Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you order the optional XM radio from the factory, does it tie into the stock antenna or do they stick an extra dorky looking antenna on the back?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Low profile shark antenna on the roof.

dave-t

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It's that tiny bump on the back of the roof. Looks OK and radio works great. I like the entire PCM package a lot.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Low profile shark antenna on the roof.

dave-t
Factory XM antenna is a small truncated pyramid about 2" square, at most 1" high, just in front of the back hatch (at least on the Cayman). Painted to match body color. IMHO, it looks much less obvious than the shark fin you see on Beemers and others.

Reception is fantastic, integration with PCM 3.0 nagivation (oops...navigation) is well done - traffic info updates route regularly during long trips.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the great information!

So does this antenna come standard on all Caymans, or just those that have the XM option? Also, is XM available as an option by itself, or do you have to also order PCM?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
In order to have XM I believe you have to get PCM 3.0 and XM as a factory order option. Xm can not be added after taking delivery of you car at the dealership.

hope that helps,

dave-t

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
+1 I have PCM with XM, Bluetooth and the Ipod adapter. It's pricey but looks good and works like a charm.
I'm curious to know how good the XM sound quality is and the cost of the service monthly....

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm curious to know how good the XM sound quality is and the cost of the service monthly....
I forgot to mention I also ordered the Bose. The sub is stuffed and audiopilot, surround and linear are left on by default. I turn the bass to 3+ for the XM and leave fader and balance neutral.(Mostly listen to smooth jazz and light rock aka The Bridge) With these settings I think the XM sounds great but that's just my opinion. As you might gather I'm very happy with all these features and would order again. :cheers:

PS: XM Canada is about $15/month

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a bummer--I'd like XM but don't want to get the pricey PCM, guess I'll have to do w/out. I'm going to get the aux. input option (cheap and you can atleast play an ipod through the sound system) and I'm guessing the base cd player will play mp3 decoded cd's so that should help as well

·
Registered
172 Posts
Apologies on hijacking the thread but thought I would ask here rather than starting a new one.

Where is the OEM XM/Nav antenna on a Boxster?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is located in the middle of the clam shell as a small turtle shaped pod. Yes, this is an accurate description, but if you aren't familiar with the boxster then not too helpful... :).

Just above the third brake light:

·
Registered
172 Posts
It is located in the middle of the clam shell as a small turtle shaped pod. Yes, this is an accurate description, but if you aren't familiar with the boxster then not too helpful... :).

Just above the third brake light:

Thank you for the info.

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
How is reception with the xm? Mine is terrible! It goes in and out quite a bit and even gets some static from time to time
I've got serius in my other vehicle and the only time I loose reception is under a bridge or in a parking garage. The xm drops out in the shadow of a tree! Is this how xm is or is there a problem with my unit or antenna?

·
Registered
874 Posts
That's a bummer--I'd like XM but don't want to get the pricey PCM, guess I'll have to do w/out. I'm going to get the aux. input option (cheap and you can atleast play an ipod through the sound system) and I'm guessing the base cd player will play mp3 decoded cd's so that should help as well
On Gen 1 cars (PCM 2.1) it is possible to add the Cayenne XM unit and place the antenna under the wiper cowling. It works quite well. I do not know if a similar effort could be accomplished with the current PCM units.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do occasionally lose the signal driving on roads with trees overhanging the lane. But outside of that and driving under bridges it has not been a problem.

·
PCA member since 1998
295 Posts
On Gen 1 cars (PCM 2.1) it is possible to add the Cayenne XM unit and place the antenna under the wiper cowling. It works quite well. I do not know if a similar effort could be accomplished with the current PCM units.
My 06 CS came with one of these. The reception is not great where I live - cuts out from time to time, but the sound quality is pretty good. Not sure if I'll re-subscribe...

·
Northeast Member
747 Posts
My reception is actually getting worse. I am actually getting static on some of the channels now. I've never heard static on my Sirius radios. I wonder if it an antenna or head issue...I guess I'll have to get it in to the dealership.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts