Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my new 981 I find the tires remarkably quiet when pushing corners hard. My other (non sport) cars make a lot of squeal. What makes this car so quiet? Even breaking loose the backend with throttle doesn't produce much noise.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
How many miles have you got on it? I've found in the past on other cars that brand new tires don't squeal until they're scrubbed in a bit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
On my new 981 I find the tires remarkably quiet when pushing corners hard. My other (non sport) cars make a lot of squeal. What makes this car so quiet? Even breaking loose the backend with throttle doesn't produce much noise.
Push harder :) Do you have PTV?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
heh. Once you're sliding... pushing harder isn't gonna do much. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 2000 miles on it. I can assure you the rears are scrubbed in :)

One thing I always liked about driving top down is that you can hear the tires better. Gives you more surface information.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What tires are you running? I've found that my GY F1s are pretty quiet when they let go. I usually see the dash flashing before I hear anything.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It depends on the tire compound or the wear rating. The stickier they are the less they are going to tell you musically where their limit is. The squealing tires while not as fast in a corner can be a lot of fun by trying to modulate the squeal to a consistent note all the way through the apex. A great teaching tool.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Theory with all due respect: maybe the car has bigger stones than you (and me) do? The 981 is almost counterintuitive for how hard you can push it around an exit ramp. Any normal car would spin while the 981 holds and still asks for a lot more.

This car is a superhero that defies normal logic and physics (Superman music playing in background)!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Pzeroes from delivery. Never heard it squeal yet.
I have the same tires. They squealed at turn # 10 at Sebring all the time. I changed to Yoko's just for the track and they also squeal all the time in turn # 10. At least they are talking and saying to me there is something wrong. I dropped the cold pressure to 27, no change. I must be going to fast or I need to do an alignment for the track.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Do you live in a cold part of the country? If the ambient temperature falls significantly below 40 degrees, your tires will become hard and are less likely to squeal.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
The other day I twisted my car around enough to make the traction control come on. No squeal whatsoever. :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The other day I twisted my car around enough to make the traction control come on. No squeal whatsoever. :(
Just to make SURE I went out and slid through corners. No squeal. Then to be double sure I did it again about ten times.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I took my CGTS (on PZero) out to the track recently and noticed less tire squeal compare to other cars with street tires. But there were some. I too thought maybe I wasn't pushing it hard it enough.

·
Registered
507 Posts
sqealing depends on two different things. How hard your tires are, and how rough/smooth the driving surface is.

tradituationally, sticky tires on a smooth surface will squeal
Hard tires tend to squeal on both smooth and not so smooth surfaces
soft tires wont squeal on a not so smooth surface.

Also, warm tires tend to squeal but if you're drifting, overheated tires wont squeal as much..

its a finiky subject, your tires are probably pretty soft because they're new, this is probably why they dont squeal.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I had PZero and they squealed like a pig when slide. You're not driving hard enough and/or you allowed the PSM to kick in.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had PZero and they squealed like a pig when slide. You're not driving hard enough and/or you allowed the PSM to kick in.
I've tried every setting and mode of sliding... Silent. Fine by me but unexpected. My Volvo squeals at half the cornering speed☺

1 - 20 of 20 Posts