Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, this is a rhetorical question and is asked in fun. I am scouring Cars.com, autotrader.com, Porsche.com, EBay, etc in the search for a nice pre-owned CS. Preferably a 987.2, but would look at a 2007 or 2008 as well. Also, should be Guards Red, but possibly silver or white with 6MT. But of all things I Do Not want a plain old black interior. Every manufacturer out there offers black interiors and everybody seems to have one. Porsche offers some truly amazing interior colors (Red, Terracota, Cocoa, Sandy Beige, etc) that are not offered by other manufactures. I am truly surprised why the vast majority of buyers choose plain old black. So, by the time I filter Cars.com to search for Cayman S, Guards Red, Manual Transmission, with interior anything other than Black, there are only about 3 cars left - and that is 2006-2012. Amazing.

So, what is the attraction to Black interiors? Am I missing something? Are people afraid of color, kinda like when everyone paints their interior house walls white because it is a "safe" choice?

Just curious, as I have always wondered this. I owned a 1991 Nissan 300ZX with Red interior and loved it. It just stood out from everyone else's 300ZX.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Classy, looks good with naked women on it, cleans and wears well.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
So, what is the attraction to Black interiors? Am I missing something?
There are several classic Porsche color cominations. Off the top of my head, there is Silver GT and Carrera Red Interior. Or Guards Red with Luxor.

But you are right. The world has moving to boring interiors. Back in the day I had interiors in blue and I love red interiors. But black doesn't show dirt. For that matter, most of the cars are, IMO, boring silvers, greys and white. A proper sports car is red, black, white, or yellow, unless in you live in England, then its green. Then again, Silver GT is the German racing color.

·
Noob
843 Posts
I think blacks / dark greys contrast well with a bright exterior like red / yellow / white.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Black dash does not cause bad reflections on the windshield like many of the light colors. I had sand beige on my last Boxster and swore never again. I guess you can do two tone and get around this problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ordered black because it goes well with yellow & the car already as black exterior trim parts. Considered beige, but figured it would show dirt too easily. Red was ruled out as it clashes with my strawberry blonde hair.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
There are several classic Porsche color cominations. Off the top of my head, there is Silver GT and Carrera Red Interior. Or Guards Red with Luxor.

But you are right. The world has moving to boring interiors. Back in the day I had interiors in blue and I love red interiors. But black doesn't show dirt. For that matter, most of the cars are, IMO, boring silvers, greys and white. A proper sports car is red, black, white, or yellow, unless in you live in England, then its green. Then again, Silver GT is the German racing color.
Well wild weasel and I just commissioned the next classic Porsche color combo! :)

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Porsche drives some of the black choice by their pricing structure. The monochromatic color choices like black, red and beige are lower cost options. The two tone color choices (to get a black dash) cost considerably more. In my case I spent all my money on other Porsche options but I could not help myself and got deviated red stiching. Porsche got much more out of me than I wanted to spend but I loved every minute and don't regret one choice I made.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
There's lot of black plastic in a stock interior. Choose another color and you have to spend many thousands--maybe 10--to get rid of it with options like leather PCM surround. Black plastic doesn't look as bad with a black or part black interior.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I wouldn't - under any circumstances - consider buying a car with an interior color other than black. Black ages better than other colors because it doesn't show dirt or grime, is more easily repaired if needed, replacement interior parts are more likely to match, and it goes with any exterior color.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Well wild weasel and I just commissioned the next classic Porsche color combo! :)
Yep. This. I'm still amused that the new configurator gives suggestions on what works best and that ours isn't recommended. *sigh*

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
one of the reasons I purchased my Boxster was the color combo
Now that's what I'm talking about! Very nice indeed. In general I agree with chows4us above regarding silver, gray and white...kinda ho hum. But man o' man, throw a red interior in a silver car and Pow! Sexy! Thanks for the pic Americo11, you may have opened up a new possibility for me.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Color options add another $2-4K and are all leather (higher maintenance). Harder to find a like person to sell to. I had found a Carrara White with Cocoa full leather and was seriously considering it but came to the conclusion that I would get tired of all that brown. Solid black doesn't bother me. I also had a silver S4 with white interior and that was a big mistake.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
A lot of the other colors don't look very nice from Porsche. Black has the least reflection on the dashboard as well.

I actually came across a few cars with non-black interiors and found them pretty weird for my own taste. I find Mercedes etc make nicer non-black interior than Porsche does. I actually wanted to keep the interior color black while shopping for car. Just my personal preference.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I'm still amused that the new configurator gives suggestions on what works best and that ours isn't recommended. *sigh*
Most likely because the split color is to have less reflections off the windshield and to some people looks a bit strange as the eye doesn't flow smoothly across the interior.

You all got some full interior shots with a wide angle lens?

Now that's what I'm talking about! Very nice indeed. In general I agree with chows4us above regarding silver, gray and white...kinda ho hum. But man o' man, throw a red interior in a silver car and Pow! Sexy! Thanks for the pic Americo11, you may have opened up a new possibility for me.
And that is very close to what I said is classic Porsche. Arctic Silver is close, but not quite, GT Silver. Classic James Dean 550 Spyder haunted car color:) See http://jalopnik.com/5113390/the-curse-of-james-deans-little-bastard

·
Registered
32 Posts
I struggled with this myself as I really wanted to offset my Sapphire Blue exterior choice with a warm coloured leather interior like a saddle brown or cinnamon that were more common in older Porsches and BMWs. The amber was the closest to what I imagined but, for my taste, it leaned a bit too far into the orange spectrum. I guess I was looking for a more natural look. In particular, I found that the plastic bits in Amber looked particularly "plasticky" (for lack of a better term). I also found that while the agate leather looks nice on its own, introducing yet another colour to the amber, basic black interior parts, and bright metallic trim created too much visual clutter especially when viewed with a real "colour" like Sapphire Blue. I think the amber/agate combination works very well with an Agate or White exterior (maybe even Dark Blue Metallic) but, again for my tastes, was too busy with the Sapphire Blue.

I also considered how the interior would wear over time (I plan to keep the CS for well over 10 years) and unfortunately black always wins out in this argument.

These are simply my personal thoughts and others may disagree entirely. Colour is so subjective and there is no right answer.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Porsche drives some of the black choice by their pricing structure. The monochromatic color choices like black, red and beige are lower cost options. The two tone color choices (to get a black dash) cost considerably more. In my case I spent all my money on other Porsche options but I could not help myself and got deviated red stiching. Porsche got much more out of me than I wanted to spend but I loved every minute and don't regret one choice I made.
Yes, two tone interiors cost more but so does red. Red is not one of the lower cost options. I wish it were. If you get red it has to be in leather and leather is an added expense. My first Porsche (see avatar) was white with a red interior albeit vinyl. I would love to have another white car with a red interior. :(

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Most likely because the split color is to have less reflections off the windshield and to some people looks a bit strange as the eye doesn't flow smoothly across the interior.

You all got some full interior shots with a wide angle lens?
I never thought of it as being simply a practical compromise of any sort. I think that the two-tone look with the deviated stitching adds a really classy look. I don't only like the effect across the dash. I massively prefer the look of the black on the front of the roll bars as opposed to the luxor beige. To me, the beige just seems out of place up there.

I honestly think that if anyone thinks they want the full leather Luxor Beige interior, what they REALLY want is two-tone Black/Luxor, whether they realize it or not. I think it's just better in every way.

I understand the reservations when it comes to any of the other two-tone interiors, as there's some issue with plastic pieces not matching with the Agate Grey that they use, but the Black/Luxor is a no-brainer. There's just no downside, and the price premium is negligible in the overall scheme of things.

Reactions: Al_in_SB
1 - 20 of 128 Posts