Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, how is it possible that the 2.7 of the 981 sounds better than the 3.0 of the 911 Carrera S? Does turbo affect?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I never liked the sound of the “real” Turbo (3.8), 3.0 aka 991.2 or 992 doesn’t make it better for me, atmospheric is the way to go for sound experience ... (for a flat6). whether the 2.7 sound better than the 3.4 or 3.8 or 4.0 depends on exhaust (PSE, catless headers), and rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never liked the sound of the “real” Turbo (3.8), 3.0 aka 991.2 or 992 doesn’t make it better for me, atmospheric is the way to go for sound experience ... (for a flat6). whether the 2.7 sound better than the 3.4 or 3.8 or 4.0 depends on exhaust (PSE, catless headers), and rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So are you meaning that the 981 2.7 with PSE equipped sounds better than a S or GTS 981? I heard this so many time on the forum, how it is possible that a 2.7 can be louder than a 3.4?

And another question;

In this video it seems that the turbo has more echo, is it a turbo thing?

Because I can't hear echo in this video.

·
Registered
49 Posts
my understanding is 2.7 sounds better than the 3.4 because it is tuned to deliver as much power as possible. whereas 3.4 is detuned on the 981.

turbos are generally worse than NA cars for obvious reasons (turbo takes energy off the exhaust flow and interrupts the harmonics, hence less sound)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So are you meaning that the 981 2.7 with PSE equipped sounds better than a S or GTS 981? I heard this so many time on the forum, how it is possible that a 2.7 can be louder than a 3.4?

And another question;

In this video it seems that the turbo has more echo, is it a turbo thing?

Because I can't hear echo in this video.
The echo in the first video is probably because it is in a city street with high buildings either side; the second one is in more open territory with few reflective surfaces.

Speaking of which, how did that first guy not get ticketed for driving like that in the middle of a city center shopping area??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts