Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if Porsche disclosed why a $2000+ option is now included for 2019. Is there anything being removed to offset this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Base price was increased so they probably included it to justify the price as well as offset some of the sound critiques.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Interesting! If your talking the 718, perhaps they read all the negativity concerning the sound of the car and have redesigned the sport exhaust and decided to make it standard in an attempt to dampen the criticism. Have to wait for a road test to see if anyone tells the story.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Interesting! If your talking the 718, perhaps they read all the negativity concerning the sound of the car and have redesigned the sport exhaust and decided to make it standard in an attempt to dampen the criticism. Have to wait for a road test to see if anyone tells the story.
I suspect this is the reason. Porsche has always swapped up chargeable options to standard options from year to year. What option is standard one year may not be next year, but I can’t think of a single year where PSE is standard on any car except the GT cars or a GTS model. I think this may be a way to quiet the sound critics and entice buyers to get the upgraded sound without paying for it. Sweeten the deal as it where. But in my opinion, and it’s just MY opinion so all of you 718 owners/proponents don’t go off the deep end, the PSE does little to help the flat 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
<sigh>
I think the 718 sounds MUCH better without PSE.
(Yes, I know you can turn it off...but reports from owners here and elsewhere say even with it off it sounds different thhn a car with no PSE).

Bad move Porsche, IMO, unless they've re-engineered the sound of PSE for MY 2019.

·
Registered
247 Posts
<sigh>
I think the 718 sounds MUCH better without PSE.
(Yes, I know you can turn it off...but reports from owners here and elsewhere say even with it off it sounds different thhn a car with no PSE).

Bad move Porsche, IMO, unless they've re-engineered the sound of PSE for MY 2019.
Agree--I think the PSE sounds worse than standard. I'm glad I've got mine.

However, as it seems that we are in the minority, it may not be a bad move--and I have heard that the new PSE does sound different.

Now if only we could find a way of reducing the Sport mode flatulence while keeping the rest of the Sport mode soundtrack.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Now if only we could find a way of reducing the Sport mode flatulence while keeping the rest of the Sport mode soundtrack.
I liked this at first but it would be nice to lose that aspect and keep the other benefits.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I'll let you know after I get my 2019.......I was actually not planning to order it after test driving 2018s but will have to see what it does. After having done a fair amount of test driving Base and S 2018s, the sound was growing on me. My wife did not seem to mind the change and, in fact, said it sounds like what you used to do to most of our cars by adding aftermarket, customer exhausts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My assumption is that the EU banned the sale of exhaust systems with a active/button activated manifold so Porsche made it standard.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My assumption is that the EU banned the sale of exhaust systems with a active/button activated manifold so Porsche made it standard.
Could you elaborate, please?

I know I never saw an EU bureaucretin that didn't like the regulation/law in front of them to pass (I am from EU by the way, I know my chickens), but what you are saying makes no sense really. If they are offended by the loud noise, then they should have banned the button AND loud mode, not the opposite - which would be no button and loud mode standard. IMO.

Unless I completely misunderstood what you were trying to say.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
+1
As far as I understand the PSE
button is still there just like every other PSE car. The only difference is the PSE is included and not an additional cost option anymore (although you can bet its not really "free" and base price reflects this change). There is nothing uncommon about this practice in any industry. Things that are sold as options at one point may become standard features at another time, so I'm not sure why people are overthinking this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I liked this at first but it would be nice to lose that aspect and keep the other benefits.

I agree with this. I like the rev matching since I'm not skilled at heel-toe but don't really care for the boy-racer sound of the Sport mode. For that reason I find I tend to run in Sport+ just to avoid that. Still breaking the GTS in though so this could change down the road as the car starts getting driven harder.
MOO

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion from Bimmerpost M2 forum discussing m performance exhaust

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510264
Thanks. As expected ... (bold is mine)

"For those of you who did not know yet, the BMW M Performance exhaust sales have been stopped. The exhausts are not legal in Europe and are therefore not being sold anymore in Europe. U.S. and other regions are NOT included.

The exhausts are not legal in Europe since from the coming months onwards you are not allowed to offer a button in the interior that switches to an exhaust mode that is louder than before. Also you are not allowed to make an aftermarket exhaust that is louder than the stock exhaust. "

That makes perfect sense. Somehow, I did read your post as "you cannot use button and default is sport exhaust ON".

One more thing. For what it is worth, if you go to Porsche USA configurator and pick a 718 car without touching any options, look at the interior picture and the PSE button is right there default.

·
Registered
247 Posts
<snip>The exhausts are not legal in Europe since from the coming months onwards you are not allowed to offer a button in the interior that switches to an exhaust mode that is louder than before. Also you are not allowed to make an aftermarket exhaust that is louder than the stock exhaust.
So you make the standard as loud as legal and put a button in for "quiet mode".:)

The German configurator also has the PSE button, although of course they could all be old pictures.

·
Registered
342 Posts
So you make the standard as loud as legal and put a button in for "quiet mode".:)
I love that the current Mustang has the ability to set a time range for Quiet mode. You can program it, for example, to be in Quiet mode from 10pm-8am, then revert back to Sport mode for the rest of the day. Great for not waking up the neighbors if you come in late or leave early.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didn't spec the PSE. Last week I did the Porsche experience day and spent it in a 718 with the PSE. I was completely underwhelmed. The sport button makes the biggest difference to the sound as per my car. Switching the PSE on and off while keeping the Sport button on only made a small difference. The biggest thing I noticed was the increased volume of the pops and bangs when you come off the power. On the 981 the PSE was a worthwhile option, on the 718 I honestly don't think it's worth the 2 grand asking price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts