Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just online building my future cayman and began wondering if I should upgrade the wheels. I have always liked the CS II wheels or the Carrera Classic. However, would I not be better off to take the stock wheels and pocket the 4k and buy a set of aftermarket Champions or OEM from Porsche at a later date and have the stock rims for winter use or sell or track etc.?

Am I missing something with this stategy?

Cheers
Mav

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Not a bad strategy if you know in advance that you are going to want a second set of wheels for winter/snow or track tires. The question really is whether you can buy the OEM wheels you're interested in, for less than the cost of them as an optional upgrade.

You can frequently find some pretty good deals on lightly used OEM Porsche wheels in the Classifieds here, or from sponsor WheelEnhancement.com - they also sell replicas for significantly less than the new OEMs. Your idea probably makes even more sense if you are thinking about an aftermarket wheel as your primary wheel choice.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
if you're likely to swap out the stock wheels... and based on your comments, I think you are... then I wouldn't opt for expensive ones from Porsche.

I'm going to swap mine out when it is time for new tires.... IMO, other than the TPC turbo there are relatively few cosmetic mods the Cayman can use... wheels are one of them..

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think your idea of buying separate wheels is good. In my opinion, quality aftermarket wheels are better value than OEM. OEM can be had at good value from classifieds on this site - if you prefer their look, and can find just what you want.

My advice would be to buy aftermarket at the same time you buy the car, or within a week or two. It is too easy to later decide to save the money if you don't - and then you're stuck with base wheels. (But then, this just be my own personal pyschology).

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
It's an excellent strategy & exactly what I did back in '06 when I ordered my CS with the oem 18" wheels. I wanted 19" Classics for the street so bought a new car take off set. I have used the oem 18s for the track. I realized a significant savings in the process. Now, with greater supply and hence lower prices for used oem wheels, your savings will be even more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the website 3,800 for the CS II and 4,300 for the Carrera Classic. The Dealer can't be selling them aftermarket for much more if any.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
According to the website 3,800 for the CS II and 4,300 for the Carrera Classic. The Dealer can't be selling them aftermarket for much more if any.
U.S. costs $1900

Canadian costs $2650

Those numbers are from the Porsche configuration site, checked both. Where you getting the numbers from? The highest price wheels are the Turbo's at $3330 CND

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
try checking the canadian configurator and you will see a significant difference...

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Was looking at the CS, v.s. C. See it now....;) Couldn't figure it out cuz I bought the Classics, thought that was a steep jump from MY08. Anyhow, as others stated save the money and get yourself another set......

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The US site now has the Carrera Classics at $3175 to upgrade over the stock wheel! Something must be screwed up because I thought they were $1900 too. PM me if you want a set because I might be selling mine soon.

Edit: I messed up and started with the Cayman 17" wheel. Upgrading the Cayman S wheel to the CC is $1940.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
The US site now has the Carrera Classics at $3175 to upgrade over the stock wheel! Something must be screwed up because I thought they were $1900 too. PM me if you want a set because I might be selling mine soon.

Edit: I messed up and started with the Cayman 17" wheel. Upgrading the Cayman S wheel to the CC is $1940.
The bigger diff in price is that the OP is specing out a Cayman..........not a S. Check out the two configurator prices. And that $3175 makes no sense either, I looked last night it was $1900.....:crazy:

·
Borlafide member of Northeast Group
789 Posts
I've noticed this when I spec'd out by cayman....seems porsche cuts you a deal on wheels, the more expensive the car the cheaper the wheel options become.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts