Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

3561 - 3580 of 3580 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
WOTD : What the hell is wrong with people?

I just came back from the store, breaking self-imposed isolation since Monday. What did I see? To be honest, traffic on the Interstate as seen from local road overpass is lighter. Lighter, not decimated, just lighter than it would be on a Friday at 4:00 PM.

However ... the local roads traffic is HEAVIER than it would be normally on Friday at 4:00 PM. I passed by a park that is not exactly a city park, it is in the boonies and they even have a shooting range in the open. Well, there were way more cars than there would be on normal Friday at 4:00 PM.

People ... if Government decided (right or wrong, doesn't matter) that the strategy to deal with this COVID-19 mess is to force people to stay home in order to not come in contact with other people ... why are you forcing their hand? Are you really going to be happier when you will need authorized pass to show at police road block that justifies your presence on the road? Are you going to be happier when you will be forced to explain why you are not going to your closest grocery store or gas station? Do you really want them to crack down so hard that even those few businesses that are still open will close and those people will lose their jobs?

What the hell is WRONG with you people? How can you be so ignorant, selfish and, finally, just plain stupid? When will you stop running with the wrong crowd - in this case "I, me and myself" crowd?

And if you believe that police roadblocks, heavy fines and jail time will NEVER happen because "America, fu#$%ck yeah!" ... well, that is exactly the reason why I called you ignorant in the paragraph above in addition to selfish and stupid.

Honestly, I am venting here because I am selfish, too. See, I would really, but really like to keep the freedom to at least take a drive in the country with an open window when cabin fever reaches the point of psychosomatic - meaning, you actually feel physical discomfort (shortness of breath, palpitations, sweating ...) caused by mental causes. Something that will be taken away from me and many others who are trying to play fair because your selfish a$$ cannot possibly not take advantage of those freedoms we still have - so you can say to yourself that life is normal, just as it was before this mess.

I am ashamed and, frankly, pi$$ed off to be called the same species as you and to be thrown in the same group of elements as you, you waste of good oxygen.

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,562
If the MSM keeps cutting away from the daily press briefings because they want to edit what their viewers see, learn a new acronym. EAS

Then watch them cry as they lose total control of their resources.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If the MSM keeps cutting away from the daily press briefings because they want to edit what their viewers see, learn a new acronym. EAS

Then watch them cry as they lose total control of their resources.

these remarks sound somewhat political! - but once again, they are coming from our 'super moderator' - so I will take the opening they offer and respond accordingly.

legitimate media now cuts away because they realize these press briefings are mostly bullish!t spewing out of every orifice...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes I was very upset to miss the pillow guy’s speech, we don’t get CSPAN or FoxNews or the new favourite of the US administration, softball question channel OANN, up here in Canada.

I was hoping to get info on some pillows and some Eqyptian cotton sheets. Why don’t they use American cotton? Not very patriotic.

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,565
All whines are welcome. You don’t like a network? Whine away. Sometimes its good to vent.

In 2009, for H1N1, and 2014 for Ebola, the US National Strategic Stockpile of Masks were mostly depleted. They were never replaced. In the last few weeks, US companies (except apparently GM) have been coming forward to willingly, without being forced to via the DPA, to shift production to medical supplies. Here’s an example.

United Technologies donates 90,000 pieces of equipment, next week, 1,000,000 pieces, now producing shields. Like other companies, they just volunteered. The CEO spoke at one of those press briefings. Funny I don't hear any complaints about him. The Star Tribune lists many Minnesota companies shifting production from commercial ventures to medical supplies, all heroes (e.g., Ecolab, Gemini Athletic Wear, Stuart Lee, etc.). The Pillow Guy is an American Success Story, former college dropout, former crack addict, turned himself around and now runs a multimillion dollar/year company. He doesn't have to do anything. He was in a position to help, and chose to do so. I get it the MSM freaked out when he interjected his religious beliefs (and perhaps he could of left that out), but the MSM opinions are no longer relevant.

I am sure the American health care workers who get those masks don't care one bit what the press thinks when one of the masks just might save them from catching this virus. And thats what this is about, helping and saving the lives of the health care workers, not some journalists "opinions". Which one doing you think matters?

So if you want to whine about him, whine. That is why this thread has always existed. All I know is I wish I had the resources to do what he is doing, and make 50,000 masks a days for the health care workers (well actually I'd rather be one of the booze makers converting Vodka to hand sanitizer, that sounds cool ?). Pillow Guy is a hero today, along with every other US company willingly making, producing, donating whatever they can, to the medical community. And if just one of the masks he makes prevents any health care worker from catching this virus, I believe that health care worker would thank him in an instant. ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mocking the US armed forces?
No, I would never mock the men on the ground, at sea, in the air, or I guess outside of earth’s atmosphere may apply now. They would be the reason I and my parents are here on earth and not speaking German at this point.

That being said, as a British born Canadian citizen it is my duty to mock people of authority, people who believe they have authority and people who act as if they have authority. See Monty Python, available on Netflix for examples of such.

I realize whatever Space Force will be tasked with will be important for national security- most of its tasks were previously being handled by the Air Force already I believe.
But,for some reason the name “Space Force” makes me chuckle every time I hear it. Might be because it reminds me of a title of a B movie or a bad Saturday morning cartoon from the 60’s/70’s. It may be that the creation of Space Force was just to feed an ego.

I’m not sure but it still makes me laugh every time I hear the term and who does not need a laugh in these trying times.

·
Registered
485 Posts
What the hell is WRONG with you people? How can you be so ignorant, selfish and, finally, just plain stupid? When will you stop running with the wrong crowd - in this case "I, me and myself" crowd?
In Collin County, TX (where I live), there have been a total of 184 confirmed cases, out of a population of 1 million and a size of approximately 900 square miles. We're in close proximity to Dallas County which has 731 cases in 2.6 million people in 900 square miles. The freeways and streets are fairly clear, but still, I think most people see the chances of actually contracting the virus as slim as long as you put moderate self-protections in place. This isn't New York City with a population density of 26000 people/sq mile, and probably quadruple that if you consider the amount of commuters who file in and out of NYC on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
In Collin County, TX (where I live),

This isn't New York City with a population density of 26000 people/sq mile, and probably quadruple that if you consider the amount of commuters who file in and out of NYC on a daily basis.
Understood, but that wasn't the point.

Texas Government, as of this morning, still didn't issue "Stay at home" order/recommendation. So, you do as you please in order to protect yourself or follow other type of strategy that Texas Governnent put in place to deal with this.

Now ...

Where I live, State Government did issue "Stay at home" order. This means, that, differently than Texas (and no comment whatsoever on validity of either, most definitely NOT the point), Ohio Government believes that segregation and isolation is the best strategy to use to fix this. Governments are not known as lithe, ever-changing on-their-feet entities like Silicon Valley startups - when Plan A fails, Governments usually grab the knob on the Plan A volume and crank it way up.

In this case, that would mean police control of movement and permits/passes issued only to those who have a good reason to be on the road and out of their residence. Which literally puts you in the prison without you necessarily doing anything wrong. I have BIG issue with that.

Fido not liking to take a dump in the backyard and needs to go to county park 10 miles away is not going to qualify as a good reason. So, you just might start training the damn Fido right now to crap in the backyard.

I hope I explained better what I said in that post. And, if anything, in 3 days that passed, I am even more mad at people and how stupid/selfish they are. You can bet your portfolio they will be the first ones to complain and call for a revolution or lawyers when Government inevitably does crack down on freedom of movement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Wjile I appreciate that "we are all in this together" and "we prioritize health and safety", I am getting fed up with emails from every organization I have ever dealt with (and some that I swear I haven't), expressing their sincere concern and wishes for my health. Enough already! I wonder how many CEO's actually wrote any of this drivel.

I know that deep down, they want to add "let's hope that this ends soon so we can go back to sellling stuff."

Thank you, I'm done now.

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,570

·
Registered
485 Posts
Understood, but that wasn't the point.

Texas Government, as of this morning, still didn't issue "Stay at home" order/recommendation. So, you do as you please in order to protect yourself or follow other type of strategy that Texas Governnent put in place to deal with this.

Now ...

Where I live, State Government did issue "Stay at home" order. This means, that, differently than Texas (and no comment whatsoever on validity of either, most definitely NOT the point), Ohio Government believes that segregation and isolation is the best strategy to use to fix this. Governments are not known as lithe, ever-changing on-their-feet entities like Silicon Valley startups - when Plan A fails, Governments usually grab the knob on the Plan A volume and crank it way up.

In this case, that would mean police control of movement and permits/passes issued only to those who have a good reason to be on the road and out of their residence. Which literally puts you in the prison without you necessarily doing anything wrong. I have BIG issue with that.

Fido not liking to take a dump in the backyard and needs to go to county park 10 miles away is not going to qualify as a good reason. So, you just might start training the damn Fido right now to crap in the backyard.

I hope I explained better what I said in that post. And, if anything, in 3 days that passed, I am even more mad at people and how stupid/selfish they are. You can bet your portfolio they will be the first ones to complain and call for a revolution or lawyers when Government inevitably does crack down on freedom of movement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Honestly, it doesn't make sense for a state like Texas to issue a state-wide stay-at-home order. This is a large and very diverse area. There are significant portions of Texas that are fairly isolated. There may be a town of 30 or so ranchers, half of which may have never been out of the county. These are the same people who have no use for Obamacare.

Texas is very much a microcosm of the US as a whole. City areas like Houston, Dallas, and Austin lean liberal. Most of the other areas are rather conservative. The liberal/conservative lean seems to be very closely related to population density.

Our county does have a stay at home order, though our county also has a quite diverse area. It's mostly suburbia, but also has farms and little towns of 30 residents out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The January 1918 to December 1920 flu pandemic, usually referred to as the 1918 flu pandemic or Spanish Flu, did not occur in 1917 nor is it referred to as the 1917 flu pandemic. Seems simple but maybe it is not?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just clearing up confusion. Tariffs on goods are paid by the importer of the goods and usually these cost are passed on to the consumer and/or end user of these goods. The exporting country does not pay the tariffs.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
WOTD : Why are our roads so ugly?

I propose Nationwide Street Beautification Project - a.k.a. "Cash For Trash"

Here's Cliffs Notes:

• Turn in your pickup truck for a hatchback or economy car, get $2,000
  • Turn in your pickup truck for minivan or family sedan, get $2,500
  • Turn in your pickup truck for station wagon, get $3,000 ($5,000 if Volvo V90 without lift and plastic cladding)
  • Turn in your pickup truck for sports car, get $5,000
  • Turn in your pickup truck for Porsche sports car, get $10,000
Replace "pickup" with "crossover", "small SUV" and "full size SUV" and slightly change dollar amounts for complete tables. Done.

Make America Beautiful Again, Mr. Trump!

PS: in case you wonder where did THIS come from ... I was returning to the office after a lunch at home and, in the sea of 18 wheelers, specialized trucks with and without cranes on them, contractor trucks, civilian pickup trucks ... there comes a deep blue with black cloth roof 718 Boxster. My God! You need to see that to realize how much ugliness there is around us. All. The. Time. And I hope you will realize from the Cliffs Notes that you do not necessarily need Porsche sports car to remove ugliness ...

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
This is probably at the top of Congress' to do list; right ?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
WOTD : Software woes

I am back in the office and aggravation started again - as you can see from posts here. Anyway ...

From the long-ish experience with it, I came to the conclusion that only two adjectives describe software-human interaction at the present. So, the software is, for human beings, either

a) stupid

or

b) potentially dangerous/lethal

Without going philosophical, I do not see 3rd ground possible. If there comes the Skynet, we totally, fully deserved it. I mean, I fully understand it, don't get me wrong. Couple of weeks ago, I was working from home, it was as picture perfect day as you can imagine ... 65 degrees, no humidity, light breeze, no cloud in the sky. I really need to exercise, so mowing the lawn with serious elevation changes is a very good 1 hour exercise. What did I do? I paid someone to mow the lawn.

I get it, we are all lazy and want software or someone to do it for us - especially so when we do not like the chore. The difference is that I am still mad at myself and am still calling myself stupid moron for paying someone instead of taking the opportunity to exercise and I still do not want to let it happen again. Not so with people who praise software and see nothing wrong with (over) using it.

Yes, I am also acutely aware that I am getting old and turning into a grumpy old man. I'm sure that world will be fine when I/we leave it, just as it was for untold generations. Except for the fact that I am still convinced that my father's was the last generation who truly had it better than their fathers.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Not a whine, but I do not want to start another thread just to post this.

It is very fascinating to see how we humans are wired to take risks. Without serious stopping what you are doing and booting of the rational circuit, we mostly ignore many risks we are exposed to daily. Which is really a good thing, our species wouldn't survive if one generation all survived by not ever leaving home and died of old age without ever meeting another human being. Plug in for a really good book to read if you had enough about pandemic and associated themes ... The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Just for a change.

So, yesterday I went to the store mid-afternoon and was driving back home. Weather was in high 50s, sky gray and completely covered in clouds, not even a remote possibility of a single sun ray hitting the ground. On a secondary road through the neighborhood coming from the opposite direction is a guy riding the motorcycle. Not sure what it was, but something of the Suzuki GSX-R or Honda CBR type, not Harley Davidson type - those popularly called "crotch rocket" and for a good reason. So, here comes this dude riding a bike capable of accelerating to 150 mph in couple of blocks and he wears : a very light jacket (think windbreaker), sun glasses and ... wait for it ... face mask.

He certainly got his priorities straight when it comes to mitigating the risk(s) of riding that bike (no helmet, no protective clothing of any kind to just start with). But face mask at 50 mph and shades on a totally sunless day? ... yeah, all good to go. Made me laugh really good.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Not a whine, but I do not want to start another thread just to post this.

It is very fascinating to see how we humans are wired to take risks. Without serious stopping what you are doing and booting of the rational circuit, we mostly ignore many risks we are exposed to daily. Which is really a good thing, our species wouldn't survive if one generation all survived by not ever leaving home and died of old age without ever meeting another human being. Plug in for a really good book to read if you had enough about pandemic and associated themes ... The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Just for a change.

So, yesterday I went to the store mid-afternoon and was driving back home. Weather was in high 50s, sky gray and completely covered in clouds, not even a remote possibility of a single sun ray hitting the ground. On a secondary road through the neighborhood coming from the opposite direction is a guy riding the motorcycle. Not sure what it was, but something of the Suzuki GSX-R or Honda CBR type, not Harley Davidson type - those popularly called "crotch rocket" and for a good reason. So, here comes this dude riding a bike capable of accelerating to 150 mph in couple of blocks and he wears : a very light jacket (think windbreaker), sun glasses and ... wait for it ... face mask.

He certainly got his priorities straight when it comes to mitigating the risk(s) of riding that bike (no helmet, no protective clothing of any kind to just start with). But face mask at 50 mph and shades on a totally sunless day? ... yeah, all good to go. Made me laugh really good.
lol...that's a good one. Makes me chuckle when I see people in their cars, all by themselves, wearing masks.

3561 - 3580 of 3580 Posts