Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
As I dropped my wife's car off at a Firestone form an alignment and new tires (bought on tire rack, as they are an authorized installer), I wondered, would I do the same with my 2015 CS I am awaiting? do I drop off the rims, or do I let the tire guy drive it into the bay, or do I trust the mechanic, like I would at the Porsche dealer?(but I assume cost way more?)

I cant be the only one wondering this? By the way, Firestone did a great job all around).

thanks, Dave

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Hi,
As I dropped my wife's car off at a Firestone form an alignment and new tires (bought on tire rack, as they are an authorized installer), I wondered, would I do the same with my 2015 CS I am awaiting? do I drop off the rims, or do I let the tire guy drive it into the bay, or do I trust the mechanic, like I would at the Porsche dealer?(but I assume cost way more?)

I cant be the only one wondering this? By the way, Firestone did a great job all around).

thanks, Dave
I have not done it yet but there I no way I am taking my Porsche to the dealer to get the tires replaced. It's not that tough. Same thing with the oil change. I'm not paying three times the cost for no difference in results. It's not as if I need a Porsche certified tech to do these basic maintenance items. It's not Porsche specific except for the torque specs for the lugs, oil filter, and drain plug. I just hand them the specs.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
You wouldn't believe the place- Just a hole in the wall old house with a covered work area behind In the shadow of the Interstate. He sells wheels and tires but doesn't stock them. Interestingly he does a GREAT job balancing and is careful with wheels and has never scratched one. I always buy my own tires at Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct, remove my wheels at home and just take him the tires and wheels with my track tire trailer. He charges me $80 to mount and balance and dispose of the old tires.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I'm fortunate in that my local Porsche Indy is also a Tire Rack certified installer, including touchless mounting and Road Force Balancing if desired. They do great work, including noting any and all wheel flaws before they touch the car. That way they never get blamed for something they didn't do, not that they ever do any damage, and I really do appreciate them. If anyone from the western suburbs of Philadelphia is interested, pm me and I'll share their contact info.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I need to find a good place for this also. I've always had good luck with discount tire, but I'd prefer a more specialized place, and definitely road force balancing.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I got recommendations for a local installer from car guys I know, they recommend a shop in town called "Custom Alignment". The do really good work and I use them for all my alignment and suspension needs now.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
.............Tire Rack certified installer, including touchless mounting and.............
"Touchless Mounting" ??? What??? Does Harry Potter do it? Does it involve telekinesis? What magical mystery are you describing???? I HAVE TO KNOW!!!!

I use a local Discount Tire for all my stuff. They have been fantastic to work with and are VERY careful with/around my cars. (But they do actually TOUCH the wheels when mounting them. Sorry.)

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
"Touchless Mounting" ??? What??? Does Harry Potter do it? Does it involve telekinesis? What magical mystery are you describing???? I HAVE TO KNOW!!!!

I use a local Discount Tire for all my stuff. They have been fantastic to work with and are VERY careful with/around my cars. (But they do actually TOUCH the wheels when mounting them. Sorry.)
Unless a tech gets sloppy, any tire shop should be able to mount a tire without scratching a wheel. As far as touchless is concerned, it probably refers to the fact that it is an automated process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLGvo1Zg_1E

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Try googling it and don't be such a wise guy when you have no idea what you are talking about.:cheers:

·
Registered
492 Posts
who mounts ur tires?
A local, highly recommended independent who specializes in performance vehicles and is a Tire Rack installer. We use his shop for all our vehicles -- even the Lexus hybrid crossover (and our Nissan crossover when we had it).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have mine done at a near by high end bodyshop that specializes in Lambo's and Ferrari's, so I've never had any concerns.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm fortunate in that my local Porsche Indy is also a Tire Rack certified installer, including touchless mounting and Road Force Balancing if desired. They do great work, including noting any and all wheel flaws before they touch the car. That way they never get blamed for something they didn't do, not that they ever do any damage, and I really do appreciate them. If anyone from the western suburbs of Philadelphia is interested, pm me and I'll share their contact info.:cheers:
My Indy does identical service and I have used him for years. Only difference between yours and mine is my location. Central Connecticut here, pm me and I will share contact info.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've started using an independent mobile tire shop. He brings his shop to my house and does mounting/balancing/changing for $20/wheel. I watched him like a hawk the first time, but by the 3rd time I'm pretty comfortable with his work. Best thing, he arranges appointments to my schedule.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use my indy. I have had it with Discount Tire. They have boogered up 3 rims on my BMW. And that is with me being very careful to have the salesman come out to my car for a pre-installation inspection to see there is no damage. Being very nice and saying please put your best man and machine on this job. And I usually get the "Yes sir, not a problem, we have the best technicians and machines in the business." And then going out for a post installation inspection only to see that they have nicked them. Which results in a sheepish: "Sorry sir, we'll get them fixed." Which then requires me to drive around on a doughnut spare while they spend a week sending the rim off to their repair shop and me having to make a trip back for reinstallation. I've switched to Tire Rack and installation by my indy.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The last time I went to a full service garage, the tire guy, who is typically the lowest paid and lowest skilled, didn’t notice some nylon guide was missing so at the first turn of the wheel, there was a groove cut halfway around the rim. I go now to a store that sells wheels and will mount my tires. They have up-to-date mounting and balancing machines and know enough to not scratch a wheel.

As for alignments, I bite my lip and go the the dealer. Most shops can't keep up with all the new cars and new alignment specs so they only update their units every other year or even longer. I would ask to see the car listed in the alignment computer if going to some place other than the dealer.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Assuming you get your tires from the Tire Rack like lots of us, they'll give you the closest installers they have an agreement with. They will also mail the tires TO THAT INSTALLER if you wish, so you don't have to lug them yourself.

They only deal with installers who agree to Tire Rack's stipulated charges for mounting, balancing, disposal of old rubber, replacing valve stems, etc. so you shouldn't have over pay. I've never had a problem with wheels getting dinged when doing this, but I do check for the extent of pre-installation curb rash, show it to the installer, ask him if he sees anything I don't, and then make it politely clear that anything else that occurs would be on him. Again, never a problem. Of course the final step is to check for additional curb rash before paying.

Best to tell them what tire pressures YOU want them to use. Otherwise, that has been a small, but annoying problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
(a) Tires rack if tires and wheels ordered together.
(b) There's a shop two blocks from my home owned by a guy you might have seen on PBS television; if there are tires to be mounted on existing wheels, I have them sent there.
(c) What I will never do again, is squat on the basement floor on a blanket with tire irons and a rubber mallet, and mount them myself - I always managed to draw blood doing that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts