Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 981 is the only car I know of, where the convertible version costs less than the hardtop.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
My guess is that Porsche priced the Boxster too low, and weren't about to repeat the mistake when they introduced the Cayman. They of course rationalized the higher price by offering a few more HP.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
:) When you figure that out, go back in time to 2006 and explain the answer to everyone who has ever bought a Cayman.

It's because "they can"

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Purely marketing. Boxster was the original. Cayman came after and had to appear something a little more special, so they gave it ~3% more power and more than double that heavier price tag. lawlz.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Exactly. They determined that demand was inelastic to price within the range so they did it. And yes, the question was posed 10 years ago when the Cayman S was announced.

:) When you figure that out, go back in time to 2006 and explain the answer to everyone who has ever bought a Cayman.

It's because "they can"

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My primary apprehension about getting the Boxster would be concerns about not being allowed to use it for track days, as I've heard that some track day organizations are not allowing convertibles.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm playing with the configurator, and it seems ironic that I can afford to build a little bit nicer car, if I'm willing to accept a power convertible top, due to the lower base price.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
It's like having 2 cars so it's a great deal.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
In my experience (Texas) most organizations and tracks allow Boxsters. BMW club is a notable exception allowing No convertibles of any type. Of course it's best to check with whatever groups and tracks you plan to run. Most have the "broomstick rule" in which the top of your helmet must be lower than a line from the top of the roll hoop to the windscreen frame. For prior generations 986 and 987 there are aftermarket roll bar extensions and lower seat brackets (Brey Krause). I am not certain of such for the 981 yet. You can of course try out the 981 with a helmet on and the seat at it's lowest setting. May get a strange look from the salesman. I did when I tried it in a 986!

My primary apprehension about getting the Boxster would be concerns about not being allowed to use it for track days, as I've heard that some track day organizations are not allowing convertibles.

Reactions: Stevelev

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
If you hang around PCA and SCCA then convertible is not a problem on track. Well, let me reword it. If you're hard core then get Cayman, if you just want AX/DE here and there then Boxster will do.

Boxster costs more to make than a compatible Cayman but Porsche can charges more for less and there are takers so they will do it.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Boxster costs more to make the a compatible Cayman but Porsche can charges more for less and there are takers so they will do it.
I don't know if I agree the Boxster costs more to make. For one thing, the curb weights of the Boxster and Cayman are identical, which is unusual. Typically speaking, convertibles weigh more because they have increased structural support to compensate for the lack of a top. Depending on how extensive this is, it could increase manufacturing costs significantly. But the fact that both 981 models weigh the same lead me to believe there isn't much difference. Compare this against the Carrera where the cabriolet weighs ~150 lbs more than the coupe, and is priced higher as well.

Another thing to consider is the fact that the 981 Boxster was available an entire model year ahead of the 981 Cayman. Generally, a convertible version of a car is available after the coupe. You have to assume that there are additional development costs when extending a couple platform to support a convertible (eg, the aforementioned increased structural support). In this case, it's quite clear that the 981 platform was developed as a convertible from the ground up.

Now, I will concede that it does make sense to assume a folding roof mechanism costs more to manufacture than a fixed roof, but I would guess the total manufacturing costs for a Cayman vs. a Boxster are pretty close, negligible even. The 10hp bump and the slightly higher Cayman pricing seems simply like a positioning move by Porsche.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I remember reading some Porsche marketing material wherein it stated that it is wrong to assume that the cayman is a boxster with a roof and that these are totally different vehicles developed differently. Yeah right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just checked the Porsche website. The prices are only $700 apart from each other and that difference gets you an extra 10 hp.

Cayman S $72,200 (315 hp)
Boxster S $72,900 (325 hp)

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Actually http://www.planet-9.com/members/abedh-14685.html did get the BMW club to accept 987 Boxsters while he had his Spyder. Not sure if they allow 981s yet.

In my experience (Texas) most organizations and tracks allow Boxsters. BMW club is a notable exception allowing No convertibles of any type. Of course it's best to check with whatever groups and tracks you plan to run. Most have the "broomstick rule" in which the top of your helmet must be lower than a line from the top of the roll hoop to the windscreen frame. For prior generations 986 and 987 there are aftermarket roll bar extensions and lower seat brackets (Brey Krause). I am not certain of such for the 981 yet. You can of course try out the 981 with a helmet on and the seat at it's lowest setting. May get a strange look from the salesman. I did when I tried it in a 986!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I just checked the Porsche website. The prices are only $700 apart from each other and that difference gets you an extra 10 hp.

If 10 hp costs $700, then the whole car should only be $22,000, right? Why is Porsche charging so much? :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
The Boxster was born out of necessity (along with the Cayenne) and it saved Porsche's a** from being bought out. The Cayman was an experiment to see if they could bring in 'poor' 911 purchasers. Totally different markets. They 'extra' HP was to lure the 911 crowd that couldn't buy a 911.

Interestingly...both the 986/987 Boxsters and 987 Cayman crowd proved to be pretty independent and thus created a new Porsche sub-culture. Which is pretty great.

That said....there is a reason that Porsche has the highest profit margin of any major car manufacturer. :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
It's more of a legacy thing.

However, I don't see anything wrong with it if Porsche can still maintain its profit margin. The coupe layout is superior to the convertible (no disrespect to Boxsters here), so a more performance oriented car should actually demand more from a coupe than a convertible. Of course, that doesn't seem to be the case generally as cost of production is higher, and consumers generally place a higher value on convertible cars for styling etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm playing with the configurator, and it seems ironic that I can afford to build a little bit nicer car, if I'm willing to accept a power convertible top, due to the lower base price.
I love my Boxster and I love driving with the top down. But I wouldn't buy a convertible just to save a few bucks. There are some disadvantages. Especially this time of year when it's covered in salt. I won't put my rag top through a car wash.

·
Banned
548 Posts

Your numbers are flipped (the Cayman S has 325 hp).

In the US, it breaks down like this:

Boxster: $51,400
Cayman: $52,600 (+ $1,200)

Boxster S: $63,300
Cayman S: $63,800 (+ $500)

Boxster GTS: $73,500
Cayman GTS: $75,200 (+ $1,700)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Doesn't Porsche make a profit of 20,000 euros on each Boxster and Cayman?
As the value of the euro is down, but the dollar prices remain the same; it probably makes 30,000 now.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts