Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

3541 - 3560 of 3580 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,541
Chows: Much of the press is no longer relevant, especially those with level 10 TDS.

Is this the TDS you are referring to?

**note this poll is not satire or a parody of Mr. Dobbs, it is real and was also on his verified Twitter. It may be self parody, but we can’t be sure of that, only Mr. Dobbs would know for sure.

He is not “news” but at night, entertainment, same as Hannity, Cuomo, Maddow, etc. I ignore all the entertainers, both sides. Hype and drama. Now do the virtue signaling WH reporters, which is supposed to be actual news vice worrying about what some anonymous officials joked about the name of a disease. As if thats important while, lets see, 10003 dead worldwide this minute.

·
Registered
78 Posts
@chows4us ER Murse (male nurse :)) here. Couldn't agree more with the video you linked to the ER Nurse. Every year at about the same time, the ER's get crushed by people coming in to get antibiotics for their seasonal flu.

Little do they know, they are delaying care for critical patients, aren't going to get antibiotics, are spreading their disease to others (including those who don't have the ability to fight off the infection), and are going to be told to: Stay away from people, rest, drink plenty of fluids, take Tyl/ibuprofen for fever/aches, and eat small amounts of food as tolerated.

A fair number of those people become irate, which just further disrupts the flow of an already chaotic ER, and places additional stressors on all of the staff.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Ladies, Gentlemen, Comrades and Fellow Humans ...

Tough times are upon us. Challenges this generation of living humans will have to go through are immense. To get us through these extraordinary times, we all need to sacrifice and sacrifice a lot.

What we must do to assure continuance of the humankind is

• lay on the couch
  • binge on Netlfix and any other streaming channel you like
  • do nothing
Please. Let's not fu#$%ck this one up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Referring back to Phil's Italy comparison ... The US is NOTHING like Italy...

the most salient fact of the matter is that the united states is much worse off than italy.

as i record this, italy has 59,138 confirmed cases and that rate is still increasing. china tops the list with 81,454 confirmed cases but appears to have ‘flattened it’s curve.’ the united states currently stands at 35,224 confirmed cases - but it is essential that one must realize our country is still several weeks behind Italy’s outbreak; and also that our population is between five and six times greater than Italy’s [approx 330 million vs 61 million]. and unfortunately, many in our country are still not taking this pandemic seriously in terms of social distancing.

experts believe the actual number of cases, in every instance, will be much greater than the number of confirmed cases, by as much as a factor of ten.

i strongly urge everyone interested in this topic to monitor the numbers as they increase - especially over the next few weeks - which one can easily do at either/both of these excellent links [no politics - just data]

the COVID-19 pandemic and the severe economic repercussions now confronting all of us will absolutely result in a great deal of collective suffering and shared costs: physical, mental, spiritual, emotional, and most certainly, economical. [and everyone will be buying, chows, just as we will with overwhelming climate change disruptions moving forward. no ‘salesmen' required]

be smart. be safe. stay healthy. good luck, one and all.

phil

Reactions: Jerry V

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,545 (Edited)
i strongly urge everyone interested in this topic to monitor the numbers as they increase - especially over the next few weeks - which one can easily do at either/both of these excellent links [no politics - just data]

many in our country are still not taking this pandemic seriously in terms of social distancing.

be smart. be safe. stay healthy. good luck, one and all.

phil
I agree with these points but not the rest

china ... appears to have ‘flattened it’s curve.’
You believe what the Communist Chinese are saying? The same communists who are now pushing the propaganda that the virus came from the US. C'mon Phil, you should know better. The same country who could have just closed the country down but chose not to? The same country that had their whistler blower doctors disappear? If so, I know of a bridge in NYC for sale.

the most salient fact of the matter is that the united states is much worse off than italy

experts believe the actual number of cases, in every instance, will be much greater than the number of confirmed cases, by as much as a factor of ten.
Look at those charts. The US ratio is 94/M, Italy is a Magnitude higher. There is no comparison. Of course numbers are rising in the US since there are more tests. You find that surprising? But there is no comparison between the countries. Here are some facts to digest. Its just they way it is. The two countries are vastly different. I'll get beyond the industrial capacity, the DPR, the companies volunteering to build ventilators like Ford, etc., companies volunteering to make hand sanitizer etc. There is just no comparison between the two. So beyond the obvious direct comparison about industrial capacity. You like "science". Here's some science. Its well known that the average Italian age is 10 years older than the US.

International Journal of Infectious Diseases
"Investigation the impact of influenza on excesss mortality in all ages in Italy during recent seasons ..."
8/18/19 by Rosano, Bella, et. al.

"Over 68,000 deaths were attributable to influenza epidemics in the study period. The observed excess of deaths is not completely unexpected, given the high number of fragile very old subjects living in Italy."

Coincidence?

3/17/20
"Coronoavirus Diesease 2019 (COVID-19) in Italy"
Livingston, Bücher

88% of deaths people over 70.

Really bad comparison to compare Italy with the US. And since its a respiratory disease, how's the comparison in smoking?

US 17.25% Italy 24%

And why was its Northern Italy? Could it be the Wenzhou Express? April, 2018, long before this happened:

By the mid-nineties, Wenzhouans were setting up textile businesses ... A non-stop flight was established between Wenzhou and Rome.

What's Wenzhou? This

city of Wenzhou, is under a full lockdown

Continuing:

"Some migrants... paid smugglers huge fees, which they then had to work off, a form of indentured servitude that was enforced by the threat of violence"

Illegally entering the country.

"in the past decade they have become manufacturers for Gucci, Prada, and other luxury-fashion houses,"

You think this might have had something to do with this? Do you think it was good idea for politicians and their PC to encourage people to hug Chinese at the beginning of this? The Florence mayor encouraging people to hug people who came from the center of the virus? How smart was that? :rolleyes:

Or how about this from CNN, not exactly known for being unbiased

" the Italian government lagged at first. It was "lazy in the beginning... too much politics in Italy."
"There was a proposal to isolate people coming from the epicenter, coming from China," he said. "Then it became seen as racist, but they were people coming from the outbreak." That, he said, led to the current devastating situation.

Political correctness now killing them. Meanwhile at least the US halted all flights from China, and then the flight from Europe because much of the virus moved from China to Europe. Comparing the differences is massive. They are simply not the same.

just as we will with overwhelming climate change disruptions moving forward. no ‘salesmen' required]
I have not jumped on "global warming" because the virus is more important. When this is all over, just watch as all supply chains move away from China. The world will change and your not going to like how it moves. Anything coming from China involved in battery production? Well you know how fear goes. In the meantime watch how quickly the US comes back. How quickly ridiculous regulations are dumped. How fast production of PPE and medical equipment is produced. How fast potential vaccines and cures are produced. Watch as the US moves to wartime production and marvel at it. I have great faith in the ability of US companies, innovators (including Musk who is moving to build ventilators) and small business. They will come back stronger than ever.

Don't let fear drive you. Understand the underlying reasons "why" Italy is where it is and its inability to produce as the US can produce. But there will be a causality of this, the fear monger press. "If it bleeds it leads".

Be safe everyone, take care of the elderly and those in need. Remember FDR. The only thing we need to fear is fear itself.

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,548
Isn’t your source someone you would refer to as nighttime entertainment, not news? Or, if they agree with the point of view you already have (which I’m not saying is wrong, nor correct) are they therefore news?
Correct, entertainer. Not a source. The sources are all the references above. She is just more eloquent them me and doesn't say anything different than the sources above.

Now watch closely as the federal guidelines are lifted, as they stand now, at the end of the 15 days of social distancing. You know its already under discussion.

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,550
The press:

President Donald Trump is making a baseless claim of surging suicides if the U.S. economy remains mostly shut due to the spread of the coronavirus. There’s no evidence that suicides will rise dramatically, let alone surpass potential coronavirus deaths. Historically in a crisis, suicides tend to diminish as society pulls together in a common purpose.

The President is talking about the effect on people not working, their sense of self worth, their worry about their financial future. A study of the Great Recession and suicide rates

A dramatic spike in suicides between 2008 and 2010 can be linked with the economic crisis, according to a study published today in the British Journal of Psychiatry.

FACT CHECK: The press are useless to me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Now watch closely as the federal guidelines are lifted, as they stand now, at the end of the 15 days of social distancing. You know its already under discussion.

a completely moronic statement. a totally stupid idea. WILL NEVER HAPPEN IN 15 DAYS - OR ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE. CULLING THE HERD IN THIS MANNER, WHICH IS WHAT WOULD RESULT, IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION FOR REASONABLE, RATIONAL-THINKING PEOPLE and the opinions of others on this particular topic no longer matter. when lives are on the line, most will elect to stick with the facts; the science; and the truth - none of which bends to any political ideology - not even yours.

but since you seem to embrace this sort of bullish!t with so much enthusiasm, I suggest you go first, chows, and lead the way; set the desired example for the rest of us. go 'pack the pews' on Easter Sunday and let us know how well that works out for you.

Reactions: Jerry V

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,552
a completely moronic statement. a totally stupid idea. WILL NEVER HAPPEN IN 15 DAYS - OR ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE. CULLING THE HERD IN THIS MANNER, WHICH IS WHAT WOULD RESULT, IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION FOR REASONABLE, RATIONAL-THINKING PEOPLE and the opinions of others on this particular topic no longer matter. when lives are on the line, most will elect to stick with the facts; the science; and the truth - none of which bends to any political ideology - not even yours.

but since you seem to embrace this sort of bullish!t with so much enthusiasm, I suggest you go first, chows, and lead the way; set the desired example for the rest of us. go 'pack the pews' on Easter Sunday and let us know how well that works out for you.

I wrote "Now watch closely as the federal guidelines are lifted, as they stand now, at the end of the 15 days of social distancing. You know its already under discussion."

That was a guess before the President announced he would like to see things back to normal before Easter. I had no idea he'd pick Easter, just guessing what he would do. 15 days would have been March 30. I was off by 12 days. I have no idea what will happen. Anyone can guess. But my general guess was exactly what was said, the cure can't be worse than the disease. There was no way they were going to lock down the country for months. There wouldn't be a country left.

Of course all deaths are very sad, from any source. Be safe. Auto PSA

·
Registered
323 Posts
can we count on you-in-the-pew this Easter Sunday? and if not, why not?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
One thing to say ... there is only one and ONLY one place in U.S. that closely mimics Europe in general and Italy specifically - and that is New York City. What is not well understood is how even villages with 5,000 souls are tightly packed, they might as well be Manhattan. In the area hit the worst (Lombardia, Veneto), additional benefit is that International Airport is barely 1 hour away, even if you live in 3,000 souls hamlet - sounds familiar? Wait, it gets worse ...

You know, I often say jokingly that I came from the future - for a simple fact that Europe dealt long time ago with most conundrums US has currently, from the traffic all the way to universal health care. And so is the case of COVID-19. You can know your future, all you have to do is go back and read Internet pages about Europe and , for New Yorkers, Italy specifically.

Granted, US response might be different, but the biological effect is the same. It's math, people. Not existentialism philosophy. Unless "American exceptionalism" in this case means "different DNA". Then all bets are off and we have a lot bigger things to worry about than COVID-19.

·
Registered
323 Posts
One thing to say ... there is only one and ONLY one place in U.S. that closely mimics Europe in general and Italy specifically - and that is New York City.

keep your eyes on Louisiana! currently has case count rate-of-increase faster than anywhere else in the world...

·
Super Moderator
13,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,556
can we count on you-in-the-pew this Easter Sunday? and if not, why not?
You can count that I will follow the federal law/guidelines and local laws. Don't conflate my prediction of what the President would do, which I got wrong because I predicted it would in less days, with what I would do. They are not remotely the same. Read the letters to the Governers today. They are going with low, median, and high risk counties. Makes sense. NYC and NOLA? high risk. East Nowhere Montana? Low Risk. I bet those living in highly packed, big cities, with people who refuse to follow the rules. are wishing they were in flyover country now. Charged with Terrorism. Gonna be a bad day for him?

keep your eyes on Louisiana! currently has case count rate-of-increase faster than anywhere else in the world...
Mardi Gras

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
WOTD : What the hell is wrong with people?

I just came back from the store, breaking self-imposed isolation since Monday. What did I see? To be honest, traffic on the Interstate as seen from local road overpass is lighter. Lighter, not decimated, just lighter than it would be on a Friday at 4:00 PM.

However ... the local roads traffic is HEAVIER than it would be normally on Friday at 4:00 PM. I passed by a park that is not exactly a city park, it is in the boonies and they even have a shooting range in the open. Well, there were way more cars than there would be on normal Friday at 4:00 PM.

People ... if Government decided (right or wrong, doesn't matter) that the strategy to deal with this COVID-19 mess is to force people to stay home in order to not come in contact with other people ... why are you forcing their hand? Are you really going to be happier when you will need authorized pass to show at police road block that justifies your presence on the road? Are you going to be happier when you will be forced to explain why you are not going to your closest grocery store or gas station? Do you really want them to crack down so hard that even those few businesses that are still open will close and those people will lose their jobs?

What the hell is WRONG with you people? How can you be so ignorant, selfish and, finally, just plain stupid? When will you stop running with the wrong crowd - in this case "I, me and myself" crowd?

And if you believe that police roadblocks, heavy fines and jail time will NEVER happen because "America, fu#$%ck yeah!" ... well, that is exactly the reason why I called you ignorant in the paragraph above in addition to selfish and stupid.

Honestly, I am venting here because I am selfish, too. See, I would really, but really like to keep the freedom to at least take a drive in the country with an open window when cabin fever reaches the point of psychosomatic - meaning, you actually feel physical discomfort (shortness of breath, palpitations, sweating ...) caused by mental causes. Something that will be taken away from me and many others who are trying to play fair because your selfish a$$ cannot possibly not take advantage of those freedoms we still have - so you can say to yourself that life is normal, just as it was before this mess.

I am ashamed and, frankly, pi$$ed off to be called the same species as you and to be thrown in the same group of elements as you, you waste of good oxygen.

3541 - 3560 of 3580 Posts