Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like this is a Boxster/Cayman forum.
Why is there not much activity here ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Tom is camping outside his dealer's showroom for a GT3 RS allocation, I cancelled my turbo allocation and Patrick is out enjoying his new turbo... the remaining 911 owners are defending their case at the 981 forum against the GT4 ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is a younger group of drivers who saw many 360° spins when watching the 911's and just never grew to trust them not to bite you.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Seems like this is a Boxster/Cayman forum.
Why is there not much activity here ?
Because its caymanclub.net?

Not joking. Seriously, enter caymanclub.net in your URL and see what comes up. Over the years, it has morphed to include Boxsters. Kman can speak to his history but now evolving to include the other model lines, hence the new planet 9 logo? Get it? 9xx?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
The 911 guys were born before computers were invented so they don't know how to get on forums?

They all bought the better platform i.e. a 981?

They are too busy connecting bricks on their bumpers with bungee cords?

Joking of course. We need more 911 folks in here....so start a thread. 981 guys/gals will hop on and contribute.

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
3,117 Posts

Not joking. Seriously, enter caymanclub.net in your URL and see what comes up. Over the years, it has morphed to include Boxsters. Kman can speak to his history but now evolving to include the other model lines, hence the new planet 9 logo? Get it? 9xx?
New planet 9 logo? Where?
9xx...yep, i get that.;)

PorschePlate.jpg

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Well, considering my new Cayman just isn't giving me enough traction in the serious cold and snow we've been having, I've been thinking I should get a 911 C4 as a winter beater :hilarious:

Reactions: sdj and Lime-Gold

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

What?! We're letting Boxster riffraff in?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The 911 guys were born before computers were invented so they don't know how to get on forums?

They all bought the better platform?

They are too busy connecting bricks on their bumpers with bungee cords?

Joking of course. We need more 911 folks in here....so start a thread. 981 guys/gals will hop on and contribute.
Most folks here are Cayman/Boxster aficionados first, and Porsche loyalists (to varying degrees) second. Consequently, it's understandable that overall there is a mid-engine platform bias. I like both platforms pretty much equally, because they do different things brilliantly. Could 987/981 owners on P9 come in and mix it up with 911 owners on their sub-forum without getting into "my platform is better than your platform" debates? The few 911 owners that frequent P9 obviously have an appreciation of the mid-engine variants in the Porsche lineup...do 987/981 owners have the same respect for 911s?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
B/c they go to rennlist and 6speed to get their 911 fix. A lot of them have absolutely no respect for the Cayman/Boxster. They are too good to be here, not sure if you like to hear, the 911 is an icon and a real Porsche all the time on a Cayman/Boxster forum.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Could 987/981 owners on P9 come in and mix it up with 911 owners on their sub-forum without getting into "my platform is better than your platform" debates? The few 911 owners that frequent P9 obviously have an appreciation of the mid-engine variants in the Porsche lineup...do 987/981 owners have the same respect for 911s?
That is an interesting perspective I never thought of. The "reverse" prejudice I sometimes read here is amusing. Yet each platform is designed and meant to exist for entirely different reasons. You are right on point.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Previous 987 owner and current 991 owner. I post when I have something to contribute...which isn't too often these days. I started on P-9 and I still like the lively debates here as well as the enthusiast lean to the crowd. The tone here is good much of the time and there is somewhat less of "should I get the deviated stitching" with this group (somewhat less pretentious IMO). I live in Florida so I get a Porsche fix on most days (the wife gets hers when I don't get mine) and the winter provides some of the best driving weather with cool and clear sparkling days. I appreciate the Porsche line of sports cars and highly respect the Porsche brand in general. Here are a few points driven by our daily drive experience with both cars:

1. My wife and I enjoy the 911 immensely and we also enjoyed the Cayman. The 991 is a better daily driver than the 987 was in our opinion and that point is mostly driven by PDK and visibility out of the cabin. To us. the 987 felt more "eager" and the 911 feels more polished.

2. We are reaching the end of "atmospheric" engines. If you care about driving at the limit, that is not a particularly good thing (but how much time do we actually spend there?). Porsche does turbocharging well (although other manufacturers are doing much better these days and I will offer my driving experience in a Focus ST as evidence) but the aural experience of a normally aspirated flat 6 is something to be missed. I am not going to be easy to convince to trade into the next generation of an all turbocharged lineup. I do think the hybrid drive approach of the 918 is likely to eventually reach across the entirety of Porsche's sport car product line.

3. Our next Porsche vehicle will probably be a Macan. We are past the family stage but do have a grandchild and do other things that require a somewhat larger vehicle. The electronics suite in our 2008 Lexus RX350 has not aged well.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you saw many 911 360 spins, you're not that young. Porsche electronics and tweaks have pretty much made that a historical issue. The current platform is stable and the rear engine weight bias barely noticeable. One would really have to be pushing the envelope these days to spin a 911. At any rate, continuously arguing over the relative merits of the 911 vs the 981 is one reason that the 911 owners are quiet. I do see this as a Cayman/Boxster forum and I admire those cars but the bias against the 911 makes this a difficult forum. I do enjoy it though.

This is a younger group of drivers who saw many 360° spins when watching the 911's and just never grew to trust them not to bite you.

·
4,105 Posts
If you saw many 911 360 spins, you're not that young. Porsche electronics and tweaks have pretty much made that a historical issue. The current platform is stable and the rear engine weight bias barely noticeable. One would really have to be pushing the envelope these days to spin a 911. At any rate, continuously arguing over the relative merits of the 911 vs the 981 is one reason that the 911 owners are quiet. I do see this as a Cayman/Boxster forum and I admire those cars but the bias against the 911 makes this a difficult forum. I do enjoy it though.
Also, hasn't the 911 engine center of gravity been creeping forward with each iteration? I think so.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I agree with you 100%. I for one could spin the 987 easily after turbo charging it despite what people think about mid-engine handling.

As for the bias against the 911, I might get flamed but I'll say it:
1) P9 has high percentage of track oriented members. For that I understand the bias towards 996/987/981 either for its mid-engine or low mod cost.
2) some can't afford a 911, therefore they may tend to justify it to themselves that the 986/987/981 is a better car. Many Porsche owners react the same towards Ferrari, Lamborghini and McLaren when they can't afford their tag price or running cost.
3) some tried the 911, but felt the 986/987/981 suits them better whether in terms of price, looks or handling.
4) some just go with the flow without giving themselves a chance to react without the influence of others.
5) and some, truly the 911 doesn't interest them while they can afford it.

If I can't afford a Porsche, I'd be happily justifying why my Lada, Kia or Hyundai is more suitable than a Porsche.
If I can afford a Cayman/Boxster I'd be happily justifying why it's all the car I need.
If I can afford a FEFI I'd be happily dancing for it's the best car in the world... Throw me then the keys of a Huayra and I'll lose my senses. ;)

Even Jay Leno's garage doesn't have the cars I want... another reason to pray to make it to heaven in the afterlife ;)

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yes it is, the 991 platform has moved the engine forward, yet again.

Also, hasn't the 911 engine center of gravity been creeping forward with each iteration? I think so.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
One other thing that I find amusing is the amount of posters who speak about the 911 as having the engine in the wrong place, being a relic etc... and then will post in another thread that they are saving for a GT3. I guess the rear engine in a GT3 does not alter the center of gravity?

As I've said time and again, they are all great cars in their own right. Everyone makes a choice based on need and desire. For the vast majority of drivers, the engine placement will never matter. They aren't pushing the cars to 9/10of their capability and in daily driving the difference is negligible. That is also true for the tenths of a second in 0-60 times or top speeds. Any one of these cars is probably more that the vast majority of posters here need. We but these cars for the joy of driving, the visceral thrill of the engine and, yes, probably for ego. There are plenty of great cars being manufactured today and Porsche is simply one of them, not the only one.

I agree with you 100%. I for one could spin the 987 easily after turbo charging it despite what people think about mid-engine handling.

As for the bias against the 911, I might get flamed but I'll say it:
1) P9 has high percentage of track oriented members. For that I understand the bias towards 996/987/981 either for its mid-engine or low mod cost.
2) some can't afford a 911, therefore they may tend to justify it to themselves that the 986/987/981 is a better car. Many Porsche owners react the same towards Ferrari, Lamborghini and McLaren when they can't afford their tag price or running cost.
3) some tried the 911, but felt the 986/987/981 suits them better whether in terms of price, looks or handling.
4) some just go with the flow without giving themselves a chance to react without the influence of others.
5) and some, truly the 911 doesn't interest them while they can afford it.

If I can't afford a Porsche, I'd be happily justifying why my Lada, Kia or Hyundai is more suitable than a Porsche.
If I can afford a Cayman/Boxster I'd be happily justifying why it's all the car I need.
If I can afford a FEFI I'd be happily dancing for it's the best car in the world... Throw me then the keys of a Huayra and I'll lose my senses. ;)

Even Jay Leno's garage doesn't have the cars I want... another reason to pray to make it to heaven in the afterlife ;)

Reactions: gcurnew

·
4,105 Posts
One other thing that I find amusing is the amount of posters who speak about the 911 as having the engine in the wrong place, being a relic etc... and then will post in another thread that they are saving for a GT3. I guess the rear engine in a GT3 does not alter the center of gravity?
Yep that's me! LOL. Although I keep swapping my long term plans between a GT3 or C4GTS with an aerokit - they are about the same cost for each of my builds at $145k. That is still 4.5 years out though. It depends on if I get the track bug or as I get older want the creature comforts.

But I don't think there is a conflict in my thought process. Yes, a mid-engine design is superior and yes the 981 looks better (my subjective opinion and I am a first time Porsche buyer). However, the 911 is the icon and I always wanted one and I really hate being second best or owning the little brother - so why not. And before anyone else comments, yes I succumbed to effective Porsche marketing. I'm just going to have 2 Porsches. I will never get rid of my 981 BS. It's just too awesome. A 6MT, NA PSE equipped red roadster is irreplaceable.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I do understand and it's a common theme here. Good luck with the long term plans.

Yep that's me! LOL. Although I keep swapping my long term plans between a GT3 or C4GTS with an aerokit - they are about the same cost for each of my builds at $145k. That is still 4.5 years out though. It depends on if I get the track bug or as I get older want the creature comforts.

But I don't think there is a conflict in my thought process. Yes, a mid-engine design is superior and yes the 981 looks better (my subjective opinion and I am a first time Porsche buyer). However, the 911 is the icon and I always wanted one and I really hate being second best or owning the little brother - so why not. And before anyone else comments, yes I succumbed to effective Porsche marketing. I'm just going to have 2 Porsches. I will never get rid of my 981 BS. It's just too awesome. A 6MT, NA PSE equipped red roadster is irreplaceable.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Yes, the 991 engine is significantly forward from the 997. The widowmaker jokes of the past are valid, especially for the GT2. People simply couldn't handle the power. But that means they didn't know now to drive the car.

For the younger folks who might not have driven an air cooled model, I can see them not understanding the difference. Today, as Michael said, its going to be rare. Mid-engined cars give snap oversteer. When it spins, it spins without warning. The 911 has been so overengineered and refined over the decades that the engineers know exactly what they are doing.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts