Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost time to start looking for a remap now all these other performance mods have been done

Full IPE exhaust system inc manifolds & hfr 200 cel cats
IPD Plenum
GT3 TB
Induction kit

My questions are,

1. My car has PASM with the Sport button fitted. Does this button also change the mapping as well as the suspension and if so how would this be affected by a remap?

2. Any recommendations? I keep getting drawn to the Softronic remap

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Consider a chat with Shiv at Open Flash Tablet. I do not know where he is with the 987.2 build and EU cars. If he is anywhere close to ready for these, you will want to at least hear him out on what he provides. I continue to enjoy what the OFT has done for my CS with just mild mods. No dyno yet as I am waiting for the plenum and TB. Will run before and after and post when done.

Looks like this is the first of the "many opinions" to come.

BTW, nice build out in mods.

Good Luck!!

Reactions: Wulfy66

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
I had the Softronic flash for several years. My engine blew and had it rebuilt to a 3.6L. The Softronic flash didn't work with my new build and Scott at Softronic said I needed to give him another $1,600 for another flash for the upgrade. I'm glad I didn't go that route because I had some problems with my engine and Flat 6 rebuilt it again to a 3.8L. My guess is Softronic would have wanted another $1,600 for that build. I bought the Open Flash Tablet from Shiv and couldn't be happier. He will customize the flash for any configuration you may have.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I had the Softronic flash for several years. My engine blew and had it rebuilt to a 3.6L. The Softronic flash didn't work with my new build and Scott at Softronic said I needed to give him another $1,600 for another flash for the upgrade. I'm glad I didn't go that route because I had some problems with my engine and Flat 6 rebuilt it again to a 3.8L. My guess is Softronic would have wanted another $1,600 for that build. I bought the Open Flash Tablet from Shiv and couldn't be happier. He will customize the flash for any configuration you may have.
I guess the obvious question is: did the Softronic flash have anything to do with blowing your engine?

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
I guess the obvious question is: did the Softronic flash have anything to do with blowing your engine?
I'll say no, but it did raise the rev limiter which helped blow the rods because I took the car to 7500 RPMs too many times. I made sure the Open Flash didn't raise the limiter. I usually have to learn things the hard way. :(
My engine is built to peak the power at around 6500 RPMs now, so I make it a point to shift earlier.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
DMN:

Your experience does not surprise me. Softronic does nice work but they are not very flexible in their policies. Also think their instructions are a little ambiguous. I had some big problems with my install. Now that it's in, though, I really like it. I have standard GT3 Plenum/TB, Softronic 4.0 Flash and a cat-back. There is more power. I have no idea how much, but it feels a lot better and more linear and intuitive than stock.

OP: If you are going to do the Softronic flash yourself, DO get a 10 Amp battery charger as instructed. You'll need it. All the fans come on during the flash and they draw 40 amps.

Also, use a WINDOWS laptop. Not a mac running windows in a "virtual machine". It won't work. What's worse, it will appear to work until you're in the middle of the flash and the fans are running, then it freezes and you don't know what to do. You can fry the CPU, but usually you can have Softronic re-zap it and that'll solve it. ....Ask me how I know! Doh!!!

:cheers:

Reactions: Wulfy66

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
Also, use a WINDOWS laptop. Not a mac running windows in a "virtual machine". It won't work. What's worse, it will appear to work until you're in the middle of the flash and the fans are running, then it freezes and you don't know what to do. You can fry the CPU, but usually you can have Softronic re-zap it and that'll solve it. ....Ask me how I know! Doh!!!

Another advantage to the Open Source Flash tablet is it doesn't require a PC to flash the CPU. The tablet does the flashing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
On the open source flash how can i be smarter than people who do this everyday for a living whereas this is a hobby for me and I'm not an engineer?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Take a look at this thread titled, OFT 101:

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-boxster-modifications/100460-openflash-tablet-101-a.html

Shiv, the developer of OFT or at least the guru, sends you a map to install yourself. The map he sends is based on your mods. He will also tweak the map to your liking. Like throttle response, rev limit like DMN987S states above and other parameters. Shiv is gold to work with!

Install is as easy as you see in the video.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
DMN:

Your experience does not surprise me. Softronic does nice work but they are not very flexible in their policies. Also think their instructions are a little ambiguous. I had some big problems with my install. Now that it's in, though, I really like it. I have standard GT3 Plenum/TB, Softronic 4.0 Flash and a cat-back. There is more power. I have no idea how much, but it feels a lot better and more linear and intuitive than stock.

OP: If you are going to do the Softronic flash yourself, DO get a 10 Amp battery charger as instructed. You'll need it. All the fans come on during the flash and they draw 40 amps.

I'm a Mac guy and heard the same thing from someone else regarding using one running windows via bootcamp. FVD sells an ECU kit which doesn't need a windows laptop, anyone have any advice regarding their setup? I've been pleased with some of their other products in the past.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Their Flash did nothing for my power - actually was worse than stock. It was much leaner...

I'm a Mac guy and heard the same thing from someone else regarding using one running windows via bootcamp. FVD sells an ECU kit which doesn't need a windows laptop, anyone have any advice regarding their setup? I've been pleased with some of their other products in the past.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
RD:

If I'm not mistaken, Boot Camp actually boots the machine in windows. I think you can do that with Softronics. You can't do Virtual Machine where Windows is running inside a Mac window. If you use Boot Camp and know what you're doing, it should work, but you should check with Softronics before you do it. And make sure your charger will put out at least 10 amps. The battery needs to be fully charged and the charger needs to be on the battery terminals, well, one to ground and one to the positive battery terminal, before you start the flash process.

Softronics software really works and adapts itself to your exhaust etc. My setup works very well. I wouldn't buy software based on whether it's MAC friendly. I'd buy it based on whether it works well and doesn't wreck your car. I'm only familiar with Softronics on this. They're stuff works but is expensive. My car feels great and that's what I wanted. I'm not terribly concerned about the numbers, although I'm sure my HP and torque are up a bit from stock. What's important to me is that the car is more fun and more intuitive to drive.

This OpenFlash sounds pretty cool though. I'd check that out as well.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
For those interested in using a handheld tuner, i.e the mygenius tool, there is another German vendor that has popped up on Ebay: OBD TOOL Chiptuning PORSCHE CAYMAN (987) 3.4L S 217kW/291HP ME7.8.2 295PS MyGen | eBay

The principle for these "canned tunes" are the same regardless of brand; you give them your OEM file, they take the VIN etc and "modify" an already tuned file with your info. Then send it back to you. You then have one stock file, the one you read out with the OBD-tool, and the "tuned" file. The results of tuning this way will vary, as threads on this topic have shown. Some cars will show a gain, others not. Since every car/engine is different a custom tune is always preferable. It is quite infected when you start to discuss it, needless to say you have to make up your own mind if it is worth the money or not.

The link is to the 987.1 CS but they basically have files for all Caymans....even the untunable 981, so I guess they finally found a way to read out a GTS map and re-sell it as a "tune" for a 981 CS ? :taunt:

Having said all the above and with what I know myself about the subject, if I had a 987.1 the OFT would be my first and only choice.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Their Flash did nothing for my power - actually was worse than stock. It was much leaner...
mungee:

A couple thoughts here:

Cayman R might already be pretty well maxed out tuning-wise.

I got not just a Flash, but also a GT3 plenum and throttle body AND a cat-back exhaust which removed two cats from my exhaust without causing any lights to go on either on my dash nor at the Illinois EPA inspection center. My car is a lowly '06 CS, so I probably had more to gain from this. I tried my car with the exhaust and plenum with stock software and did not like the way it ran. After the Flash (Softronic 4.0), very nice indeed.

If your car ran lean, have you ruled out intake and/or vacuum leaks etc? Did it fix itself when you re-installed the stock file? I've never heard that a car ran worse than stock before.

-TB

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got not just a Flash, but also a GT3 plenum and throttle body AND a cat-back exhaust which removed two cats from my exhaust without causing any lights to go on either on my dash nor at the Illinois EPA inspection center. My car is a lowly '06 CS, so I probably had more to gain from this. I tried my car with the exhaust and plenum with stock software and did not like the way it ran. After the Flash (Softronic 4.0), very nice indeed.

If your car ran lean, have you ruled out intake and/or vacuum leaks etc? Did it fix itself when you re-installed the stock file? I've never heard that a car ran worse than stock before.
Then why did it made so much power with a BGB tune??

Did you dyno before and after the tune?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well after several recommendations on BoXa.net I am taking it to Chipwizards to do their magic on it. Will report back once it's been done :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts