Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Drive it or Store it poll, sdj made an astute observation http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/105841-drive-store.html#post929686 post #26.

Why is there no AWD variant of the Boxster/Cayman?

Porsche now builds 23 variants of the 911. C4 versions have existed for decades. The AWD in the Macan is derived from the C4. Porsche offers winter driving schools Porsche Driving Experience Winter - Porsche Driving Experience - Events & Racing - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. So why isn't there a Boxster/Cayman version? The reasons I can think of are:

1. Not enough room in the chassis?

2. It would add (+ or -) $6K to each variant (But so what? You buy want you want)

3. They want to keep the RWD "sports car" image pure. (But that argument is nonsense because both variants would be available)

4. No production capacity (Possibly)

5. Too expensive to do mid-engined and AWD (Lambo did it) This is my guess. The FeFi is projected to be AWD

6. Because they want customer to buy up if you want an AWD sports car. (wouldn't surprise me)

So why do you think there is no AWD Boxster/Cayman variant?

Would you buy one (assuming the price increase is consistent with the 911 price for the AWD versions maybe $6 or $7K difference)?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe stupid question: Wouldn't it be difficult to make the current design AWD with the transmission where it is now behind the engine? How would they drive the front wheels while still keeping the engine as low as it is right now?

I would imagine it's easier in the 911 with the transmission in front of the engine.

Maybe they could do electric motors up front, when that tech trickles down from the 918.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
Interesting thought. Maybe because not many folks are asking for one?? Just a guess. I know I had never thought of an AWD Cayman/Boxster until just this moment. I like AWD cars but I am not sure that it would improve a Cayman . . . at least for the way I drive.

·
Registered
992 Posts
When/if they ever make a Boxster/Cayman with too much torque for the two rear wheels to adequately apply the power to the road, then this question becomes relevant. ;)

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
When/if they ever make a Boxster/Cayman with too much torque for the two rear wheels to adequately apply the power to the road, then this question becomes relevant. ;)
Wasn't there a rumor that the 3.8 produced too much torque for the PDK and that's why manual only in (Cayman) GT4.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
#5 is the winner, followed by lack of demand. Remember, the Boxster is a drop top, or more of a fair weather car, so there's not a lot of benefit to AWD in a fair weather car. The Cayman, well it has developed a following among sports car purists, who wouldn't really appreciate AWD either. If you look at just the Cayman sales numbers and estimate a portion for AWD, the sales would be pretty small.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Wasn't there a rumor that the 3.8 produced too much torque for the PDK and that's why manual only in (Cayman) GT4.
Maybe too much torque for pdk internals, but not for effective application of power. Porsche doesn't think the new RS 4.0 (nor forthcoming GT2 variant) needs awd and I agree.

981 would need a rear suspension redesign to cope, but I'd rather see them spend money on that than adding fwd.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had never thought of an AWD Cayman/Boxster until just this moment.
Neither had I until today. But with all the snow, I can see the point of having one.

981 would need a rear suspension redesign to cope, but I'd rather see them spend money on that than adding fwd.
Forget about performance. This is for the people in the snow belt, not necessarily to gain .001 seconds on a lap ;)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Forget about performance. This is for the people in the snow belt, not necessarily to gain .001 seconds on a lap ;)
Sports cars are for performance. 981 with snow tires and LSD works fine on ice or a couple inches of snow. Any more snow and clearance is the problem, not RWD. Trying to make a mid-engined performance car work in every condition just makes it compromised for its true purpose. Buy a used Subaru for the snow.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It would be interesting to see the sales breakdown (plus the poll thread) of fairweather states and countries. I am a fan of AWD, in my ooooodui, i never turned on traction control. In my F30 blue bomb, I turned it off a handful of times just to see what kind of rubber i could lay down.

now technically, if there's a challenge b/c of the tranny sitting behind the engine, that trumps the whole thing.

my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Six years ago or five, the topic of 4WD Cayman/Boxster and a tt versions was discussed here on P9. I think it was a poll too.

Nobody wanted 4WD back then.

In my case, I prefer a 500 HP turbo charged Cayman with RWD from the factory... You have no idea what a fun car it'd be.

Reactions: K-Man S

·
Registered
992 Posts
In my case, I prefer a 500 HP turbo charged Cayman with RWD from the factory... You have no idea what a fun car it'd be.
500hp is now the realm of NA 6-cyl power (new RS), my preference over Turbo power. Otherwise, I agree (but 981 rear suspension is not up to that).

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I suspect the reason there's no AWD variant of the Boxster/Cayman is the high cost of reworking the mid-engine platform to drive an additional axle can't be justified, and hasn't been needed. The basic R&D to convert the 911 to AWD was done a couple of decades ago, and amortized over several generations of cars. Without AWD, most drivers would have been unable to handle the power and torque of 993/996/997/991 Turbos. Because Boxsters and Caymans have been underpowered relative to their rear-engined brethren, AWD wasn't needed to provide an additional safety margin for average drivers. The most potent variants of the 911 - the GT2s - are RWD only, and by all accounts are snarling beasts whose performance capabilities can only be tapped by very experienced and confident drivers. Boxsters/Caymans are pussycats powerwise in comparison to the turbocharged 911s, and there has been no need for AWD to put down their modest horsepower.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I suspect the reason there's no AWD variant of the Boxster/Cayman is the high cost of reworking the mid-engine platform to drive an additional axle can't be justified, and hasn't been needed. The basic R&D to convert the 911 to AWD was done a couple of decades ago, and amortized over several generations of cars. Without AWD, most drivers would have been unable to handle the power and torque of 993/996/997/991 Turbos. Because Boxsters and Cayamns have been underpowered relative to their rear-engined brethren, AWD wasn't needed to provide an additional safety margin for average drivers. The most potent variants of the 911 - the GT2s - are RWD only, and by all accounts are snarling beasts whose performance capabilities can only be tapped by very experienced and confident drivers. Boxsters/Caymans are pussycats powerwise in comparison to the turbocharged 911s, and there has been no need for AWD to put down their modest horsepower.
Basically what I was trying to say, but you said it much better :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To a certain extent I can buy into what gcurnew has said. After all, the GT2 was called the widowmaker for a reason. However, Lambo has and will continue to create mid-engined AWD cars. The new ZR1, FeFi, and I am sure other expensive and big HP cars will be the same way.

While I do agree sports cars are meant for performance, I'm not going to totally buy that a AWD 981 version might not have takers. Just as there is a market for the base carrera, a C4 versions exists to with CGTS power levels. Sure, the R&D is done, and that brings it back full circle. My initial guess is, and Gator's guess, and somewhat confirmed by gcurnew, its all about money. The cost to develop it and sell it at a reasonable price might not justify the investment.

I'm not going to buy the Trying to make a mid-engined performance car work in every condition just makes it compromised for its true purpose concept, which was my #3 option, because you can buy either the RWD or AWD version. Its the customer's choice. If you don't want the AWD versions, don't buy it. How many C4 cars are sold in FL? And since PAG is in the business to make money, and does so very very well, if there was money in it, I am sure they would be doing it.

So I can only surmise the ROI isn't there (or lack of production capacity). It always comes back to money. :confused:

·
Registered
992 Posts
996 GT2 of 15 years ago was called the widow maker - newer versions with PSM and TC are not unmanageable for a decent or cautious driver.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Instead of working on a mechanical AWD, Porsche could always trickle down the technology of a Hybrid AWD. Front wheels driven by electric motors, rear wheels driven by the gas engine.

Either way I would have zero interest in an AWD Cayman/Boxster, get a SUV or a nice AWD sedan/wagon for driving in the bad weather.

With the large number of SUV's, trucks, sedans driving around in the US, I would hate to be in an accident while driving a tiny sports car, AWD or not during icy/snowy conditions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts