Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

3521 - 3540 of 3580 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
MSM Alarmists

chows - I watched the video. evidently, your 'alarmist' is my 'teller-of-truths.'

what I personally find truly alarming is that anyone, anywhere would willfully deny irrefutable realities and truths which will, in the end, prove to be simply inescapable. IMO

Reactions: Jerry V

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,522
MSM is the least culprit in all of this. I just hope that, once all the dust settles, once all the dead and all the lost dollars are counted and cooler heads prevail ... I just hope that the conclusion will be that the 85% of the economic damage and deaths was caused by Internet and the equation "every moron with an iPhone = journalist" and then cut the cord (Internet) worldwide for 12-24 months.

We need the detox that badly.

IMO, of course.
The MSM hysteria, their severe TDS, means everything they do (most of them) is targeted at the president, make him look bad. I'm not pleased with some of the actions or some proposals but with 90% negative for three years, the problem because one cannot trust what the media prints. They are no longer reliable resources.

The internet is good and bad. Its good for instant worldwide communications and for the massing of massive amount of information available to anyone with access almost instantly. That same strength is its weakness. Anyone can publish anything.

This instant communication allows scams to be generated, chain letters, and hoaxes like the one above where the NSC had to say no, not true. Its the media saying google was not building a website for shots, spread by the media. Turns out to be false. Fake news. The TDS runs deep.

Which is true and which is false? This is the very reason Wikipedia is not an authoritative source. Since previously highly regarded media outlets no longer provide sourcing, no longer tell the reading public where they get the information, and intentionally appear to bury the lede knowing that few people read the entire article, they have become worthless. "Just Trust Us" We are the (fill in the blank) no longer has validity. No sourcing? No trust.

Everything that goes around comes around. All things runs in cycles. This massive media TDS, one day, will be turned around on the next party's president, 10 times more. That's how people are.

Notice there are a lot of paywalls now? who pays to read news without sourcing?

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,523
chows - I watched the video. evidently, your 'alarmist' is my 'teller-of-truths.'

what I personally find truly alarming is that anyone, anywhere would willfully deny irrefutable realities and truths which will, in the end, prove to be simply inescapable. IMO
I didn't mean he was an alarmist. He's talking about the "scientists" seeking their 15 minutes of fame. They go on cable stations and get instant fame. They talk a bit and get research money. I'm surprise you didn't catch the connection. Its no different than global warming. You do realize if there is no crisis, the R&D money goes away. He's talking exactly about that, but in terms of this health crisis. Just like global warming. No crisis, kiss the money good bye. Thats his point. Your Italy example, and hype from NYT and others, was over the top. Italy is not the USA. AFAIK
  1. The culture is vastly different. Multiple generations live together. The young, carriers, can pass it on to the old
  2. There are no factories packed with Chinese immigrants working leather with a direct link to China in the US
  3. The industrial capacity, might, and transportation system in the US dwarfs Italy.
  4. The ability for the US to produce ventilators, and have reserve capacity greatly outdistance Italy, and the biggest thing of all?
  5. Except of Medicare, the US is a capitalist society, No single payer health. There is no incentive in Italy to develop a vaccine, no incentive to do better.

"US acute care hospitals own approximately 62,000 full-featured mechanical ventilators.1 Calculations suggest that about 28,883 of these ventilators (46.4%) can be used to ventilate pediatric and neonatal patients. e study also reported an additional 98,000 ventilators that are not full-featured but can still provide basic function in an emergency during crisis standards of care."

the CDC Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) stores and maintains mechanical ventilators that can be deployed on request ... CDC SNS has an estimated 8,900 ventilators as of 2010."

The Virus could overwhelm them. So in Italy the word is they are doing battle field triage, let the elderly die, not only those with this virus but from any cause. I don't know how much of that is fake news. But unlike Italy, which I assume cannot make them quickly, the US can

"We hope we don't need them but we've ordered a large number." ... Firms that make the machines said they are ramping up for coming needs. An official from General Electric told ABC News the company is “taking steps to maximize our manufacturing capability and output while ensuring our plants can continue safe operations.”

Panic the people.

What's this? The UK has asked automakers to build ventilators? What?

What happened in WWII when Detroit stopped making cars and made tanks and planes? The US is not Italy in any way.

Whats this? More car companies willing to build ventilators.

None of this changes the data that indicates is very serious for the elderly. Take care of them. Watch over them. And take care of yourself.

·
Registered
323 Posts
not that I wish to be considered an 'alarmist' but...

Nationwide: one million hospital beds; three hundred and thirty million people. Anybody confronting a pandemic see a potential problem with this?

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,525
not that I wish to be considered an 'alarmist' but...

Nationwide: one million hospital beds; three hundred and thirty million people. Anybody confronting a pandemic see a potential problem with this?
I assume you understand the definition of epidemic vs pandemic? Look it up. Maybe you think it means something it isn't? The fact that there are 1,000,000 beds in the US has nothing to do with the word "pandemic".

Your "frightening figures" from the National Enquirer type media from the UK, Scare stuff. Click bait.

CLICK ON ME!!!

You're a smart guy. You know most of the media has severe TDS and will do anything to attack the President. They will use the stock market drop as an attack vector. So its meaningless if you don't dig deeper. The press BURIES THE LEDE. From today.

This is the same person who can't do simple division with Brian Williams concerning Bloomberg's money. Thinks spending $370M on the Democratic Primaries means Bloomberg could have given everyone in America $1M. Pretty funny stuff. :rolleyes: This is not what the president said. She left out the end.

We will be backing you, but try getting it yourselves. Point of sales, much better, much more direct if you can get it yourself.”

In fact he said 20 minutes ago he told the Governers to use their own supply chain, don't wait for the feds, and he'll cover them later. Like I believe, the press are no longer relevant. So the hysteria means nothing. Now to your 1M beds. You all think maybe the headlines are just a tad misleading? On purpose?

Did you read the Unseen thread, or just ignore it? Here's the TL;DR. You have to read the entire thread

Based on the R0, the infection rate, and death rate, there is potential for such scary statistics. Buts that not real life today. That only occurs if humans don't take action. Maybe in 1918 the humans didn't know what to do. So you had the difference between the Philadelphia and St Louis approaches to Flattening the Curve.

Today, we close the border to China immediately. Then Europe. States are doing "social distancing". Today the CDC said no more than 10 people in one place at a time. Everything is being shut down. States are closing restaurants only open for take out. No bars etc.

More could be done. The entire southern and northern borders could be closed. NJ is stopping travel except for medical people between 8PM and 5AM,

Something is being done.

so if you want to believe we are all going to die, then believe it. I feel bad for you.

Take care of yourself Phil, and take care of the elderly.

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,526
You see alarmists feed on human fear. Alarmists seem to like to put fear in others. In my living memory, I've seen this so many times I find it disgusting. Some fear is rational and real. First, the diseases:

1. Polio was real, around for decades. FDR had it and hid it. Iron lungs were common, an epidemic, it put fear into childen.
  2. Childhood diseases were common: measles, german measles, mumps, chicken pox. There were not fearsome at the time. Today, some parents fear vaccines.
  3. Smallpox was always about wiped out in my memory but fear of smallpox is very real.
  4. Then there was swine flu, H1N1, MERs, SARs, West Nile Fever, Zika, Ebola, and now this Chinese Virus. Spanish Flu is discussed constantly because it killed the young and only the end of WWI ended it. ,
Then there are the alarmists about resources. Oil was always the big one, Since its discovery in PA, the world has always been "running out of oil". No, didn't and won't happen in our puny human lifetimes.

There there are bad omen, types, end of the world. The comet comes by, we are all going to die. Sure. And who can forget the Mayan Calendar. What year was that 2012? So sorry, we made it to 2013.

And the computer alarmists, Y2K. Buy bottled water, the end is near.

And the weather or natural disaster alarmists.
  1. A new ice age is coming. Buffalo and NE are buried in the blizzards of the century!
  2. The ozone hole in the antarctic is going to kill us all
  3. The fires of '88 in Yellowstone only happen every 400 years. This is really bad. The entire west is going to burn down - now today. Santa Ana winds are coming, CA is going to burn down
  4. The Madrid and San Andreas Fault! The big one is coming. Earthquakes on the East coast? Are you kidding, Yes, Ive felt them. What? Is Madrid going to happen again?
  5. Yellowstone is going to blow. It's due. We all die if Yellowstone goes.
  6. The Mississippi flooding in the worst in 100 years, in 1988.
  7. The greatest hurricanes of all time were in the 30s. The greatest Dustball. Nothing will survive.
Then the man made disaster alarmist
  1. WWIII. Its going to happen. Dig the fallout shelter. DO it NOW! The Russians are coming.
  2. Oh no, its the NOKO now. They are going to bomb Guam and cause WWIII!
  3. The Brazilians are burning the Amazon. We need the Amazon
  4. Mankind is playing with fire. They are building AI. That movie, fiction, will happen and the Terminator will come. The singularity is coming.
  5. Don't talk to the stars! Any civilization that can travel here will dominate the Earth. Be afraid, very afraid (A famous physicist)
It goes on and on and on. The global warming bit is just the latest. Too bad thats no longer a worry.

You see, this is the problem with alarmists. When nothing of serious consequence happens, they don't get to feed off the fear. And those that fear, lose fear the next time. As FDR said, The only thing we need to fear is fear itself.

In many ways, I see a new generation of people afraid of everything. Afraid to lead their lives. Afraid of vaccines. Afraid to eat GMO food. Afraid to live. Afraid of the weather. Afraid to let their kids play on their own. Afraid of mass killings. Afraid of their shadows, buried in front of video screens playing "games" and watching comic book movies and talking about them as if the fiction is real. They don't put things into perspective. They should be afraid of smoking, of drinking, of vaping, of behaviors that put themselves at risk. Instead they let the media put fear into them.

So be afraid. But don't be disappointed when the West doesn't burn down, there aren't 10 Cat 5 hurricanes, the sea level does not rise signficantly, the Polar Bears continue to thrive, Yellowstone doesn't blow, etc.

If you want to be afraid, be afraid of something that can end all life immediately and a good chance of it happening, like a huge asteroid coming hidden from view. That will leave a mark. Or something far more viable, a terrorist getting their hand of small nuke, setting it off, humans making mistakes, escalation, and a real thermonuclear exchange. That will kill us all off, one way or the other. And that is a real possibility. But if won't be a virus. Virus need hosts. If they kill all the hosts, they die too. And so we live with colds and the flu. You CAN get a flu shot and soon we will get a Chinese Virus shot, that is, if your not afraid of vaccines. Antivaxxers. Yet people refuse to get flu shots and get sick. That's sick. Who does that? Why isn't mankind all gone from cold viruses? Like the Martians all died from the "common" cold. Equilibrium happens. No hosts, no life.

Don't blink when the Gamma Ray Burst comes. You'll miss it.

This doesn't mean don't take this seriously nor don't take care of yourself of elderly. It only means, fears come all the time, Manage them. Put them in perspective. And be sure you truly trust the sources you read and they show your their actual sources, not some anonymous person who was in a meeting who knew someone familiar with the situation :rolleyes: Or as I was taught a long time ago.

Don't believe everything you read in the paper.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
They should be afraid of smoking, of drinking, of vaping, of behaviors that put themselves at risk.
What risk? See, you can't have it both ways. You can't dictate that people be scared only of the things YOU deem to be scare-worthy.

When you witness a grand-grandfather of your best friend climb stairs to 11th floor after his 90th birthday (because he didn't trust elevators) while drinking a quart of wine every day and smoking a pack of smokes since he was 15 ... that also puts things in perspective. He ultimately died of old age at 94.

Couch and video games will possibly prematurely kill WAY more currently young people than smoking or drinking would if they worked 6-8 hours a day in the fields for the rest of their lives. Want to ban couch and video games?

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,528
What risk? See, you can't have it both ways. You can't dictate that people be scared only of the things YOU deem to be scare-worthy.

When you witness a grand-grandfather of your best friend climb stairs to 11th floor after his 90th birthday (because he didn't trust elevators) while drinking a quart of wine every day and smoking a pack of smokes since he was 15 ... that also puts things in perspective. He ultimately died of old age at 94.

Couch and video games will possibly prematurely kill WAY more currently young people than smoking or drinking would if they worked 6-8 hours a day in the fields for the rest of their lives. Want to ban couch and video games?
Smoking, Drinking, and playing video games are life choices. Those that do it do so by choice. They don't have to do it, they choose to do it despite actual data that demonstrates will die from it. The old smoker is a statistical anomaly. Anecdotal data is meaningless data.

Meanwhile the fear mongers thrive on the fear of others or sick political game. An example that just came up from a "journalists" or progogandist?

See what he is doing. Do as I tell you, "sensible people" do what I tell you to do, and yet this writer did the same thing. Is this not hypocrisy?

Journalism is dead. They are no longer relevant.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Do you practice social distancing? I don't. I practice "Stay the fu$%#k away from me or else" distancing.

Simple, elegant, impossible to misunderstand. Just like physics or math equation. What the fu$%k does "social distancing" mean? My estranged wife is ghosting me? My friend screwed me on a car sale and I don't talk to him anymore? Something else?

If we are all going to die, don't you think it is past time we fix semantics and start talking in sentences that are impossible to misinterpret or misunderstand?

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,530
Referring back to Phil's Italy comparison, that comparison is about as poor as it gets. The US is NOTHING like Italy. Besides the items I've mentioned already, I forgot about these, brought up today at the daily Chinese Virus briefing.

1. Army hospitals (think MASH), VA beds, and Hospital ships. Does Italy have anyone near the capacity as the US military? Any current Hospital Ships?

2. Study this.

Learn it well. Been there, done that. The US does not have to plead with Automakers to build respirators. Discussed at todays briefing.

3. And last, "models", just like those global warming models. ;) Dr Brix actually laughed at the models. Said she loved the modelers, good people, but essentially its GIGO. You got to include the mitigation efforts.

Such doom and gloom. Scaring people.

Do you practice social distancing? I don't. I practice "Stay the fu$%#k away from me or else" distancing.

Simple, elegant, impossible to misunderstand. Just like physics or math equation. What the fu$%k does "social distancing" mean? My estranged wife is ghosting me? My friend screwed me on a car sale and I don't talk to him anymore? Something else?

If we are all going to die, don't you think it is past time we fix semantics and start talking in sentences that are impossible to misinterpret or misunderstand?
Glad you brought that up. This is where I think Phil is right. Its easy to find millennials defying the guidelines. Pictures are all over the internet. I saw some today, laughing and giggling close together, then probably touching common surfaces. Many don't care. Its a big joke. This too was mentioned at todays briefing. They need to stop now. Take it seriously. Go home. Just because work is off does not mean go drinking.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:rolleyes: Or as I was taught a long time ago. Don't believe everything you read in the paper.
well, apparently, you know more than the vast majority of scientists and experts, and you evidently understand most everything better than the collective news media. for the life of me chows, I don't know how you do it! certainly, you do not - can not - possess the collective knowledge they possess; you did not share in all of the education they received; and more-likely-than-not, you lack most of their collective technical experience-on-the-job. to me, your views seem downright delusional under these circumstances. good luck to you and yours. it's been fun knowing ya...

Reactions: Jerry V

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,532
well, apparently, you know more than the vast majority of scientists and experts, and you evidently understand most everything better than the collective news media. for the life of me chows, I don't know how you do it! certainly, you do not - can not - possess the collective knowledge they possess; you did not share in all of the education they received; and more-likely-than-not, you lack most of their collective technical experience-on-the-job. to me, your views seem downright delusional under these circumstances. good luck to you and yours. it's been fun knowing ya...
You're not getting it. I'm not saying to not listening to the doctors. Dr. Brix is awesome. She's the one who was mocking modeling. Don't believe me? Watch today's briefing.

I'm saying I don't believe anything the TDS affected journalists write. They bury the lede. And they, literally, make up stuff. Examples above. Journalists are not expert at anything. They add their opinions and do nothing but attack the President. I think they can't help themselves. Its been going on to long. Its just who they are.

So I can't believe them. And that is too bad because some of those outlets used to be trustful. Today, nope. They have agendas.

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,538

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,539
And there it is. Comparing the US with Italy in the ability to produce goods :rolleyes: War time. Start cranking the goods out. I hear Detroit has some idle factories.
? Wow, who would have thought the US would actually convert factories building cars to factories building ventilators and respirators? Anyone who didn't sleep through High School US History class. And Tesla joined Ford and GM too.

Fearmongers, they prey on the naive and those who don't learn from history. They feed on your fear. Despicable. And then there are WH reporters who would rather virtue signal rather than actually report real news. Disgusting.

Much of the press is no longer relevant, especially those with level 10 TDS.

Be safe and follow the guidelines. ? Please don't get sick ?Please

·
Registered
204 Posts
Chows: Much of the press is no longer relevant, especially those with level 10 TDS.

Is this the TDS you are referring to?

**note this poll is not satire or a parody of Mr. Dobbs, it is real and was also on his verified Twitter. It may be self parody, but we can’t be sure of that, only Mr. Dobbs would know for sure.

3521 - 3540 of 3580 Posts