Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
The website has good info, but still shows Out of Stock, and Amazon says its Unavailable. I emailed Antigravity to see if they have a date for getting it back in stock...

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would wait. My RS-30 died while on the highway in the fall (which is a very interesting experience if you’ve never tried suddenly not having a battery when you’re blasting down the highway) but still showed two bars of charge. I just hooked a new CTEK Lithium to it tonight and it refused to charge it. I’m waiting on some support from CTEK about it. It came without the right-sized posts for my car as well.

Overall I’ve been disappointed with the whole experience. I would really like to go lithium, but I’m thinking Antigravity is not it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So... a lot of "I replaced"... what about the "I haven't replaced"? I'm even in NE! My '13 Boxster is still, I gather, on the original battery (I'd have to quadruple check records, it has gotten through a 40k mile service when I bought it)... I do CTEK charge it during winter months where I drive it only a bit (say once every ten days for a day or two).

edit: every single time it just starts right up!

·
Registered
49 Posts
FYI - I did email AntiGravity and got the following prompt and informative reply, so I'm sharing here. Link to the new model below, supposedly coming out in March.
--------

Hello Tim and thank you for reaching out to us. We actually have a new line coming out that will be a better option for you as we've expanded the automotive segment and will now offer drop in OEM sizing so you'll no longer need an additional bracket for the battery. Outside of that, the Re-Start feature had been updated and improved to allow for a deeper discharge and the batteries will also have different capacity options to cater to the application it will be used in. Lastly, these new models will also come with a wireless remote keyfob to trigger the Re-Start function without having to actually access the battery. We are in the process of currently releasing this line and should be looking to have it available within a month or so.

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h6-rs/
[/FONT]

·
Registered
34,172 Posts
So... a lot of "I replaced"... what about the "I haven't replaced"? I'm even in NE! My '13 Boxster is still, I gather, on the original battery (I'd have to quadruple check records, it has gotten through a 40k mile service when I bought it)... I do CTEK charge it during winter months where I drive it only a bit (say once every ten days for a day or two).
edit: every single time it just starts right up!
3/7/2014 build date. DD. Use the CTEK occasionally and it does bring back the *** but otherwise everything is good at 35k miles.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
FYI - I did email AntiGravity and got the following prompt and informative reply, so I'm sharing here. Link to the new model below, supposedly coming out in March.
--------

Hello Tim and thank you for reaching out to us. We actually have a new line coming out that will be a better option for you as we've expanded the automotive segment and will now offer drop in OEM sizing so you'll no longer need an additional bracket for the battery. Outside of that, the Re-Start feature had been updated and improved to allow for a deeper discharge and the batteries will also have different capacity options to cater to the application it will be used in. Lastly, these new models will also come with a wireless remote keyfob to trigger the Re-Start function without having to actually access the battery. We are in the process of currently releasing this line and should be looking to have it available within a month or so.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h6-rs/
Thanks for that. Very cool about the OEM fit. Also that remote sounds awesome.

Shame to hear about the battery dying for canux. That sucks!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Cayman 981 here in the UK, I hate stop/start so disconnected the sensor attached to the negative clamp on the starter battery, that gets rid of stop/start and smart charging, the alternator now reverts to a standard charging regime at around 14.2 volts continuous same as it did pre stop/start. With the sensor not in play there is no need to code the battery and without stop/start no need for an AGM battery.

Two of the links below relate to motor homes but also cover AGM battery technology and it`s short comings.

AGM In The Automotive World.
Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda are ditching AGM batteries from their cars and are moving back to Lead acid Wet/Flooded technology that are also lower cost than AGM.
Allegedly BMW are preparing to do the same. Some BMW Dealers have been replacing failed AGM batteries with a Wet Acid technology version, Enhanced Flooded Batteries (EFB), for some years to very good effect.

AGM Batteries for Motorhomes/Caravans - Failures

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Varta-Bosch-Powerframe-Technology-outperforms-AGM-Official/46850/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkGHI-x3jE

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have a Cayman 981 here in the UK, I hate stop/start so disconnected the sensor attached to the negative clamp on the starter battery, that gets rid of stop/start and smart charging, the alternator now reverts to a standard charging regime at around 14.2 volts continuous same as it did pre stop/start. With the sensor not in play there is no need to code the battery and without stop/start no need for an AGM battery.

Two of the links below relate to motor homes but also cover AGM battery technology and it`s short comings.

AGM In The Automotive World.
Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda are ditching AGM batteries from their cars and are moving back to Lead acid Wet/Flooded technology that are also lower cost than AGM.
Allegedly BMW are preparing to do the same. Some BMW Dealers have been replacing failed AGM batteries with a Wet Acid technology version, Enhanced Flooded Batteries (EFB), for some years to very good effect.

AGM Batteries for Motorhomes/Caravans - Failures

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Varta-Bosch-Powerframe-Technology-outperforms-AGM-Official/46850/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDkGHI-x3jE
Oh wow I didn't realize there was stop start functionality in Euro spec 981s! I thought it only recently got added to the 718 GT4/Spyders!

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Oh wow I didn't realize there was stop start functionality in Euro spec 981s! I thought it only recently got added to the 718 GT4/Spyders!
I had it on my 981's here in Canada as well...

·
Registered
31 Posts
It defaults to on in UK cars, my 981 is 2014, disconnecting the sensor should work on 718 cars, try it, if there is a problem plug connector back in.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
It defaults to on in UK cars, my 981 is 2014, disconnecting the sensor should work on 718 cars, try it, if there is a problem plug connector back in.
Curious what this sensor looks like, any chance that you have a photo?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My 2013 BS is on the factory Banner battery installed during build which was Nov. 2012. Still working well even though recently Porsche service says it's at 48 percent and will need replacing soon. Considering going to AutoZone and have them do a load test to get a second opinion. If it is bad, they have a H7 AGM battery with 80 AH which is higher than the 70 AH capacity that the car came with. I suspect there will be no issue since it also seems that an 80 AH battery is the spec Porsche specifies for a replacement battery.
Maybe it lasted this long since the auto S/S was disabled the day I bought it back in early 2013 and hasn't been turned on since.
OBTW resting volts on the battery is 12.82 Volts after two days rest.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do this and you don`t need to tell the car what battery you have, gets rid of stop/start and also fully charges the battery at a continuous safe 14.2 volts. It`s high volts that kill the battery. My Porsche is Aug 2013 with the original battery, the Merc is Dec 2011 also with original battery, I disconnected stop/start on the first day of ownership of my two cars. It appears this system may be the culprit of the early timing chain failures that are being discussed on the net. Estimated 600,000 lifetime starts as against 60,000 without stop/start, food for thought. I am not saying this failure (link below) was caused by the stop/start system but it was a 2014 car with that technology installed.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Autozone confirmed the battery was dying. So a brand new H57-AGM is now in my car. The only setting lost was the window indexing which was a 30 second fix. Everything else was as it was including my seat settings. Figure I saved roughly $400 bucks by not having the dealer replace the battery.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts