Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Cayman S is four days old (to me) and I know already I need a shortshift kit. I"ve owned 10 BMW's over the last 14 years and put SSK's in every one of them. This Cayman has shorter throws as stock, but I still think I'd like them a little shorter, and a little less slop. I think Vertex has a kit for $150, is this the best buy?

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
I just installed a B&M in my Boxster. Easy install, no modifications and a great feel. Do a search here, there are a lot of fans of the B&M. Bumperplugs.com sells them for $199.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the B&M and love it. Have helped install 6 of these over the past year and everyone is thrilled with results. At times Bumperplugs does advertise some special on this site for the B&M.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
If it were me I'd stick with the factory unit,....it's not the cheapest solution, but I like the fact you don't have to break apart the factory shifter to install. It just comes as a whole new unit to install very quickly. It will also be covered by any remaining warranty. As others have said they do go on sale quite often, and some new ones even show up on eBay now and then for a good price.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Like Atlas I chose the OEM SSK because I did not feel comfortable taking apart the internals of the shifter. Very happy with the reduction in the throw.

·
Zone 1 Member
79 Posts
I just had my dealer install the B&M SSK in my 08 CS and I totally love it! They have installed many of these for people opting for a SSK that didn't want the factory. It will not void any warranty if they install this at the dealer, not sure if you do install yourself. From what others say, the feel of the B&M is a lot tighter and more precise. Dan

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Check out the Agency Power short shifter and shift linkage guys. Great buy at $300 for the pair or only $200 for the shifter. We have sold hundreds of these. Made in the USA. The shift linkage really helps give you a solid shift. Here is a link to install instructions on a Cayman too - Agency Power» Blog Archive » Porsche Short Shifter Installation

100's sold for the Cayman? Or 100's sold for Porsches? Or 100's sold for all different makes? Looks solid.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the B&M, the install was not difficult but took some time and I like the shifter. There is one point that is rarely mentioned however that would drive me to buy the OEM kit if I did it again. If you look at the aftermarket they do not use the nylon glide bushing in the side shift rod. The stock part has a nylon bushing that snaps over the side shift rod and that rides in the shift mechanism. The ball on the end of the shift shaft is the same size as the opening in the shift mechanism and does not use the nylon bushing and it gets a little sloppy. The OEM uses a nylon bushing and IMHO would stay tighter.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,854 Posts
I prefer the factory unit, as it relocates the fulcrum and maintains the original cable interface geometry. Just my :2cents: Many others have had success with the B&M or similar units, at a lower initial cost.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I bought a B and M copy from e bay, cost me 60 uk pounds about 80 USD. Fits as well as the B and M works very smoothly , no isses with notchy or sloppy feel. A lot cheaper than either B and M or OEM porsche at a fraction of the cost. I bought a used OEM shift lever from e bay so I can revert back to stock should i ever decide to. The key to fitting either short shift is to ensure the cables are adjusted correctly before refitting. On the B and M units the best way to achieve this is to buy a lockbridge insert from porsche ( a few dollars) then clip the gear linkage in the correct position before marking the cable positions before removal. When refitting the modified shift , ensure the cables go back in exactly the same location using the marks you made. This ensures the shift isnt compromised in position resulting in a notchy or difficult gear change in certain gears. The OEM porsche unit comes with its own lockbridge for ease of installation.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not sure which is better but I have the OEM and it's really nice. As with most things though (while the car is under warranty), I'd go OEM if I can somehow find a way to get it done and keep costs under control.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Installed the B&M in my 2006 CS (back when I first got it) and never looked back. Very nice product and you can get it for a really good price from Eric at Bumperplugs.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
+1 on factory. What I liked was that the install was simpler than others I've seen. Once the center console is removed, just unscrew the old shifter and screw in the new one.

-Moto

1 - 20 of 38 Posts