Votes: 28 66.7%
  • Boxster Spyder

Votes: 14 33.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Boxster Spyder seems to have a cult following around here. I'm curious how many people prefer roofless versus roof+wing, given the options will be similar between the two cars (sport bucket seats).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm taking whatever I can get. I expect I'll end up getting a Spyder simply because I get an allocation (losing confidence on that front with GT4). Though if the GT4 pops first, I'll take the GT4 since I'd prefer it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another option should be one of each. That would be my choice.

williamr
Prioritize. One is more important than the other.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
The advantages the Spyder has over the GT4 IMO:
1) no over the top rear wing.
2) higher ground clearance and more comfy on the roads.
3) better looking colored side vents
4) overall better looking than the GT4
5) it's the right choice for those who don't track the car.

I personally loved the 987 Spyder and now the 981 Spyder is even miles better.

However, I think I prefer the GTS front bumper more than the Spyder's.

Reactions: Finally @ 57

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Folks who are going to track will stay with the GT4, people who don't track would move to the Spyder.

If it wasn't because I like to track my P-cars I would order a Spyder in a heartbeat, it would be a no brainier for me given that I am a past 987.1 Boxster S owner.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The advantages the Spyder has over the GT4 IMO:
1) no over the top rear wing.
2) higher ground clearance and more comfy on the roads.
3) better looking colored side vents
4) overall better looking than the GT4
5) it's the right choice for those who don't track the car.

I personally loved the 987 Spyder and now the 981 Spyder is even miles better.

However, I think I prefer the GTS front bumper more than the Spyder's.
I actually think the rear decklid on the Spyder is more aggressive/showy than the wing on the GT4. Lots of cars have spoilers. Only a few supercars have that Spyder/Sportster look.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Are we are comparing F1 to driving a GT4 or a Spyder? Give me an F1 car and a Helmet and I am All In!!!!

I wish I would of had a Cayman

Sincerely, James Dean

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Since I already have a Boxster 981S and like the ability to close the roof in 9s if rain is showing up (I have heard that Seattle is famous for that ;) ), I will keep my GT4 allocation to get the better suspension bits, better track handling (not that the Spyder would be a bad car [1]) and the 3.8l motor experience.

If I did not have a Boxster already, I would be tempted to get both (the spec price of the options I would like to have to enjoy the Spyder as my DD would put it into the same territory as my GT4 spec).

[1] Two guys on the GT4 facebook page considered the Spyder too "girly"... Well, I applaud the women who drive them as I do the men :cheers:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Who is changing their GT4 order to a Boxster Spyder order?
[x] Those that doubted and mocked the 3.8 endowed spyder's existence.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since I already have a Boxster 981S and like the ability to close the roof in 9s if rain is showing up (I have heard that Seattle is famous for that ;) ), I will keep my GT4 allocation to get the better suspension bits, better track handling (not that the Spyder would be a bad car [1]) and the 3.8l motor experience.

If I did not have a Boxster already, I would be tempted to get both (the spec price of the options I would like to have to enjoy the Spyder as my DD would put it into the same territory as my GT4 spec).

[1] Two guys on the GT4 facebook page considered the Spyder too "girly"... Well, I applaud the women who drive them as I do the men :cheers:
I feel exactly the same way. I see very few ladies in the drivers seats of Boxsters, I actually saw a lady last night in a Guards Red 987, gave her a wave and she saw me and gave me the stranger danger 'look away'. I could care less about what other people think, girl car, boy car, dog car, whatever, I laugh out loud in the twisters in my car, that make s me happy! Hopefully some people ahead of me in the GT4 Queue switch out their orders so I can get my GT4 sooner!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I feel exactly the same way. I see very few ladies in the drivers seats of Boxsters, I actually saw a lady last night in a Guards Red 987, gave her a wave and she saw me and gave me the stranger danger 'look away'. I could care less about what other people think, girl car, boy car, dog car, whatever, I laugh out loud in the twisters in my car, that make s me happy! Hopefully some people ahead of me in the GT4 Queue switch out their orders so I can get my GT4 sooner!
I'm glad I am not the only one who gets that stare back. lol. It's even worse if you wave to a Cayenne becasue they have no clue about the Porsche wave at all. Even the guys who are driving that car give you that look back. The cool ones are the folks driving the older 911s. You get a Porsche wave and a headlight flash to boot.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The Boxster Spyder open top has to appeal to some here. ..

Come on folks, drop your GT4 slot for a Spyder!! I NEED a GT4 slot!!

Can't handle the sun and wind of the Boxster anymore. If I can't get a GT4 within a couple of years, before Porsches become Apple apps that drive themselves with quiet electric motors, I'll stay with my CS and install the 3.8/X73/LSD/3rd Radiator/big steel brakes and some other goodies. Still thinking about the 4.41 ratio

1 - 17 of 17 Posts