Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

3441 - 3460 of 3579 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I think this is undoubtedly under protection against "unusual and cruel punishment".

It certainly follows the President's efforts to bypass laws and Consitution every way possible. This will NOT stand.

/sarcasm

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,442
Top Tier Whining

The press schedule: https://kinja.com/poolreports

Including today there will have been at least nine "Holiday Parties" at the WH including two today: 2:35 and 4:15. But none for the press.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,443
WOTD - Darwin?

Every June, the taking of Senior Photos became a thing. It wasn't good enough to just have a picture taken in a studio. Year after year, I've read that those people doing this have been warned. Stay of the train tracks. Its trespassing and you can die. And year after year, people ignore it, trespass, and die. One example. There are many, many examples

People just won't listen and pay the price :cry: Sad. Not learning from history is very sad. Here's the latest

Climate protesters (terrorists?) trying to block a train - a train, at night. :oops: The senior pictures are during the day. But at night?

This will not end well. If this continues, Darwin will win and I find this natural selection very sad. ? Their lives are far more important than making a statement no one will pay attention to.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,444
WOTD - A lump of coal for you, "bah humbug", and political correctness in the 1840s.

Like I am sure many people, I've watched many a version of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. In HS we had to read A Tale of Two Cities. Mr. Dickens is considered by many to be the finest Victorian author. When I heard the BBC and FX were televising a new version, I wanted to see it. Apparantly the BBC is doing it over 3 nights, FX had it on last night. There will be no spoilers here. How can you spoil a 180 year old novel? You already know how it ends. Lets go to one of the many trailers.

So I turned on the TV late and saw the ending. I know, how lame. :rolleyes: and from watching 3 minutes my reaction was WTH did I just see?:oops: But I had taped it and started to watch the beginning and thought "WTH" is this? The best scene after 20 mins was when Mr. Scrooge had put 4 lumps of coal in Mr. Cratchets fireplace and good old Bob was trying to light those lumps of coal.:LOL: Reading the words is one thing. Actually seeing 4 lumps of coal is something else. No wonder the windows were frozen.

BAH HUMBUG!

About that time I gave up. This movie is dark, very dark. I don't mean dark like gloomy and a downer. No, its dark, really dark. Can't see much of anything. It was like one of those episodes of GOT where you couldn't see anything going on. So I went to read the review. I wasn't sure if I wanted to invest three hours of my life in watching this thing. And what do I find?

CNN https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/19/entertainment/a-christmas-carol-review/index.html

"Adapted with considerable liberties" Ya think?
"... not enough to recommend watching it" :oops: Even CNN doesn't like it?

Lets see what the BBC viewers think

Did I forget to mention its rated MA? I wouldn't have kids watching this.

"Why BBC think they need to spice up a well written much loved piece of literature with swear words and psychobabble is beyond me."

"families best put the children to bed before firing up FX's A Christmas Carol,"

Why would anyone ruin a classic novel?

Scathing review

"The result is that FX has made a Christmas Carol that very much isn't for children — seriously, the wee ones will be either bored or scandalized — and probably isn't really for adults either."

Now I understand why I couldn't get past the first 20 mins. IMO, Hollywood has messed up somewhat classic movies like Ghostbusters and I'm sure the results of those failures were represented in the Box Office. I hear that the new Star Wars Movie is doing poorly too. Like I Said, I started at the "end" and what was there? I'll let Hollywood Reporter explain it:

"I can make an argument that what Knight has decided to do with Mary [Mrs. Cratchett] both enhances the critique of class and colonialism in the text and introduces a problematic ... racial angle the movie is in no way equipped to explore, but that's a different conversation. ... FX's A Christmas Carol is designed to alienate the Dickens brand's traditional core audience"

Good move. Irritate viewers at Christmas with an adaption of a true classic. A good whine to end the year.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,446
WOTD - A lump of coal for you, "bah humbug", and political correctness in the 1840s.

This movie is dark, very dark. I don't mean dark like gloomy and a downer. No, its dark, really dark. Can't see much of anything. It was like one of those episodes of GOT where you couldn't see anything going on. So I went to read the review. I wasn't sure if I wanted to invest three hours of my life in watching this thing. And what do I find?

CNN https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/19/entertainment/a-christmas-carol-review/index.html

"Adapted with considerable liberties" Ya think?
"... not enough to recommend watching it" :oops: Even CNN doesn't like it?

...Good move. Irritate viewers at Christmas with an adaption of a true classic. A good whine to end the year.
Since I already seen Die Hard a million times, I made the mistake of trying to watch more of this. Big mistake

Disgusting, vile, ruined a classic novel. Introducing PC content into a 1843 novel IMO is lame.

Oh, the public?

Otherwise, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Wrong cars in movies

I went to see Star Wars on Tuesday. There are no cars in that movie.

However, sad part is that there has to have been at least 7-8 trailers shown before the movie started. Even sadder part is that by far best trailer was for Bad Boys Something. The SADDEST part of the experience was opening 2 seconds of the trailer. There, in plain view, is 992 911 Carrera S. As a replacement for the original 930 Turbo. OK, it has two turbochargers, but nothing else, really. Oh how mighty have fallen. What, Singer refused to lend you a proper Porsche 911 for the movie?

Why? I don't get it ... Some uber rich dude that drooled over Porsches since teenager would go around in a 992 CS when 50 years old? And that after he had 930 Turbo when in his 20s? Really?! Sell it to someone else, I am not buying.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,448
WOTD - 'Tis the Season

When you were a little kid, this time of year, and if you celebrated Christmas with presents, did you ever feel like you got the short end of the stick? You know, the next day all the kids would go "What did you get for Christmas?"

You: "New socks, some pants, a football, and monopoly"
Them: "Well I got two pairs of pants, some new shoes, a football, a baseball, a coat, and Parcheesi" ?

Maybe you felt bad for yourself, maybe you didn't care, but there is always someone who has more, and some who have less. You would think that as you got older, the old "And what did you get for Christmas" line would get old and people would outgrow childish questions. But, even older, I would hear the same question.

"Hmm, lets see I got new socks, some pants, a football, and a new monopoly game"
"Oh, well I got two pairs of pants, a new car, a vacation to the islands, and a new goose down coat"

:rolleyes:

But as the years go by, this "What did you get for Christmas" question morphs into the far more serious "bragging letter". Since people might not physically be around to ask such questions, why not just tell everyone what you did and how great you are in a letter? ? Sounds like a plan.

You don't know what I'm talking about? If you ever got a Christmas Card, you probably got a letter that fell out that was a summary of the sender's year. You know, "we went on vacation, bought a new car, remodeled the house, and our eldest is a genius". With the push to "social media", email, and the like, you would think these letters would disappear. After all, if all you have to do is look at Instagram, then you instantly know what Cousin Bob and his wife, Mary, had for breakfast yesterday (and last week, and last month, etc.) while driving in their new car after picking up a new kitchen for remodeling since their genius child is leaving for an Ivy School this year.

If this is you, well don't read this. Its not meant to offend anyone. But sometimes people should think about those that receive them. If you don't know what I'm talking about, a few articles to read

This cracks me up, Miss Manners https://www.vnews.com/Archives/2015/12/e6-MissManners-ls-vn-120615

"selfie press releases" ?

This guy was before his time, 2007, the youtube bragging letter. I'm surprised this hasn't become a thing. Why actually type a letter telling the world about that new BMW you bought when you can do a video actually showing the car?

Look! My new car!!!! ?
And we traveled, took a cruise, ?,
and went skiing!!! ⛷.

A video is so much better than a crummy letter.

Christmas Bragging letters? I think their time has come and gone. We live in a world of constant selfie press releases. All you got to do is read the sender's FB, youtube, Instagram and you will know everything about their lives. Except for ONE thing. FEAR. Fear that the reader has not looked at your pictures. Fear that your reader has not followed you on FB. Fear that you didn't get those "likes". But an actual physical letter?

? Captive Audience. You know the receiver will open it. Look! A Christmas Card! Then the letter falls out. And who can resist reading all about how wonderful a life you had last year ?

Just remember this. There will always be someone who has more than you, and always someone who has less than you. Remember this with those selfie press releases. And the reaction you might get might not be what you expect.

Meanwhile, I need to find some new socks, some pants, don't need a football though, and maybe a board game would be nice. Video games are so yesterday but actually playing a game with another human being? Golden.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,449
End of the year

Fascist? I sometimes wonder if those that write such articles have ever lived under Facism. Did they live under Mussolini, Franco and others? Do they teach history anymore? I guess not. Here's a pro tip:

Money counts. Rankings for the year

Its got nothing to do with any ideology. It's were the ? is. It generates profit. Hallmark is ranked 6th, up +5% for the year. Money. People WANT to see whats on Hallmark channel. Meanwhile, CNN is down 2% ranked 14. Who is making the money? Who is on the top?

This isn't the whine, the following is the whine of the year and its about education. I really wish they teached history or basic understanding of how things work. Watch. Don't cringe. Don't look away. Just watch. Darwin will have his way. Read the comments. If you want to see the original, There are 50,000 comments.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Thats his "beater" car :)
can't see them using a GT3 or anything like that - maybe an older 993 Turbo would have been nice....but they would have needed like 5 for filming....

.....was for Bad Boys Something. The SADDEST part of the experience was opening 2 seconds of the trailer. There, in plain view, is 992 911 Carrera S. As a replacement for the original 930 Turbo. OK, it has two turbochargers, but nothing else, really. Oh how mighty have fallen. What, Singer refused to lend you a proper Porsche 911 for the movie?

Why? I don't get it ... Some uber rich dude that drooled over Porsches since teenager would go around in a 992 CS when 50 years old? And that after he had 930 Turbo when in his 20s? Really?! Sell it to someone else, I am not buying.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Happy New Year P9'ers....

Poor spelling seems to be the norm these days. Not sure why this is increasing... is it because we are getting lazy, expecting autocorrect all the time?

Simple words are also often misspelt. Improper use of words e.g. Stationary and Stationery are often mixed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
... the following is the whine of the year and its about education. I really wish they teached history or basic understanding of how things work.

as do I. when writing in English, for instance, the proper word for the particular application highlighted above would have been - should have been - 'TAUGHT' not 'TEACHED'

verb (used with object), taught, teach·ing.
to impart knowledge of or skill in; give instruction in: She teaches mathematics.
to impart knowledge or skill to; give instruction to: He teaches a large class.
verb (used without object), taught, teach·ing.
to impart knowledge or skill; give instruction.
noun
Informal. teacher.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Misspelt? Not a word.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
WOTD: I am really tired of "XYZ is planning on closing n stores" news

Today, it was Macy's turn. Tomorrow, it will be someone else's.

I don't know if the following story is true or not. It doesn't matter, it is an excellent story. I heard it multiple times with slight variations. Story goes that, somewhere where people and specific type of monkey (cannot remember which) live in close proximity, people hunt those monkeys with a big clause in there where monkeys need to be caught alive. Humans figured out a way to do just that with absolutely minimum effort and ka-ching from it. Just like we do here. So, how do you catch alive a monkey that has no intention whatsoever to be caught by a human?

As the story goes, some other species conveniently burrows the local trees for their purpose, but then leave. So, with very little work or tools, humans extend the entry hole just so and fill it with rice or peanuts (heard both versions). Allegedly, the local monkeys are so darn gluttonous for that treat that they reach in, grab a fistful and then get trapped because the hole is not big enough for them to extract the fist, only to insert empty hand. Now, the story goes that they will not release rice/peanuts even when human gets close and captures them. The detail about how they release their fist then is not clear.

So, what is the purpose of this stupid story? Well, since monkeys are stupid, lower than apes (that includes us, by the way) on evolutionary tree AND never went to Harvard or Wharton ... they are ready to die tomorrow in order to not lose something they really, REALLY like today.

That said ...

As far as I'm concerned, the main reason I will go to order online is because I cannot buy it in local store. But very, VERY close second goes to when I know that I will be aggravated past what it is worth when doing so (going to the physical store). There is nothing Macy, Kroger et al can reasonably do about the first reason, but there is a LOT they can do about the second one.

1. Organize parking lots better and place covered walkways strategically. Even when half empty, I will park away to avoid aggravation dealing with people who have no clue how to park in a civilized manner. I do not go shopping with Cayman, just to be clear. I always have umbrella in my trunk, just to be clear. But it would be nice from them to do that (covered walkways - EU is full of them).

2. For grocery stores especially, get me in and out in minimum time possible. And that's where the monkey story comes into play.

2a. I know that it is a common knowledge and practice that you want to layout your store so that customers must walk the whole store in order to buy water, milk, bread and fruits and vegetables. You are wasting my time. We all know what you are doing and why. It is NOT 1950 anymore, you are not a monkey. Your execs have Wharton or Harvard diplomas. You might like it, but if you don't open your fist and get rid of it today, you WILL die tomorrow.

2b. I know it is a common knowledge and practice to move the stuff around the store to make people explore more and move the stuff you want to sell most to the eye level - the latter one could be even a weekly occurrence. It is not CIA Top Secret anymore, even the sparrows inhabiting your store know that. You are wasting my time. People have phones containing your local library worth of data with them and shopping list they can dictate to the phone is very often one of them. They have apps to scan the product and drop it because it is cheaper 2 miles away at your competitor. It is NOT 1950 anymore, you are not a monkey. Your execs have Wharton or Harvard diplomas. You might like it, but if you don't get rid of it today, you WILL die tomorrow.

2c. Since most of the people carry the phones with them, use them to your advantage to make them happy. Every damn airport or mall have directories you can consult on your phone to show you where the stuff you need is and to make a plan to move efficiently while doing what you need to do. Get me a goddamn store layout map on the phone and when I type "organic honey" or "toothpicks", send me the to aisle X, section A, shelf 1. You are wasting my time. It is NOT 1950 anymore, you are not a monkey. Your execs have Wharton or Harvard diplomas. You might like it, but if you don't get rid of it today, you WILL die tomorrow.

3. Make me leave quick, please. With all tech available today, the best you can do it self checkout? The one manned by one clerk for 16 registers? That I need to wait for 2-3 minutes every time I bought beer and every third-fourth time because of some malfunction? Please use that tech to make your customer happier for once. Please. Find a way.

Why am I so peeved about this? Well, I am the one who thinks that very, very few things are commodities and the only difference between A and A is the price. Two apples are never the same. Two packages of bacon by the same brand are never the same. Even further, two packages of identical-tasting yogurt are NOT the same - I want to see expiration date which will then determine quantity of it I will buy in that trip. I do NOT WANT to do any of that online. Which obviously includes your genius idea to order online and wait in the car while the guy or gal loads my car with bought stuff. That's the best you can do? Not working, sorry. If I have to order blindly online, I can also save a trip to your congested parking lot and have it delivered to my front door. Smarten up.

Frankly, even two pairs of very similar t-shirts are NOT the same. If, for example, one of them is made in US and other isn't, I will buy the one made in US. Not a commodity.

So, for huge majority of my purchases I would like to have brick-and-mortar store as option to further inspect what I am buying and have possibility to touch it or even smell it (fruit). Please smarten up above the f#%$cking monkey-azz brain and wake up. It ain't 1950 out there anymore. Make the experience as painless and as enjoyable as possible and, when that happens ... yes, charge even more - I am perfectly fine with that.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
528 Posts
Reasons I go to Walmart...

1. Walmart App contains a store layout and you can query it for an item and it will tell you exactly where it is.
2. Rarely have to wait in line. Plenty of self-checkouts. They are responsive to lines and have been expanding self-checkouts in the stores where I shop.
3. Walmart Pay - I don't even need to pull out my wallet, just scan the QR code on the register.
4. I prefer the Walmart Neighborhood Market because is small but has 95% of what I need and the parking lot is small and I can park my Porsche in a "remote area" but still be only a 50 feet from the front door.
5. The Porsche gets plenty of looks.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,456
Allegedly, the local monkeys are so darn gluttonous for that treat that they reach in, grab a fistful and then get trapped because the hole is not big enough for them to extract the fist, only to insert empty hand.
True :) From 1912

2. For grocery stores especially, get me in and out in minimum time possible. And that's where the monkey story comes into play.
Agree, I tried home delivery of groceries years ago. Its terrible. They send you stuff already expired or bruised fruit. Some things you need to do in person.

They also put the stuff they want you to buy at eye level, and the best buys on the floor shelf or top shelf making it difficult to get at them.

And, some of the stores I go to block your cell phone signal, which I presume is true so you can't look up the prices on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
love the monkey video chows!

grocery delivery depends on the method. over here, any bruised/damage or wrong goods - you're allowed to remove it from the order for a refund. I find it works best with heavy items like liquids (drinks, detergents) frozen goods/ice cream (they usually use refrigerated trucks), household items, canned goods.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,458
WOTD - THIS is why you can't sell "global warming"

It looks like the signs in Glacier NP telling the public the "glaciers" in Glacier would be gone by 2020 have been removed. :rolleyes: Just like The Snows on Kilimanjaro disappearing didn't happen.

Didn't whoever make such signs ever read about "The boy who cried wolf"?. Oh right, maybe Aesop never made it into "common core"? Do they not understand these kinds of things destroy their arguments. How is ever going to believe them again?

Worse, CNN

What is the picture there? A picture of a glacier in iceland? Why? This is just sad.

·
Registered
323 Posts
chows - wording of the signage you referenced above was apparently based on the best scientific knowledge and resulting forecasts available at the time of their creation.

being such a stickler for 'education', I feel certain you must realize this. and I am also assuming you know the definition of the word 'forecast'. a 'forecast' is a 'prediction.' it is not something that has 'already occurred,' it is something which is 'expected to occur.'

now, here are some salient material facts, clearly confirming that the glaciers in glacier national park are melting: "In 1966, the park had 35 named glaciers large enough to be considered active. By 2015, only 26 named glaciers remained. The average area reduction is currently 39 percent, though some lost as much as 85 percent. This trend of glacier retreat is expected to continue as temperatures rise." dated: Jul 3, 2019.

https://www.nps.gov › glac › learn › nature › melting-glaciers

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,460
chows - wording of the signage you referenced above was apparently based on the best scientific knowledge and resulting forecasts available at the time of their creation.
Exactly. The boy crying wolf, and now you're rationalizing bad "forecasts". And here is the problem.

I assume you want public money to fight "global warming". Yes? No? Don't care. This is not how you get it. This is the worst possible sales pitch ever. Prediction or Forecast, time after time wrong, highly visible predictions.

Why would the NPS ever put that sign up? You think its for education? "When" was it put up? Who goes to Glacier? Have you been there? I hope so, its fantastic. If you only had one NP to visit, this is the one. Every American should go there once in their life. Who goes there? Hard core hikers for sure. Stay at Sperry or Granite Park Chalet, etc. Here's the approach to Granite Park. This is from horseback.

This is where they used to feed the Grizzlies and it ended up in Tragedy

But the vast majority? They are families. Families hauling their kids in Winnebagos and SUVs and seeing the US NPs. Do you think they know anything, generally, about any of it. You haven't lived until you've seen the ugly American Tourist. Its not a cliche. So one story. This is Grinnell Lake. That bit of snow you see on the top of the waterfall is part of a glacier.

You can read about Grinnell Lake here and see the exact same picture from the article someone else took

We went around the two lakes. Its long but not uphill, ust annoying gnats. At the end of the dock families unloaded from the boats. Then read that description and its across a small suspension bridge then some plans to the lake. Its about 1:00. Hot, sweating. We sit down to eat. What do you think happened?

Kids are screaming at parents. Parents actually came up to us and asked where the vending machines were because their kids were hungry, hot, and thirsty. You see any electric lines out here? :rolleyes: Irritated families hauled their kids back. But it gets much worse. Kids and Adults would run up to Mountain Goats with "kids". You think that ended well? And I've seen them do it to Bison on the road in YW. But the best, the very best was at Old Faithful, when a well dressed lady actually asked the park ranger to turn on the geyser cause she was in a hurry. Anecdotal as these stories are, they happen all the time. I could not believe the stories the rangers told us. I'm sure they see much worse. I could tell you about the last pictures a ranger found on a "photographer's camera before ... you figure it out.

So the point is, the public reads the sign saying no glacier by 2020. A decade later .... oops. We were wrong.

Why would anyone ever believe them again? Ever? They are on vacation. They can't figure out not to put their kid on to off a resting Bison (oh yeah, that happens). And you think they are going to read anything beyond "2020"?

Oh, heres a good one. 1929. Glaciers in Glacier are melting and will be gone in 25 years.

Yeah, really really bad salesmen. You want money to "combat" climate change. Lose your salesmen and do decent PR. Today, people's eyes glaze over when they hear all the whining and then ratioanization. No one cares one bit that its a prediction, forecast, computer model, or crystal ball. Its WRONG. Fool me once, shame one. Fool me twice .... shame on me. No money for you.

3441 - 3460 of 3579 Posts