Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a fan of optional hardtops. I think many cars, like S2000's, e85 z4's, 986B's look better with a hardtop.

Asthetically (assuming they got the hardtop right), I think a 981B with a hardtop would top a 981B softtop and even perhaps a 981C!

If there was such an option I might even make the move to a 981B:crazy:

anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree, I always really liked the look of hardtops on s2ks, z3s & z4s.

I imagine Porsche just doesn't see the need, given the existence of the Cayman. I'll be interested to see how long Porsche keeps the ragtop, given all the closest competitors switching to retractable hardtops.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
They've also made a bunch of proud statements about how good the soft top is, with the fancy materials and insulation and all that. People have remarked that it's quieter inside with the top up than a Cayman is. They may well have decided that it's simply redundant and provides no value to put a hard top on.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,273 Posts
I had a hardtop on the Spitfire that was actually quite nice. And I know the previous Boxsters had optional hardtops. However, the new ragtop is miles ahead of these old cloth tops in that they have integrated roof panels, isolations etc.

Given that it is reducing the top weight compared to a hard top folding roof (and I think even lowers COG compared to it's fixed roof sibling, although I could be wrong), and the hassle of installing and taking off a hardtop, I like the current solution better than an extra hardtop.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I'll be interested to see how long Porsche keeps the ragtop, given all the closest competitors switching to retractable hardtops.
Not sure if this will ever come true... It may kill the Cayman and severely impact the Targa.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Also in the ridiculous words of Rolls Royce as to why they don't make hard tops, particularly for the Drophead Coupe:

"Our clients enjoy the visceral sound of the piter pater of the rain hitting the soft top which would be unnatural to create should we have made a hardtop"...

Maybe not a perfect quote but similar bs...

I think it would be cool to have a hardtop accessory as they have with Boxsters in the past. Hard top convertibles are easier in concept than practice in part due to the more complex mechanisms and often times space required to store the tops. It would be a shame to have awkwardly raised haunches (like the is250/350c). They would have to design the car around the hard top to make it work I think. I also agree with the above statement about redundancy with the Cayman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't think with this generation there is the need for a hardtop.

I had one for my 986 and I've got to say that the 981 soft top is quieter and much better sealed than my older hardtop. The center magnesium panel provides a nice solid feel and the new triple insulation keeps 981 much warmer in the winter (well at least here in the temperate weather of CA.

Also, on the 986 gen, there was a plastic rear window vs the glass one with the heating element on the 981.

I also got to say, it was a PITA to install that hardtop, you needed a second person to help or you have to invest in a fancy lift rig for the garage.

Cheers

-Sam

Reactions: rjpeaks and Mike R.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If there was a hard top option, it would end up like my Wrangler Unlimited dual top version. Put the hardtop on and take it off (year one), put it on take it off (year two), put it on leave it on (year three +)...

having the the softop only has me taking the top down when it is 40 degrees...and it feels great

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Two reasons as I see it - (1) The Boxster soft top is very good and (2) Porsche makes a Cayman.

I had a friend who had an old Mercedes SL with an optional hardtop. The hardtop was a pain in the but to put on and take off. He hardly ever used it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I also got to say, it was a PITA to install that hardtop, you needed a second person to help or you have to invest in a fancy lift rig for the garage.

-Sam
The last removable hardtop I had (1970 Fiat 124 Spyder) was more than a PITA as I had no garage and had to carry it down stairs to store it in my basement.

And when BMW went to a retractable hardtop for the 2nd generation Z4, the car gained an unnecessary 300 lbs. and lost half of the trunk space when the top was down.

Either you like open air driving and own a Boxster, or you prefer a coupe and buy a Cayman. Sort of like the choice between chocolate and vanilla ice cream...

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If there was a hard top option, it would end up like my Wrangler Unlimited dual top version. Put the hardtop on and take it off (year one), put it on take it off (year two), put it on leave it on (year three +)...
This is interesting to me as I'm considering getting one of those. I assumed I'd just take it off in the spring and put it back on when the snow comes every year. Is that not the case? Is it just too much of a hassle or do you not enjoy driving the Wrangler with the top down? I know it's quite a bit more involved than just pressing a button so maybe people just don't bother?

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
I've always been a fan of optional hardtops. I think many cars, like S2000's, e85 z4's, 986B's look better with a hardtop.

Asthetically (assuming they got the hardtop right), I think a 981B with a hardtop would top a 981B softtop and even perhaps a 981C!

If there was such an option I might even make the move to a 981B:crazy:

If you can not drive the B with the top down (ask Subshooter as to TD weather extremes:dance:) leave it parked. LG is not a DD for sure so she has no interest in a HTop.

And I have heard about the issues of adding same so why go there IMHO. Buy a C if its a DD and you live N (or S to those in the other half) of 35 degrees latitude .;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used the hardtop on my 986.2 during the winter months. I loved the looks, how quiet it made the cabin, and how it protected the fabric roof from the snow and road salt. I had virtually no creeks or rattles from the roof. I looked for a reasonably priced hardtop for my 987.2, but they were very difficult to find. If the 981 had a hardtop as an option, I'd purchase one simply for the looks and to protect the fabric top from the winter elements.

·
Registered
978 Posts
All the hardtops I've seen had a lot of creeks and rattles from the panels/weather stripping and body flex.
True statement. I had a Mercedes with a folding hard top that creeked like a boat! I guess the boxster has little room for folding hard top due to the engine compartment.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I certainly don't wish for a hardtop. The 981 top is fantastic. There has been no issues driving in cold weather as far as warmth in the cabin. Mine is not left out to get snowed or rained on, if you had to leave it outside and exposed I guess I could see the hardtop thing but a car cover would be cheaper and easier to take off and on and store. And you could always just get a Cayman in that case.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Personally, I’ve never liked the look of hardtops. They always look a little “tacked-on” to me, as if the car is wearing a hat. :) The distance between the top of the side window and the top of the roof always looks too large. The sole exception may be on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gen Miatas and the R129 series Mercedes SL’s. Seeing a hardtop on the S2000 positively makes me cringe.

The soft top on the boxster is really very nice. Not only are the sound and weather insulation good, but the shape of the roof is very well done, especially considering that the 986 and 987 Boxster soft tops had quite awkward proportions. And after a string of awkward rooflines on the Cayenne and Panamera, Porsche designers really nailed the roofline on the 981 Boxster. I don’t quite see the appeal of a hardtop on the 981, from either an aesthetic or practical aspect.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Had a great hardtop on both my Z3's. I actually enjoyed driving with the hard top over driving with the roof up. It was well-engineered, looked better than the soft top (when up) and provided a lot of protection.

It did require two people to mount, but it looked great on the car.
BLKCAR.JPG

It also took a lot of space up in the garage.

I asked my dealer about getting a hard top for the 981 and he indicated that they will not be made (by Porsche) and that he had a bunch of 986/987 hard tops that people had simply "left" at the dealership, because they were a pain.

I suspect I would still like one for the 981, but the soft top is light years ahead of the Z3! It's quiet, keeps out the snow and rain and generally seems like it does not "need" a winter top.

The other advantage of not having a top is the ability to take the top down on those occasional 60 degree days in late Feb/March - I used to hate driving with the hard top on those days in the Z3.

Oh yeah, and the aftermarket for used hard tops is not great either. My Z3's is still sitting in my basement.

·
Registered
492 Posts
There are certainly some that do but that doesn't mean that those make up enough demand. I have no interest in hard tops for my convertibles but it's a matter of personal preference and mileage does vary on the matter.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Two reasons as I see it - (1) The Boxster soft top is very good and (2) Porsche makes a Cayman.

I had a friend who had an old Mercedes SL with an optional hardtop. The hardtop was a pain in the but to put on and take off. He hardly ever used it.
Gfspencer makes an excellent point. The soft top is outstanding on the 981. People who have driven with me can't believe how nice it is. I am astounded myself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts