Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s baffling… the demographic in the pic seems very unlikely to be a 911 owner, let alone a classic 911 owner…

And “streetwear”…this is not likely to appeal to the old men in the 911 demographic.

It’s kind of comical actually. Looks like SNL skit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
They got the old man market. Need to get the younger market, but most don’t have the cash yet or have other pressing issues that eat up your cash like a wife, kids, home, etc. You have have some good money to buy a new Porsche when you are young.
Agreed. Planting the seed. They already know where their loyal base is. I've seen an increasing attempt by Porsche to target both the young and females. Through advertising, club/internal publication articles and social media. Consider it an investment into the future since some of us old farts may not be around to buy the 2030 to 40 models. Granted, many in the younger generation will not have the funds to purchase a new model now, they may later. I've seen ALOT of young kids buying up and fixing affordable 914s, 924s and 944s. The cars collectors may pass over. Consider that an entry into a brand experience that Porsche hopes will hook them into a more expensive platform as they age and acquire wealth.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The "Joe Camel" marketing method to young people looking for possible lifetime customers? I agree the ad is goofy and way outside of their typical target audience.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have been watching the YouTube vids on lutftgehl show in California. Lots of younger people going to look at old air cooled Porsches. This ad looks like it was for them. They can’t afford the car but the clothes and other Porsche designed stuff they likely can.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Markets changing, "kids" are thinking electric(generally).....they view ICE's as "pops" ride.
It's sort of like street bikes,I live in Daytona, and Bike Week is looking more and more like "geriatric week" every year...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Crazy thing is so many people live in apartments and park on the street. They can never go EV without EV plugs for every street and parking lot in the country. That kind of infrastructure might happen over the next 50 years. ICE will be around for awhile and EVs will be for the rich for sometime. Need something like 35 lithium factories a year to try to replace ICE. Just don’t see it happening. I am holding out for synthetic fuel and keeping my ICE forever. Porsche selling electric as well, right now the cheapest is 80k so doubt the young people can afford, unless maybe your living with your parents.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This particular ad in OP is ridiculous, agreed. However, if you happen to be in Barnes&Noble for any reason, ask to see vinyl display and check it out. Yes, it is obviously set up for grey-haired people, but it does have also some newer stuff. Now imagine the vinyl display in a hip music store for younger people. Vinyl. Stuff that positively went away in the early '90s, curled under a rock then died, never to come back . I lived it and remember it very well. There was NO CHANCE for vinyl to make a comeback. None. And yet.

Just a day or two ago I read an article on my phone flipped from Car and Driver or Road and Track, cannot remember. Point was a huge uptick in manual transmissions sold. Speculations went from same number of customers are buying from the shorter list of models that have MT available, so % is up - all the way down to kids buying them because they will be positively gone in 10 years and they want to experience it.

Porsche, IMO, seems to be perceived today quite a bit differently from the '80s when I was growing up. Porsche was for tennis stars and lawyers - and I believe I remember that was also the marketing vibe they used. Today, with the help from the stars like Michael Fassbender, Patrick Dempsey and somebody else I just cannot remember at the moment, it is more of a stuff for serious connoisseurs and serious drivers. At least that is the vibe I think I am seeing.

I think Porsche is doing well to make itself known to people who are 18-25 years old today. If anything, when EVs become refrigerators (cheap, flawless appliances), there will be very few companies to go to for a serious driving tool. Porsche will be one of those few waiting happily for that loud ka-ching.

Not portable, degrading with use, not flexible (can't mix songs), huge in size and expensive was all correct and still is - CD had none of those problems. Smelly, loud, heavy maintenance, slow and expensive - all of that is correct when comparing a 911 to Taycan. But I wouldn't write off 911 with ICE, not by a long shot. If there is a car to imagine that will sell for $500,000 new in 30 years, that will certainly be ICE powered 911, not Taycan. You will need those kids now earning serious money to splurge on those. You indoctrinate them while they are young.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The ad is pretty funny. If Porsche wants kids on the brand-wagon (I just made up that word), they should get in F1. There's a huge push for Formula 1 right now in the states. And if the kids can't afford the car, at least they can cheer on the team w/ a good set of drivers. Let that be their guide along w/ the video games. They'll buy the apparel at events, etc.

On a side note, and I don't want to turn this in to another ICE/EV thread. But I really think the rhetoric of ICE completely going away needs to stop. It's not going anywhere. It will live in harmony w/ EV's. Even the kids pictured will be driving ICE vehicles until they're dead from old age.

·
Registered
2013 2.7L PDK Boxter
75 Posts
maybe sucessful UTubers and IT people? IMO I don't think gasoline will go away but will be produced in lesser quantities as the EV's come into play ten years or so from now. We just need to reduce the power of OPEC to strangle us at will. Let's get on with building that infrastructure! ChopChop,pronto and NOW!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The ad is pretty funny. If Porsche wants kids on the brand-wagon (I just made up that word), they should get in F1. There's a huge push for Formula 1 right now in the states. And if the kids can't afford the car, at least they can cheer on the team w/ a good set of drivers. Let that be their guide along w/ the video games. They'll buy the apparel at events, etc.
The problem is nor Porsche nor Audi stand a snowball's chance in hell getting an F1 team. TV rights for ESPN went up SIXTEENFOLD for renewal in 2023. Which means, ESPN will pay for 2023 rights 16 times what it paid for 2022. Do I think VW doesn't have money to start F1 team? Nope, VW does have that money, but it is not allowed to do so. F1 became like NFL and, if you want a franchise, you gotta buy existing one, can't start one and join like if Bernie Ecclestone was still running the show. Now that everyone knows there will be NO new teams in F1 and TV rights are getting through the roof expensive, only a darn fool would sell an existing F1 team.

Porsche was told, in order to pair with Red Bull as engine provider, to step back and provide engines, keep their mouth shut and have no part in decision making - and Porsche politely declined.

The only path for them, right now, is hugely speculative scenario where Alpha Tauri is sold now that Dieter Mateschitz died, bought by Andretti who then partners with Porsche. Tall order. About 0.0001 probability of happening.

Frankly, for F1 fans, I would much rather see Cosworth as engine supplier than Audi or Porsche. I also happen to think that Porsche shouldn't get on a bandwagon where everybody else is and keep doing quirky things like prepping a 911 for Dakar rally or climbing Pikes Peak. For example. Keep that "only for chosen" vibe going - kids today seem to be much less impressed by "everybody has one" when compared with 80's kids when I was growing up.

All of that IMO, of course.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I don’t have any kids of my own, however my coworkers and friends that do say that their kids are not even interested in getting their drivers license or driving anything.

Their entire life is app based, and it seems they aren’t interested in doing anything for themselves if there’s someone else that can do for them like Uber

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don’t have any kids of my own, however my coworkers and friends that do say that their kids are not even interested in getting their drivers license or driving anything.

Their entire life is app based, and it seems they aren’t interested in doing anything for themselves if there’s someone else that can do for them like Uber
I also have no kids either but my 11yo great nephew doesn’t see Porsche as anything special. If it’s not a Lambo or McLaren it’s nothing special.

Reactions: ICNU and Chris(NJ)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

My oldest nephew was the exact same way. word for word. He swore up and down he never wanted anything to do with a car. Fast forward to last month.....Got his license, a girlfriend and now he wants a BMW lol. Their minds change once its time.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I also have no kids either but my 11yo great nephew doesn’t see Porsche as anything special. If it’s not a Lambo or McLaren it’s nothing special.

Also same experience here hahah. 3 nephews and for all 3 of them, the CS was always..."meh". They don't really care. But they're not in a household that values sports cars, either. None of them know how to turn a wrench. I taught them how to change brakes on my sisters car and they enjoyed the experience, but it stopped once it came time to clean up the tools and they ran back inside.
Different times, for sure. But maybe not all hope is lost just yet.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have been watching the YouTube vids on lutftgehl show in California. Lots of younger people going to look at old air cooled Porsches. This ad looks like it was for them. They can’t afford the car but the clothes and other Porsche designed stuff they likely can.
Completely agree -- a $100 T-shirt IS affordable next to the price of a car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m 41 now. I’ve had a used 2000 Boxster S, a used 2001 996 cab, and now a used 2018 base cayman. Someday if I can buy one I’ll do it. Maybe I won’t. Porsche knows exactly what they’re doing. I’ve taken my cayman to import shows around here and everyone loves it. Most owners are too pretentious or old to park next to a 350z or a beat up civic. I just love sharing the car.

That’s who this is for. They would eat this ad up. It’s good to aspire.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts