Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this is a knock off of K-Man's thread on not ordering, no big deal though, as exactly NO ONE has asked me about ordering the Spyder.

1) The new 4.0L engine is a good bit larger than my 981 BS at 3.4 liters, we're talking roughly 100hp and 50lbs/ft of torque. The higher revs (8k) available just make you smile at 7k to redline. (Win for the 718 Spyder. yeah, my opinion)

2) Price, this is a hidden fact of inflation. The USD is racing against the Euro to see who comes out ahead. (Inflation says that dollars spent later are less costly)

3) Non Limited Run - "GT cars are supposed to be limited runs" .... except the US secondary market ticked off Preuninger and he decided that Porsche should benefit from the market demand, not individual sellers of early cars. (Loss for US customers)

4) Performance - "10 seconds faster around the 'Ring is inconsequential." I believe that the actual quote was, "more than 10 seconds" .... but let's not quibble, I'll take the 10 seconds and apply it to COTA with all the GT3 bits and I should beat my personal best. That's what matters, right?

5) Weight - "Absolutely no reason for the car to gain as much weight as it has" ... hard to argue here except that the GT3 parts are heavier in addition to the bespoke rear suspension. I'm pretty sure that Preuninger would not add weight without cause.

6) Looks - Porsche design is timeless.

7) Missed Opportunity - "In a world where a 4 door Tesla
Model 3 sedan is turning similar performance numbers (and in some cases better) than a GT4", Okay, times may be changing, but my gas powered Porsche is not a time bomb on a charger in my garage, like a Tesla is connected to a charging source in my garage.

Porsche time moves inexorably forward at the rate that they prescribe. Embrace it or reject it, Preuninger and his GT group will do what they will do.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I’ll be ordering one too. Miss my last one and I’m sure it will be a great driving experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You two are among the luckiest guys on the planet! Electric cars are coming true, and they will accelerate strongly. That's life. But nostalgia is powerful. Those Spyders will always invoke wistful feelings among those who gaze upon them, becoming more precious each year they age.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I took 'some' exception to K-Man's post, he sounded more like sour grapes then a thoughtful reply of his reasons, and I do mean HIS reasons as many of us don't share them one bit! But enough of that... ;)

I was going to order a 2016 Spyder but didn't like the manual roof or the fact it was essentially the little brother to the GT4, different suspension, less HP and other things that seemed to put it under the GT4, to me it was weird.

Personally I believe the 718 GT4/Spyder looks to be a great follow on to the models that went before, The GT Group came through when they had a tough niche to fill, different, but not too much so, faster and more powerful but not so as to upset the 911 faithful (I always think this is crap, I am not interested in a 911, never have been), the all new 4.0l engine is perfect, 8000 RPM red line and with over 400HP, what's not to like, and the GT4/Spyder are now equals mechanically which is the way it should be!

For me the styling is great, evolved and with enough of an edge to make it interesting, I tour so for me no wing is better, the addition of PASM will help smooth out those rough roads, the manual top is, well, acceptable, not my favorite but it comes with the package so I will get used to it. Still don't like how expensive Navigation is or that it doesn't come with Android Auto, but like the top, I will live with it because I am buying the car for driving not to listen to music in and for most of the time the top will be down, and I will know where I am going or I don't care how I get there, the adventure is the road ahead! :)

So this time around I will be ordering one, this car strikes a chord with me, it will take over from the Boxster GTS and we will explore new places and events in 2020!

Now I just need to configure the thing and choose a colour... :hilarious:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wonder, does PASM now come with height adjustable coil-overs? My old 987.1 has PASM but I can't adjust the ride height. So I am saving my pennies for Bilstiens.

Also, don't forget that with PASM you can most likely get the DSC Sport module to really upgrade the handling.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I wonder, does PASM now come with height adjustable coil-overs? My old 987.1 has PASM but I can't adjust the ride height. So I am saving my pennies for Bilstiens.

Also, don't forget that with PASM you can most likely get the DSC Sport module to really upgrade the handling.
Not sure, but here is a picture of the suspension... GT4/Spyder are the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok you beat me to posting the thread with the same title. I put a deposit down after trading in my Ferrari 360 Spyder. There were no Spyders available by the time I decided to change cars in summer of 2016 so ordered a late production 981 Cayman GTS (718 had just come out but wanted the F 6.

I am high on the list and hope I will get an allocation. I have been down the Tesla road and while electric is the future I wanted a drivers car. A mid engine 3 pedal. I have always owned convertible sports cars with a few exceptions and wanted to give the Cayman a try based on the wonderful feedback on the car and the weekend track use and it was a great car.

If I lived in the states, and wanted a automatic shifter with paddles I would buy a Mclaren Spyder for the same money as the Porsche Spyder/GT4 with PDK. They are so many bargains on autotrader. But I want a manual which leads to my last sentence.
So not to add too much to the original list - I think this will be my last manual sports car purchase. I love the roof of the Spyder and the fact that it is manual.

What options are available to a purchaser who wants a mid-engine NASP with a true manual shifter in a drop top that has lots of storage for road trips with the build quality of a Porsche?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Ok you beat me to posting the thread with the same title. I put a deposit down after trading in my Ferrari 360 Spyder. There were no Spyders available by the time I decided to change cars in summer of 2016 so ordered a late production 981 Cayman GTS (718 had just come out but wanted the F 6.

I am high on the list and hope I will get an allocation. I have been down the Tesla road and while electric is the future I wanted a drivers car. A mid engine 3 pedal. I have always owned convertible sports cars with a few exceptions and wanted to give the Cayman a try based on the wonderful feedback on the car and the weekend track use and it was a great car.

If I lived in the states, and wanted a automatic shifter with paddles I would buy a Mclaren Spyder for the same money as the Porsche Spyder/GT4 with PDK. They are so many bargains on autotrader. But I want a manual which leads to my last sentence.
So not to add too much to the original list - I think this will be my last manual sports car purchase. I love the roof of the Spyder and the fact that it is manual.

What options are available to a purchaser who wants a mid-engine NASP with a true manual shifter in a drop top that has lots of storage for road trips with the build quality of a Porsche?
This is a trick question right? The Porsche Boxster is the answer! ;)

I looked for years for this same combination and as you can see from my signature only found it in the Boxster, and they just keep getting better! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is a trick question right? The Porsche Boxster is the answer! ;)

I looked for years for this same combination and as you can see from my signature only found it in the Boxster, and they just keep getting better! :)
The question is open ended for anyone to answer. . If anyone can suggest a mid engine convertible car with a manual and a NASP as an alternative in that price range. I can’t think of any. Even the new C8 corvette is rumoured not to have a true manual. Basically the Spyder/Gt4 could end up being a unicorn and the last of its kind. Audi R8, Alfa,Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mclaren - most turbo and all paddle shifters. I guess the next Lotus perhaps?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
This is how I would order it I think: PLNPZY23
I find that the porsche code links do not work, but here it is anyway: https://www.porsche-code.com/PLNPZY23

Although I've always wanted the PCCBs, I think I would sacrifice them for the LWBs and just get the callipers painted black.

Not bad! BTW, the link worked fine for me.

That blue has me curious, never thought of yellow as an accent, I went right to red or silver... The exterior colour is so important and for me it determines all of the accent choices, even the over priced Platinum Satin, which is included on the GT4, and I can't understand that the paint option for wheels is less than 1/2 the cost of it on the Spyder?

Canux, you show great restraint, even given the down sides of PCCB I will have tough time saying no to that option!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The question is open ended for anyone to answer. . If anyone can suggest a mid engine convertible car with a manual and a NASP as an alternative in that price range. I can’t think of any. Even the new C8 corvette is rumoured not to have a true manual. Basically the Spyder/Gt4 could end up being a unicorn and the last of its kind. Audi R8, Alfa,Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mclaren - most turbo and all paddle shifters. I guess the next Lotus perhaps?
I think that GM decided against offering a MT in the C8 since only 20% ordered them on the C7, and of course because of the performance improvement inherent in a DCT.
In my case I'm delaying ordering any Porsche until the C8 is released and thoroughly tested. A 500 HP, 500 lb-ft torque, mid-engined car is worth taking a look at, but actually the 700 HP, 700 lb-ft torque, C8 Z06 with Cup tires is the one I really want to look at, especially since the rumor is its sticker will be under $90K. I know that the Z06 will probably have a curb weight at least 250 lbs heavier than a 718 GT4, but I have to believe its nearly additional 400 lb-ft of torque (700) over the GT4 (314) will easily offset the extra weight.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I think that GM decided against offering a MT in the C8 since only 20% ordered them on the C7, and of course because of the performance improvement inherent in a DCT.
In my case I'm delaying ordering any Porsche until the C8 is released and thoroughly tested. A 500 HP, 500 lb-ft torque, mid-engined car is worth taking a look at, but actually the 700 HP, 700 lb-ft torque, C8 Z06 with Cup tires is the one I really want to look at, especially since the rumor is its sticker will be under $90K. I know that the Z06 will probably have a curb weight at least 250 lbs heavier than a 718 GT4, but I have to believe its nearly additional 400 lb-ft of torque (700) over the GT4 (314) will easily offset the extra weight.
I don't doubt that the C8 Z06 will be a monster, even the launch car will, I wish that I could stack them side by side with the 718 Spyder right now! I don't know what I would do about choosing one over the other, I am not looking for the absolute maximum performer because as well all now there are nuances that can really alter the driving experience.

I feel that I 'know' what the Spyder will be like to drive, but since my last Corvette was so long ago I have no idea what it will be like to drive the C8 and I'll bet getting a test drive will be near impossible during the few months after launch. :(

Add to this the C8 is brand new model, I have a tough time considering it right out of the gate 'over' the Spyder. Don't tell the wife but maybe a used C8 next fall will be my in! :hilarious:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Not bad! BTW, the link worked fine for me.

That blue has me curious, never thought of yellow as an accent, I went right to red or silver... The exterior colour is so important and for me it determines all of the accent choices, even the over priced Platinum Satin, which is included on the GT4, and I can't understand that the paint option for wheels is less than 1/2 the cost of it on the Spyder?

Canux, you show great restraint, even given the down sides of PCCB I will have tough time saying no to that option!
Yellow is a great accent to blue, thankfully, and of course if you go for the yellow PCCBs the car looks even better. But I can justify them. I could add them later with aftermarket steel discs or I could paint the standard ones.

Also, I have yet to sit in a LWBS so I would need to do that first before the seat decision was final.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't doubt that the C8 Z06 will be a monster, even the launch car will, I wish that I could stack them side by side with the 718 Spyder right now! I don't know what I would do about choosing one over the other, I am not looking for the absolute maximum performer because as well all now there are nuances that can really alter the driving experience.

I feel that I 'know' what the Spyder will be like to drive, but since my last Corvette was so long ago I have no idea what it will be like to drive the C8 and I'll bet getting a test drive will be near impossible during the few months after launch. :(

Add to this the C8 is brand new model, I have a tough time considering it right out of the gate 'over' the Spyder. Don't tell the wife but maybe a used C8 next fall will be my in! :hilarious:

I believe this will be Chevy’s first modern foray into mid engine car (Fiero being Pontiac). This fact would make me wary of owning the first series production. Again if I was living in the US and manual was not an option in a mid engine car I would buy a Mclaren. The depreciation has been incredible and I think near bottom. A 570 or 650 Spyder for me (Ferrari would be great as well but have not deprecated to the 718 GT4 level. Mclaren would also be far rarer than corvette. But as I said find me a manual mid engine NASP car comparable to the Porsche Spyder that checks all the boxes. Nothing close.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, so this is a knock off of K-Man's thread on not ordering, no big deal though, as exactly NO ONE has asked me about ordering the Spyder.

1) The new 4.0L engine is a good bit larger than my 981 BS at 3.4 liters, we're talking roughly 100hp and 50lbs/ft of torque. The higher revs (8k) available just make you smile at 7k to redline. (Win for the 718 Spyder. yeah, my opinion)

2) Price, this is a hidden fact of inflation. The USD is racing against the Euro to see who comes out ahead. (Inflation says that dollars spent later are less costly)

3) Non Limited Run - "GT cars are supposed to be limited runs" .... except the US secondary market ticked off Preuninger and he decided that Porsche should benefit from the market demand, not individual sellers of early cars. (Loss for US customers)

4) Performance - "10 seconds faster around the 'Ring is inconsequential." I believe that the actual quote was, "more than 10 seconds" .... but let's not quibble, I'll take the 10 seconds and apply it to COTA with all the GT3 bits and I should beat my personal best. That's what matters, right?

5) Weight - "Absolutely no reason for the car to gain as much weight as it has" ... hard to argue here except that the GT3 parts are heavier in addition to the bespoke rear suspension. I'm pretty sure that Preuninger would not add weight without cause.

6) Looks - Porsche design is timeless.

7) Missed Opportunity - "In a world where a 4 door Tesla
Model 3 sedan is turning similar performance numbers (and in some cases better) than a GT4", Okay, times may be changing, but my gas powered Porsche is not a time bomb on a charger in my garage, like a Tesla is connected to a charging source in my garage.

Porsche time moves inexorably forward at the rate that they prescribe. Embrace it or reject it, Preuninger and his GT group will do what they will do.
Makes sense to me.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I think it is the best looking sports car on the planet. I'd it take it over a 991.2 Speedster any day.....and save 160k +100k ADM.

I'm seriously wondering how I can figure out how to afford a Spyder and a 992 GT3.....and keep my 991.2 as a daily driver. :) First world problems.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I think it is the best looking sports car on the planet. I'd it take it over a 991.2 Speedster any day.....and save 160k +100k ADM.

I'm seriously wondering how I can figure out how to afford a Spyder and a 992 GT3.....and keep my 991.2 as a daily driver. :) First world problems.
I think the 718 Spyder is the second-best-looking car Porsche has EVER made. In my book nothing beats the 904 Carrera GTS, then comes Spyder then Carrera GT.

Attachments

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I think the 718 Spyder is the second-best-looking car Porsche has EVER made. In my book nothing beats the 904 Carrera GTS, then comes Spyder then Carrera GT.

Wow. We have very similar taste. I think those are the best three cars as well. I would put them in a different order though. Carrera GT, 904 and Spyder.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts