Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

whos your insurer for your porsche

9K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  The Goonfather 
#1 ·
Hi guys....my cayman will hopefully be here in a few days...just a quick question...who do u go with interms of car insurance

thanks in advance

#12 ·
You do realize the OP is located in Australia where USAA doesn't exist, right?

#8 ·
Thanks guys.... in the process of deciding who to go for...got quotes from porsche and RACQ...which RACQ was about 200 bucks cheaper

4by4...could you tell me which is prestige?? I cant seem to find it online..

Capercat...am in BNE...just a base cayman pdk white with black boxster s wheels..picking up sometime next wk

now the other question left is....clear bra or not.....ummmmm decisions decisions....http://www.planet-9.com/members/capercat-11670.html

#18 · (Edited)
Hi Guys;
I'm a new Aussie Porsche owner to be, I've ordered a new Boxter and was told this week it has been built and should be here by Dec. It's my first Porsche and I'm trying to come to grips with the Porsche world.

My current choice for insurer is Porsche, underwritten by Calliden Insurance Ltd which comes in at $2.5k. I'm 38 with a spotless record (last 5 yrs anyway). How does this stack up and is there anyone with experience dealing with Calliden Insurance Ltd?

Aussie relevant would be nice :D

#22 ·
Can't say i've had any personal experience dealing with Calliden group. However it appears that the 'Dawes' is the subsidiary that looks after Calliden group car insurance.
On page 3 of the PDS
(http://www.dawes.com.au/resources/68/Dawes_FSG_1210.pdf)
It says that the referring company is getting a pretty good commission (around 10% but up to 25%). To me that's enough to distrust the dealers 'recommendation' and look around.

I've found there is some large differences in premiums prices between insurers. I'm 24, no incidents and live in the Inner West of Sydney (which isn't great insurance wise), but i've had quotes from 3.5-9K for an 06 Cayman S. NRMA gave me the 3.5K quote with a 2K excess.
Most just say 'sorry we can't insure you', but i suspect that has more to do with my risk profile than the car. :(

My Dad has a 06 Boxster S, no incidents, lives in a regional area and switched from AAMI (about $1600 PA when new) to Alliance (around 1K) mind you the car was probably worth 70K ish when he switched rather than the 130K new.

Luckily for me i don't have any reviews on their customer service and helpfulness when trying to get them to pay for something.

I'd say look around, especially if it is a 2nd car (a lot of the mainstream insures don't seem to take that into account).

#20 ·
I use USAA, had them since high school since Dad is a West Pointer. Six month premium on the Boxster is $285 in Virginia with full converage. I think that is a great deal! They have always been helpful and even work with my favorite body shop, Wagon Work (specialize in Porsches and they do fantastic work).

#24 ·
Thought I would dust this off again as my car is delivered on 20th December.

Who currently insures your Cayman/Boxter in Australia ?
I had a qote from Porsche insurance on daily drive vs limited. Not much in it between them. Quote was around $2500

How does this stack up ?

#27 ·
Just bought mine - Cayman S 2006, value 63k. AAMI insured for $1578 with windshield and extra rental cover.

#30 ·
I went with Shannons after much searching. $1300 a year bundled with a policy for my Land Rover Defender. (Defender $450 extra) About the same as the Porsche insurance, but got a cheaper rate on the Defender. No extra charge to pay by month, which is what I have gone for. Suncorp has a good rate also, but higher deductable. Make sure you look at all possibilities in Aus, as they very greatly. Shannons is more expensive for my 2015 BMW 330i, so will go with Suncorp with that one.

Cheers,

Ken

#31 ·
Well I thought Shannon's who have looked after my in the past with all my other cars, were ripping me off at just over $1000 to insure my 2007 Cayman S.

Looking through this thread, it now seems quite reasonable.

Car was purchased for mid $50k's and have it insured on limited use, and is 1 of 4 cars I have insured with them and no claims or infringements.

Why I thought I was getting ripped off, was because when I purchased a near new 350Z a few years back, at a similar value, the insurance was only about $750 from memory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.