Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, if you read my bacon moldings thread...

Dealer gave me a sweet loaded 2015 981CS for the day. 6,000 miles on it... and man was it beat up. Curbed rims, scratches in the paint, dings in the doors and flanks, chips on the hood. Front spoiler all scraped up, etc.

They know its part of the business - made me really sad how it was so abused. :(

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
For the same reason those that rent a car for three years (lease) might not care about it either other than contractual obligations.

It's not their personal property.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Because, unfortunately, some people are idiots and have no respect for someone else's property --- and often no respect for their own things either. For the amount of $ these cars represent one would think there would be some modicum of respect for the car and at least try to take care of it. I have a very good friend who is an executive at the local Lexus dealer and what he has told me has been done to some of the cars is just short of criminal in my mind.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Me, me, me, .....

or

Damn the torpedoes ...

or

Parenting values instilled ....

or

Take your pick.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's crap - people who do not have respect....poor form.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Now I understand why my dealer uses Hertz cars...

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did you think of the CS 3.4 vs your 2.7 Cayman?
Only drove it a few miles. its quicker of course... Pdk confuses me... My car feels more pure and simple if that makes sense. I also like my sport seats plus and x73 far better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
could also be a function of a sports car loaner to a SUV driver to try to garner cross sell. In which case, I'm not surprised. Driving a SUV and driving a low riding sports car are different animals in terms of curb rash, door length, etc, etc etc.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My dealer says they get all these beatup cars back and some need to go back to the shop. Few weeks ago, he got a loaner back from a customer who ran into wall, costing 25K to fix. They get wheels with curb rashes and broken all the time. Once they run out of good loaner due to being broken, Enterprise it is.
Some folks don't car for rentals nor their own personal property.

·
Registered
200 Posts
For the same reason those that rent a car for three years (lease) might not care about it either other than contractual obligations.

It's not their personal property.
I'm leasing my car and let me tell I treat it very well with frequent and safe washes (at least once a week with foam gun and 3 bucket method), park very far and safe wherever I go, etc... I would never think of abusing the car but rather to drive and enjoy it to its potential. But I guess I'm not the norm.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I always treated lease as if it was my purchase. It speaks to pride in what you drive regardless of how you arranged to drive it. Some of these may be CPO'd and sold by the dealer? I am not sure of that but curious. I expect you might be able to pick up on it if it never got registered to a personal owner.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
As Porsche dealers sell mostly Cayennes and Macans, it would make more sense to me to have the SUVs as loaners. The vehicles would be familiar to more people, with no spoilers to bang up, and less likelihood of running the crap out of them to "see what they will do."

BTW, when I get a loaner, I don't want a 911 or a Cayman/Boxster...I know what they are like. I want to sample a Panamera or an SUV.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Now I understand why my dealer uses Hertz cars...
I would just as soon have a Hertz car (Camry or whatever) as a loaner, as long as the dealer is picking up the tab. I really don't want to be responsible for a nice, new, expensive loaner, and I don't think the dealer should be obligated to give out nice cars to people that abuse them.

Due you think it's more cost effective for the dealer to pay Hertz for rentals, or loan out a Cayman that they'll never be able to CPO after it's had the crap beaten out of it and looks like garbage?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
My guess, they're not Porsche sports cars owners... Not intending to offend Panamera, Cayenne or Macan owners. But if they never owned a sports car, they may underestimate how to drive it. If you own a 911, Cayman or Boxster you can't do that to another sports car.

Either that, or they had a blue stamped engine ;)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
There's no way of knowing what percentage of drivers actually damage or abuse their loaners. You might have 90% of the people who treat the car well, but the damage inflicted by that 10% is what stays with the car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll be the negative Nancy... one thing I don't think anyone here has mentioned yet is that a lot of car owners, yes... even Porsche owners, don't treat their own cars very well. I live in an admittedly car jaded area (S. Orange County, CA) and I see MB, Audi, Range Rover, Porsche, BMW, etc. which are routinely kept in less than great shape.

As Porsche's popularity has grown, the number of hard core enthusiasts as a percentage of owners has likely diminished.

I don't understand it. I treated my first car (a 1981 Jeep CJ-8) like it was the greatest car ever made even though it was a total piece of crap. But it was my piece of crap and I took great pride of ownership.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I would just as soon have a Hertz car (Camry or whatever) as a loaner, as long as the dealer is picking up the tab. I really don't want to be responsible for a nice, new, expensive loaner, and I don't think the dealer should be obligated to give out nice cars to people that abuse them.

Due you think it's more cost effective for the dealer to pay Hertz for rentals, or loan out a Cayman that they'll never be able to CPO after it's had the crap beaten out of it and looks like garbage?
Maybe cause the 981 is my DD, I just do not feel comfortable or safe driving a Hertz. Feels like nothing will happen if I need to stop quickly, feels like the car will spin or roll over if I suddenly have to avoid an obstacle. Feels uncomfortable, unpleasant, and dangerous, like all the controls work over the Internet. When my new 981 is at the dealer to get a defect fixed, I feel like the money I spent for a new one ought to buy me a sports car loaner--base Boxster would be great.

Panny is ok, but feels so big it's worrying. That's me: all I ever drive is the 981, and sometimes the 914. I never drive sedans, except on a trip--and I hate it--and have never driven a SUV or minivan. When I come home from a trip, before unpacking I go visit my Porsche in the garage and and say hello. Always find some reason to drive it right away.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts