Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a few mods to my gf's 2007 Cayman S and decided to take pics with my car...

The mods I added to her car were a 6000k HID kit, LED bulbs for the parking lights, LED license plate bulbs and the clear/euro sidemarkers. She wants me to vinyl part of the diffuser and the lower mirrors in matte black, but I'm not sure I can do it and I don't really want to pay someone to do it either.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What do you think of the M5? Aside from the Cayman, that's another car I'm considering in my search. Have maintenance costs been anything worrisome? Anything to watch out for in used ones? TIA

·
Registered
565 Posts
That first picture is amazing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you think of the M5? Aside from the Cayman, that's another car I'm considering in my search. Have maintenance costs been anything worrisome? Anything to watch out for in used ones? TIA
I love my M5. I bought it new in 2008 and I'm still under warranty and maintenance, thankfully.

The car is fantastic. I came from an E46 M3 before I got the M5 and I haven't looked back. For such a large car, it handles great and it is superb on the track. The raw power and the roar of the V10 is exhilarating. Low-end torque, like most M engines, is the only downside. But, the top-end pulls like no other.

I've never had an M car out of warranty and free-maintenance, so I can't really comment on how the costs would be. The car has been trouble-free for 2 years and 25k miles. No issues. The only problem is, if you're worried about costs, that it gets 14mpg and the gas tank is somewhat small. It's a gas station killer for sure.

With regard to used ones, don't go for a 2006. They had the most amount of problems (with SMG). I would go for an LCI-model (which is a 2008 and up).

Compared to my gf's Cayman S, the M5 destroys it in the straights, but in the turns the Cayman S is obviously faster, but not by much (my M5 has a Dinan Stage 2 suspension). I like the amenities that my M5 has to offer and I'm a big guy, so it's very comfortable for me. Plus, the M5 comes with an LSD standard, something that I can't live without.

Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck with your search!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I think the '08+ is out of my budget so it looks like I might just cross that one off the list. I do value handling over outright horsepower, so that's probably a good idea anyway.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Nice pics. If you two get married, what kind of baby car would look like? A Mini? Just kidding.

I put a shaded license plate protector on mine since I have Seal Grey so it blends in. I wouldn't want to make it any easier for LEOs aim or spot a plate.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
The mods I added to her car were a 6000k HID kit, LED bulbs for the parking lights, LED license plate bulbs and the clear/euro sidemarkers. She wants me to vinyl part of the diffuser and the lower mirrors in matte black, but I'm not sure I can do it and I don't really want to pay someone to do it either.
Where did you get the LED parking light bulbs and the LED license plate bulbs? To tell the truth, the LED plate bulbs are one of the few things I like about the late model Lexus.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where did you get the LED parking light bulbs and the LED license plate bulbs? To tell the truth, the LED plate bulbs are one of the few things I like about the late model Lexus.....
I got the LED license plate bulbs from Jlevisw.com who is also KrafTechnik. Here's a link to their thread on the LED's:

http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendor...enon-white-led-license-plate-light-bulbs.html

I got these LED parking lights:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/30158-led-parking-light-bulbs.html

BUT, they suck. They're VERY dim and they stay on for a few minutes when the car is off.

I just ordered these and will give them a try when they get in:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-modifications/39863-superbright-led-side-lights.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great pics. Have you installed the new LED parking lights yet? How do the compare? Also, what are you running for your fogs?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts