Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently after sending my car for change oil at an indi shop. when I started the car, it produced a loud whine, instead of the engine going VROOM at start, it went like WHIIINNEE with a high pitch for a second.
we all noticed it since it was very loud (i have NHP and custom borla for lesser droning) but after starting it again and again, it gave a normal startup sound. but after 2 weeks it happened again, and today it happened twice, today i sent it back to the shop and it happened again in the morning. it seems to happen only at cold start. they could not determine what was causing it. they only advice me to try to change the tensioner of the belt

I also experience quicker drop of RPM when engine is cold. im not sure if its related but it sure started the same day i heard the whining noise.

should we change the tensioner or does anyone have a better idea where to start?

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are a number of things that could cause this noise when the engine starts. Not just the tensioner, but any of the pulleys on the serpentine belt, including the water pump. You'd need to pull the belt off and check each pulley for play. For the water pump, look to see if there is any dried coolant around the pulley shaft to indicate bearing failure. Since this happened right after an oil change, wonder if they overfilled the oil. What reading to you see when you turn the key to on but not start engine? If overfilled, oil could get sucked into the AOS.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts