Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car more than a year but hadn't really noticed how long the clutch travel is on my 981. The car has been in storage a couple of months because we're building a new garage. I took it out of storage on Wednesday and immediately felt that the clutch travel is looooong. I've been driving my 5spd MT WRX and the contrast is surprising.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
That's always been one of my complaints. Both the clutch and brake pedals are very high ... not such a big deal with the brake, but something I find annoying with the clutch.

I'm 6'3" and typically keep my seat all the way back. With the 981, I can't reach the bottom of the clutch throw that way, so I now have to keep my seat further up to give me better access to the clutch. There must be a reason Porsche uses that pedal placement, but I really don't know why.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm 6'3" also and have no problem with the clutch at all. Is there a difference between the Boxster and Cayman? My seat is back all the way with quite a bit of recline, but seems just right. My left foot goes all the way to the floor when necessary. Are we talking about the engagement point of the clutch or just having your foot hit the floor?

Reactions: JohnnyQuest

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
i have drove my customers 981 6mt and i find the clutch long..compared to the 993 and 997..i also wished that the accelerator pedal be a bit more level with the other two pedals for heel toe.. but you dont need it in this car , because there is rev matching..

Lemon

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have drove my customers 981 6mt and i find the clutch long..compared to the 993 and 997..i also wished that the accelerator pedal be a bit more level with the other two pedals for heel toe.. but you dont need it in this car , because there is rev matching..

Lemon
No rev matching here. Didn't get SC. I can't heel-toe at all in the 981 because of pedal placement and the fact that the brakes engage almost immediately with limited progression.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
i also wished that the accelerator pedal be a bit more level with the other two pedals for heel toe..
Agreed! H&T difficult, and I looked at aftermarket pedals referenced in another topic, but I don't see how they will help with the height differential. OK with clutch but, again, a uniform height of pedals "at rest" and also "at full actuation" would be ideal -- especially for an enthusiast's car.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Agreed! H&T difficult, and I looked at aftermarket pedals referenced in another topic, but I don't see how they will help with the height differential. OK with clutch but, again, a uniform height of pedals "at rest" and also "at full actuation" would be ideal -- especially for an enthusiast's car.
I think that we are either built very differently or you are completely inept! :) Because quite honestly, I can't imagine any car having a better set up for heel toe shifting. I find the pedals are perfectly positioned. I felt like a champ within 100 feet of leaving the dealer's lot. I'm 5'9, 145 lbs, and wear a size 8 shoe. So I can see that you > 6' freaks of nature may have trouble that correctly-sized people don't. I heel toe with every downshift without even thinking, and I just can't help but smiling smugly at how good I am at it and how happy I am to have bought a 2013 before they added that silly, useless rev match device. I also think the clutch travel is about perfect.

Reactions: TimD

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Yes, very long in my opinion. I'm only 5'10" and have my seat much closer to the windshield than past cars. It's definitely an adjustment but starting to get used to it. I've had my CS for less than 3 weeks now. So, I figure in a couple months it'll feel very natural.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Pedal placement is one of the few weak spots in these cars. I have no complaints about the clutch (PDK) but it's kind of annoying when my foot slips off the accelerator every so often because they put it so far to the right.

It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.... but if the same people in charge of the accelerator placement and spring tension had anything to do with the clutch, I can understand how six-speed owners would have a legitimate beef. I'm pretty sure whoever designed the gas pedal rides a bus to work.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I think that we are either built very differently or you are completely inept! :) Because quite honestly, I can't imagine any car having a better set up for heel toe shifting. I find the pedals are perfectly positioned. I felt like a champ within 100 feet of leaving the dealer's lot. I'm 5'9, 145 lbs, and wear a size 8 shoe. So I can see that you > 6' freaks of nature may have trouble that correctly-sized people don't. I heel toe with every downshift without even thinking, and I just can't help but smiling smugly at how good I am at it and how happy I am to have bought a 2013 before they added that silly, useless rev match device. I also think the clutch travel is about perfect.

Johnny- you may only be a puny 145 Lbs but it seems like your hat size is enormous!

Reactions: KCZ and Wild Weasel

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Johnny- you may only be a puny 145 Lbs but it seems like your hat size is enormous!
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with this jab. I just wanted to chime in and point out that it's hilarious. :hilarious:

·
Registered
302 Posts
With all the endless reviews of these cars by the automotive "experts" I have not seen one comment about the clutch travel or pedal placement. This is my 5th manual Porsche and the best by far. Could the problem be seat placement or adjustment, height etc?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wild Weasel - It is hilarious. I have no complaints about the pedal placements at all. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a Toyota anyway.

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With all the endless reviews of these cars by the automotive "experts" I have not seen one comment about the clutch travel or pedal placement. This is my 5th manual Porsche and the best by far. Could the problem be seat placement or adjustment, height etc?
If this is your fifth Porsche and the best manual by far, you haven't owned a 993 ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Clutch travel is definitely too long. But, I am happy that the clutch is not heavy as the GT3.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
In this video, the reviewer (Chris Harris) mentions his disappointment with the brake pedals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk-6s-ZhlYs

In this video another reviewer mentions that the clutch feels "strange" at about the 2:50 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgpDtbcEY04

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can't speak for the 981, but in my 987 I find the brake and accelerator a bit far apart. Maybe I am just used to my Alfa in which they are much closer and more even in terms of pedal travel. I think I was spoiled by being able to rev match and double clutch using the left and right side of my sole on the brake and accelerator. In the 987, I really do need to use my toe and heel to heel and toe.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I almost 6' tall. (I've shrunk in my old age. :( ) I've had one 986 S, two 987s, and one 981S. The Clutch/Brake has been perfect in all of them.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I test drove two 981 Caymans with manual transmission. Compared to my (now gone) 987 Cayman....I felt pretty much everything about the 981 manual experience was a fail. Clutch feel/travel. Shifter throw and location. Everything was just awkward. Actually the clutch in my 986 Boxster was better than both the 987 and 981. The winner overall for manual driving experience was a 987.2 Cayman R I test drove. Amazing.

I'm now in a 981 with PDK and happy with my decision....although I'll eventually be back in a manual car at some point.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I am one of the "freaks of nature" and heel/toe is possible, but I am loving rev matching so unless I am practicing I am very have with letting the car help out.
However I do think the clutch throw is about an inch longer than I prefer. If you have any issue in this regard it is possible move the seat base slightly forward and that should solve the problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts