Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while driving home I took a rock to the windshield. Unfortunately it hit at the lower edge and within minutes it ran to where it about 10 inches long. I expect by morning it will halfway across the window.

So I went to the Safelite website and it gives me four options. You have choice between green tint and green tint with a grey shade at the top. You also have a 2 leaded vs a 4 leaded version. The 2 lead is for rain sensor and the 4 lead is for rain sensor and GPS. As I have the Nav system I am assuming I have the 4 lead version. As to the grey shade I opted for it but I am not sure the more I think about it.

My appointment is on Tuesday and I am sure I have time to make a change as this happened after closure.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Today while driving home I took a rock to the windshield. Unfortunately it hit at the lower edge and within minutes it ran to where it about 10 inches long. I expect by morning it will halfway across the window.

So I went to the Safelite website and it gives me four options. You have choice between green tint and green tint with a grey shade at the top. You also have a 2 leaded vs a 4 leaded version. The 2 lead is for rain sensor and the 4 lead is for rain sensor and GPS. As I have the Nav system I am assuming I have the 4 lead version. As to the grey shade I opted for it but I am not sure the more I think about it.

My appointment is on Tuesday and I am sure I have time to make a change as this happened after closure.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Scott
Bummer about the rock, what no Clearplex? ;)

Sounds like you found the right version (4-lead), as for tint, grey would probably be my choice as well.

·
Registered
825 Posts
It is a downer, I caught a rock a couple of months ago.

Maybe you can call Safelite and have them check your VIN to see what you had as OE. My replacement place did that and then ordered through dealer.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Can I ask how much your replacement costs were?

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
My wife had her windshield replaced by Safelite last Thursday and her deductible was $50. They have a mobile van that will do the replacement at your home or place of business. All that's required is good visibility.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Just my deductible. There was no "generic" for my 987. There was confusion that required the VIN because of specific features that affect windshield glass.

Oops. Just realized you might have meant total cost. The invoice was around $960 or so. I'd have to dig it up for a more exact number.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Get OEM. Windshield prices vary, but its like 750-850 + install.

SafeLite (outsourced for most auto glass insurance) will try their best to get you to choose aftermarket glass because they save money.

Every experience with aftermarket/ non OEM glass has been really poor for me on other cars. The aftermarket stuff is always lower quality and doesn't hit perfect.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Do these windshields have the antennas embedded? I've wondered about replacing with non oem parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called and changed my order to NOT have the grey tint at the top as I don't see any on the original glass. I am having it installed in the morning. A little over $600 at my local Safelite. I have had numerous windshields (Colorado leads the country in windshield replacement with the average lifespan of a windshield being 9 months) in the past from Safelite and have generally been happy. I had one that was wavy but they replaced it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts