Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2014 Cayman S over a month ago 12,700,miles Agate Gray black interior all the right options in my mind. Nice wheels I believe Carrera Classics with background paint matching car color, sports chrono, PASM, PSE, Bose,PDK, Premium plus, ventilated seats, etc. Paid $56k. Transferred the CPO to me too, good until sometime in 2019.

I love this car.

This checks off something on my bucket list had a couple of 914-4's earlier in my life always wanted a 914-6(drove one once was that 6 cylinder very sweet), did well in the market in 2006 bought a slightly used highly optioned 997S.
During the the ownership period of the 997 I test drove a 987.2 S for someone else. I liked the handling better than the 997S.
Sold the 997 S 5 or 6 years ago with the idea of eventually buying a Cayman which I finally did.

I surely could have bought a nice used 914-6 but I like all the modern conveniences like good AC. Lol

Couple of thoughts I could have afforded a new 718 or a 981 GTS. 987.2's are not all that available and not that much less expensive than a nice 981 IMO or for my wallet. Ventilated seats are a must have for me and seems like a rare option for a GTS. I just didn't see the premium price that Used GTS's get.

On the 718 didn't like the sound wanted a 6. I recently bought and sold a 2015 VW Golf R which is a great car. But every time I drove it I wished it was a 6. The low end torque was great like the 718 but I felt at some point I was going to get a ticket, not that I won't with the 981. (I have already been pulled over once though he accused me of speeding I didn't get a ticket. I was being passed by others and due to WAZE and V1 I knew he was around. simple harrasment because it was Porsche IMO)

The 981 is just as much fun driving it slow as it is driving it fast. I have put about 1500 miles on it.

I may eventually do a DE but not sure, I did the 2 day Porsche school at Barbers and it was great.

PDK versus manual. I grew up driving manuals my first car was a 59 VW. I think the PDK is the absolute best of both worlds unless you are in love with a clutch pedal. I find myself driving it in manual allot and think it is great. PDK shifts never upset the chassis like a manual can and does. I like this PDK allot much better than the Golf R really like the 7th speed except for the drone which I have mostly solved. See my comments in the DIY section.

There are faster cars possibly better handling cars but for street driving this car is 99% as good as anything else out there. So bottom line I very happy with this for 56 versus a 718 or 911 at much higher price points. My car listed for a little under $88k new.

Planned upgrades x73 sway bars front and rear on order then a center radiator. Later engine software and headers possibly an IPD plenum.

On the x73 swaybars the Spring rates between PASM and x73 are very close the sway bars IMO will actually increase the stiffness slightly. Didn't want the Lower ride height due to the hills and driveways in Birmingham, Al. Like the adjustability of PASM may add a new control box later.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My upgrade path was this: Better tires. Now on PSSs; next would be their successor, the P4S or something like that. Second, racing pads. I use PF 08s, Next, ECU decryption and re-mapping. (These were two separated efforts and the benefit was more from the torque increase rather than the added hp.) X73 swaybar in rear - not expensive. GT3 swaybar in front - requires a fair amount of shop labor. ($)

Never had any problems with overheating (exc. brakes b/c I track it.) Not sure why you want the better plenum.

My next upgrade would be to R-compounds and that would about do it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree on the P4S consider that normal maintenance. The plenum I am on the fence. I actually did the plenum, x51 air box, headers, exhaust, and ECU on my 997S and I liked the result. More torque and HP especially in the mid range which is what I would be after with 981.

I know common thought is the GT3 bar on the front but I will stick with what the Porsche Engineers did with the 981 and go X73. I can install myself and get an alignment at the shop.

For my intended purposes stock pads should be good but I appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The best upgrade for the money for your car is a Cobb Accessport with a Pro-Tune by Fab Speed. For $1600 you'll add 30+ HP to your car and have a smoother acceleration.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The best upgrade for the money for your car is a Cobb Accessport with a Pro-Tune by Fab Speed. For $1600 you'll add 30+ HP to your car and have a smoother acceleration.

I noticed you have AP sport headers. Are you satisfied with the quality?

·
Registered
779 Posts

The best upgrade for the money is headers with 200 cell cats in my opinion. That had noticeable mid-range improvement, but the tune didn't seems to do nearly as much. Mind you, if I had done them in the reverse order I might be saying the opposite -- I don't know. But the headers gave the performance improvement and gave it a nice sound, too.

·
Registered
645 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is definitely diminishing returns on aftermarket add one. I would think everyone knows headers that add 20 HP, plenum that adds 20, software that adds 35, air filters that add 5, exhaust that adds 8 etc will not in the real world add up to a 88 HP increase on a NA engine.

On my 997S I did the all of the above then the software last. My butt feeling as I never put the car on a dyno was the software pulled all the mods the together and car was more fun.

The best bang for your buck in software is with turbocharged cars.

Also non GTS cars have more to gain from software then the GTS cars as we all know Porsche put the same engine in the 911 and the 981 just destuned the 981 with software.

All that being said your comment about the headers making most of the difference makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
779 Posts
There is definitely diminishing returns on aftermarket add one. I would think everyone knows headers that add 20 HP, plenum that adds 20, software that adds 35, air filters that add 5, exhaust that adds 8 etc will not in the real world add up to a 88 HP increase on a NA engine.

On my 997S I did the all of the above then the software last. My butt feeling as I never put the car on a dyno was the software pulled all the mods the together and car was more fun.

The best bang for your buck in software is with turbocharged cars.

Also non GTS cars have more to gain from software then the GTS cars as we all know Porsche put the same engine in the 911 and the 981 just destuned the 981 with software.

All that being said your comment about the headers making most of the difference makes perfect sense.

Yes, I remember vividly as a boy adding the 10% gain from a header and 10% from a weber and then 5% from an anza exhaust and thinking that my 1967 BMW 1600 would have well over 100bhp, but alas.....

The headers make the most sense to me and -- importantly -- are completely reversible without a trace. In hind-sight I would not both with the tune, leaving the less-than-optimal factory tune, but better than anything factory warranty. The latter just wasn't worth the money invested and (granted slight) risk involved. But that's me....

Think about a GT4 steering wheel. They're great and you touch it all the time, unlike headers or tunes.....

·
Registered
87 Posts

The headers make the most sense to me and -- importantly -- are completely reversible without a trace...
Understand about the headers being completely reversible without a trace, but practically speaking, as a CPO owner, wouldn't a tune be more easily reversed should I need to bring the car in for a warranty repair?

I'd def do headers once the warranty ran out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Understand about the headers being completely reversible without a trace, but practically speaking, as a CPO owner, wouldn't a tune be more easily reversed should I need to bring the car in for a warranty repair?

Yes, with the Cobb Accessport you can go right back to the factory tuning map in a matter of minutes, swapping back the stock headers might take you a few hours. Unlike the headers which can cause a O2 sensor check engine light, the tuner also allows you to run a diagnostic of any check engine lights but won't cause one of it's own.
Also, it must be pointed out that the Fab Speed catted headers cost twice as much as the Cobb tuner for the same similar performance return.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Yes, that was my upgrade path. I did a tune first, and I would flash the ECU back to factory settings before each service interval. Now that I'm over 50k miles, I have the IPD Plenum, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket headers, bmc air filters, and a fabspeed pro tune.

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While a tune is easily reversed that doesn't mean the dealership won't know the ECU has been changed. This could result in a loss of warranty.

I know for sure in the case of VW's the dealership can tell if the software in the ECU has been changed I assume it is the same with a Porsche.

·
Registered
204 Posts
While a tune is easily reversed that doesn't mean the dealership won't know the ECU has been changed. This could result in a loss of warranty.

I know for sure in the case of VW's the dealership can tell if the software in the ECU has been changed I assume it is the same with a Porsche.
That is correct. Disclaimer: I am not a Porsche tech; but based on my research and experience:
The dealer can see a log of any fault codes that appeared. When you flash the ECU with an Accessport, it takes a couple minutes and cycles through all the fault codes. Assuming you don't have any issues with your car and you're just there for general service, they won't even look at the log. It's kind of like a don't ask, don't tell situation.
Now, in the rare event that your engine malfunctioned and needed to be replaced, this could pose an issue. Apparently they ECU can be sent to Germany, where a complete diagnostic history can be viewed. In this circumstance, your warranty claim could potentially be denied.

In my experience, the everyday enjoyment of the noticeable horsepower gains were worth the minuscule risk of a warranty engine repair getting denied by Porsche.

Reactions: James III

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree it's pay-to-play, and that a proven tune from a responsible shop represents a pretty small risk.

Having just come from the Audi world, I can tell you the primary concern owners had was that none of the tunes, not even the ones that could revert back to your "original" ecu image, could reset the flash counter. It was rumored that if the flash counter was out of sink with the number of revisions made available for your ECU, they'd mark your car "DT1" in the system, which means the software had been modified in an unauthorized way.

I never tuned my S4, but I did run a piggyback for a while. It def made more power by keeping the boost gate closed higher into the RPM bands, but shifts with a DCT transmission were kinda rough. Guys running manuals didn't seem to have many issues.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, that was my upgrade path. I did a tune first, and I would flash the ECU back to factory settings before each service interval. Now that I'm over 50k miles, I have the IPD Plenum, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket headers, bmc air filters, and a fabspeed pro tune.
This sounds like a good plan for upgrades. Where did you notice the biggest gains? With the initial software? Or did each upgrade ratchet things up higher?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The protune gives you 30+hp on a stock Cayman S? Or do you have to swap out headers as well to get the 30+?
Tune alone according to Cobb, FVD, softtronic and the other companies that make a tuning product for the 981's. Headers would add even more power.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The best upgrade for the money is headers with 200 cell cats in my opinion. That had noticeable mid-range improvement, but the tune didn't seems to do nearly as much. Mind you, if I had done them in the reverse order I might be saying the opposite -- I don't know. But the headers gave the performance improvement and gave it a nice sound, too.
totally agree!!! Just installed Fabspeed Sport headers on my 16' CGTS and WOW! what a difference in the low to mid-range with very noticeable seat of pants starting @ 2800 rpm. Oh and the sound, yeah that too!. I'm holding off on a pro-tune for now since the majority of added benefit is above 5500 rpm. Great for the track but if most of your time is spent on the street might be hard to justify the additional $$$. I also have an IPD plenum/throttle body which were installed first and provided a noticeable performance bump on its own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.