Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came up in the waiters club and I found it amusing enough to explore.

Does anyone here have a car twin that they know of? Do any of you know of any other member with the exact same car?

The closest to what mine will be would be MJC, but they're different enough to hardly be twins.

Does anyone have an exact match to someone else? Any groups of more than two?

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
Years ago, when the Boxster first came out, I ordered one from the factory. About a month before mine was supposed to come in I was driving around my neighborhood and saw the exact same car that I had ordered sitting at my neighbor's house. :( I went to the dealership the next day and bought a car off the lot. Someone else got my order. I didn't want a car twin in my very own neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Freakier than a twin would be one from an alternate "reverse" universe. I parked a couple of months ago behind a GTS that was white exterior to my black, cocoa interior to my black, Sport Design wheel to my multi-function, PDK to my six-speed, 18-way seats to my Sport Buckets, white gauges to my black, clear tail-lights to my reds. Both had Aerokit Cup spoilers though, and to a casual observer would have appeared to be "the same car, different color." From my perspective the white GTS so configured was completely undesirable; I'm sure the other owner would have said the same about mine. That's one of the great thing about Porsches...I can have my car exactly the way I want, and another owner can have a car that is fundamentally a different vehicle and is exactly what he/she wants.

image.jpg

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ummm...probably not.

·
Revhead
366 Posts
P-car, no. But my MX-5, despite being an uncommon color that was only offered for one year, has two twins here in Austin.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well Wild Weasel I feel like our cars are related on some level. Also it seems I'm building a fleet of white / black cars. My current "hold me over till the GTS arrives" vehicle is a white 89 YJ Jeep Wrangler.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Wild Weasel I feel like our cars are related on some level. Also it seems I'm building a fleet of white / black cars. My current "hold me over till the GTS arrives" vehicle is a white 89 YJ Jeep Wrangler.
Funny. Did I mention somewhere here that I might get a Wrangler next year? :D

If nothing else, you're my trim-twin. There seems to be no other.

Incidentally... as I think about it... Subshooter may be closer to my twin than MJC. He's got black rollbars, and those make for a significant appearance difference. Moreso than the shapes of the bumpers.

It seems fitting, as he was pretty influential in my choices.

Reactions: subshooter

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Funny. Did I mention somewhere here that I might get a Wrangler next year? :D

If nothing else, you're my trim-twin. There seems to be no other.

Incidentally... as I think about it... Subshooter may be closer to my twin than MJC. He's got black rollbars, and those make for a significant appearance difference. Moreso than the shapes of the bumpers.

It seems fitting, as he was pretty influential in my choices.
But I also have the Cayman S wheels....I doubt there will be a twin of my car. It's unique.:)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But I also have the Cayman S wheels....I doubt there will be a twin of my car. It's unique.:)
Yeah... I expect this to be the case with most members. That's why I thought it might be an interesting discussion.

For custom orders, considering the number of options involved, it seems like twins would be pretty rare. For off-the-lot cars though, I'll bet there are a bunch of fairly standard configs that they order so the chances of a match are much higher.

I fully expect mine to be one-of-a-kind. :D

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Given that there are:
2 model choices (Boxster vs Cayman)
3 trimlines (base, S, GTS)
16 exterior colors
9 interior colors
5 wheel choices
4 seat choices
3 steering wheel choices
2 transmission choices
4 (at least) common audio choices
3 suspension choices
3 "package choices" (convenience, premium, or neither)
and 5 other common options to be included or not (PSE, model delete, Porsche colored wheel caps, infotainment, PTV)...

that's a total of 119,439,360 possible combinations right there. And that's not including a bunch of less common choices, all the little "personalized" options like colored seat belts and leather doodads, Z-options, etc.

I'm not losing any sleep about someone having my car's twin. The odds of that are astronomical. Porsche will discontinue the 981 well before they make 119 million of them.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Given I am probably the only 981 Boxster S with yellow stitching (at least the only 2013), I doubt there is an identical twin. However, there are a few racing yellow 981 Boxster base and S in the area, including someone living about a mile from me, who bought her S on launch from the dealer, and even painted her roll hoops yellow after she saw mine. So it besides the wheels it is basically my twin :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
My current Cayman as an exact twin! My previous Cayman!
As the first car had a problem with the PDK, Porsche agreed to build a new one for me, and I ordered it exactly the same way. The first one, after receiving a new gearbox, is for sale at a very attractive price at the Porsche centre in my home town. Actually, if I could spare the money, I would buy it for my brother, who is a huge Porsche fan and a hell of a driver.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Given that there are:
2 model choices (Boxster vs Cayman)
3 trimlines (base, S, GTS)
16 exterior colors
9 interior colors
5 wheel choices
4 seat choices
3 steering wheel choices
2 transmission choices
4 (at least) common audio choices
3 suspension choices
3 "package choices" (convenience, premium, or neither)
and 5 other common options to be included or not (PSE, model delete, Porsche colored wheel caps, infotainment, PTV)...

that's a total of 119,439,360 possible combinations right there. And that's not including a bunch of less common choices, all the little "personalized" options like colored seat belts and leather doodads, Z-options, etc.

I'm not losing any sleep about someone having my car's twin. The odds of that are astronomical. Porsche will discontinue the 981 well before they make 119 million of them.
Well said KCZ.:hilarious:

Also same math sounds like an excuse for DC, etc. gridlock. Ugh!

:cheers:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice. So the chances of a DNA match are pretty slim... so I guess we're looking for siblings? :D

As the first car had a problem with the PDK, Porsche agreed to build a new one for me, and I ordered it exactly the same way. The first one, after receiving a new gearbox, is for sale at a very attractive price at the Porsche centre in my home town. Actually, if I could spare the money, I would buy it for my brother, who is a huge Porsche fan and a hell of a driver.
There we go! First one!! :D

I still expect there to be quite a few cars in sort of standard-ordered configs bought off lots.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Is he your TWIN brother perhaps? :naughty:

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 997.2 targa 4s was gt silver wouldn't you know it there was another one just down the street (saw it for the first time when my car was being shipped to me). He had a different interior color and different wheels but with the limited numbers of targas I did find it close enough. I did some research and I took comfort in knowing mine had an Msrp 5k higher.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Member shawnsun and I have an exact match. Looking back at an old "CAYMAN BLACK EDITION THREAD", I noted that our Cayman S Black Edition's had the exact specs. There're 500 Black Editions worldwide, so other exact matches might be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnsun View Post
Proud owner 289. Just got it with new title from the Bay Area (executive demo with 3,500m). So I guess I'm considered as the first owner?

Drove 500 miles from San Diego, CA to get the car, and drove back at the same day!!! Total 14 hours drive!

Spec:
6-speed manual transmission
342 - Multi-StageHeatingSystem-Front
541 - Ventilated Seats in Front
640 - Sport Chronoicon Package Plus

EXACT specs as my #384. Bought her new from Pacific Porsche in Torrance, CA. in Jan. '12. Sticker was $70,735. Welcome and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts