 2nd in that C&D review.
Go with the Hankook V12 tires, half the price with top performance on street and track. I have them on currently and I am completely satisfied street and as track tires, they are my recommendation for you. For me, I have found my brand in conclusion from my tire testing experiences. Previous tires, in order.. PS2's, ContiSport 2's, Hankook V12 EVO's. The rebate is still going on until May 31st 2010 for $50 rebate check on a set..

Great Catch!

I'm not part of the Hankook marketing team, but if any Hankook staff read this, please contact me at [email protected] as well as sponsorship with my next set of sponsored tires : )

http://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tires-wheels/38350-installed-volk-racing-te37-gunmetal-silver-arctic-silver.html

My previous set of tires were Continental ContiSport 2 Tires. The 4 tires cost me $1200 and I wore them out in 6K miles. They had great traction and handling at the track, but I was shocked and was questioning how long I could keep racing at that expense. I decided to give the Hankook V12's a try after reading this Car & Driver Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 and for a set of 4 Hankook tires at about half of the price. I spent about $700 on the set.

After racing with the Hankook V12's, I am very impressed and satisfied with the purchase. The traction was amazing and I believe my setup with the Hankook 295's on the 11" rear, I'm getting much more rear traction and control. On my front tires, I felt even less understeer than the ContiSports and I even went from a 245 down to 235's on the Hankooks because of my new Volk TE37's +39 offset. I felt great confidence with these tires, very controllable for me. One thing I noticed was how quiet these tires are and the smoothness over bumps in the road. In the design, there is a thick 1 inch center spine that has the Hankook text scribed and I think this is playing a great deal in quietness and road comfort. I highly recommend the Hankook V12 Evo tires, they perform great on the track and street, a real performance bang for your buck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Go with the Hankook V12 tires, half the price with top performance on street and track. I have them on currently and I am completely satisfied street and as track tires, they are my recommendation for you. For me, I have found my brand in conclusion from my tire testing experiences. Previous tires, in order.. PS2's, ContiSport 2's, Hankook V12 EVO's. The rebate is still going on until May 31st 2010 for $50 rebate check on a set..
Great review Law...you sure you don't work for them :hilarious:
I may go to a set when I need new rubber (great price and high rating). Let us know how they wear and perform with some use.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Tell you what: either brand mentioned of the poll has got to be better than the Yoko !

Under no circumstances buy the Yokohama Advan S4 for your cayman/boxster. It's the cheapest of the lot but the crappiest tire I have ever had the displeasure of running on any of my cars ;-) useless on the street, laughable on DEs.

Anyone running the Re11 on the street ?

·
Northeast Member
751 Posts
I have the Bridgestones on mine and at 4400 miles, the tread is already at about 50-60%. I don't track the car and drive it pretty conservatively. I am a little disappointed with this, but I bought a car in stock and didn't have a choice on the tires. The treadware is rated at 140, so it is about the fastes wearing tire they put on these things. When it comes time to replace, I will probably look at the Continentals or Goodyears.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm all for saving money....

.......but not on tyres. PS2's all the way.:dance:
What other tires have you tried on your cayman? Michelan does make a good tire and you pay for all that advertising they do to get them. I would not shut my eyes to another tire just because it cost less. Quality and cost are not always equal. When a tire that is half the price scores very close to the ps2 and even beats it in some test...it is worth a second look.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was the Yoko an OEM option?
I noticed that there are N-rated Yoko Advans on the Discount Tire site, but have not seen N-rated Eagle F1's...

I had Yoko's on my '86 Celica GT-S and hated them (and the car was a lemon too). So none for me thank you.

The Hankook V12 and Goodyear Eagle F1 seem to be interesting alternatives to the PS2.......

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Porsche employees in more than one magazine article have said that the N1 version of the Bridgestone RE050 is the best handling tire they ship on sports cars. One test driver compared it to the Michelin Sport Cup. We'll see... I picked up a new take-off set of Bridgestones for a low price, allowing me to experiment a bit. While there are things I like about the PS2s that came with our CS, like low road noise and resistance to hydroplaning, I'd rate the dry handling and steering responsiveness as just okay. And the PS2s have gotten very expensive.

I think the Continental SC3 N0s that came on our Boxster feel significantly more responsive than the PS2s. With only 3000 miles on them we can't tell much about wear yet. The SC3s are noisier than the PS2s.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I selected "other" and my rationale for this is my recent purchase of the N rated Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (I use 19's). They are rated very near or better than the Michelins and they were significantly cheaper at the time of purchase. I'll see if my opinion changes over time, but my experience to date says they are a better value.
+1... So far so good! Still waiting for my $80 rebate from Goodyear.

Funny thing is... I thought to myself... Great, I'm buying American... until I was up close up cleaning my wheels and saw the stamp on the tires that read "Made in Germany"...:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Porsche employees in more than one magazine article have said that the N1 version of the Bridgestone RE050 is the best handling tire they ship on sports cars. One test driver compared it to the Michelin Sport Cup. We'll see... I picked up a new take-off set of Bridgestones for a low price, allowing me to experiment a bit. While there are things I like about the PS2s that came with our CS, like low road noise and resistance to hydroplaning, I'd rate the dry handling and steering responsiveness as just okay. And the PS2s have gotten very expensive.
blueone, are these the standard RE050A or the RE050A Pole Position tires you're talking about above? Tirerack has both listed (and the Pole Positions are only $5 more for the fronts).

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts

I keep hearing good and bad things about the Pilot Sports, Potenzas, ContiSportContacts, etc. etc. Thus, this poll. Based on the different N-rated tires available for standard size Porsche wheels (no 20" or 21" here, sorry), which do you prefer? Would rather not hear from others with the 17 inch wheels (since I have them now and have been perfectly happy with the PS's for 20k miles), but folks with 18's or 19's. THANX.
I liked the way Pilots work on the car. The steering feels great with them, but they can be harsh, especially in 19". I think 18" Pilots might be very nice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.