Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The WAF of my base 987.1 Cayman is low. She is not a fan of the "harsh" ride. Are there any options to soften the ride. I also plan to continue doing HPDE events, so that is something to consider too. Don't need a full track set up or anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You could switch to 17” wheels, unless you already have those. In which case no, there’s not really anything you can do.

·
Registered
800 Posts
As secta mentioned, going to 17s will help some or changing to stock suspension if currently on coilovers etc or change wife? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car has stock suspension, and came with 2 sets of 18” wheels. Guess she’ll just have to get over it.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S, Sport Chrono
15 Posts
Has she driven the car? She might appreciate the suspension if she understands the magic that gets delivered to the driver.

If she complains even after driving it, then it’s Plan D... turn up the stereo so you can’t hear her. 🎼🎼🎼😀

·
Registered
142 Posts
The factory sachs dampers are a bit harsh for the sake of feeling sporty. Switching to a Bilstein or Koni would improve the ride quality and make the car more compliant on the track.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I agree to take her car. Even with 20 clicks from stiff to lesson the rebound and gitter on Ohlins on back country roads. Even with this the car simply is not complient on these roads. So she complains. Her car is a Audi Avant, which has a comfortable ride. So, for a number of reasons we take her car. She also complains about the throttle application.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can smooth out the ride quite a bit by careful driving. Scan the cracks in the street constantly for the smoothest spots and don’t feel like you have to drive centered in the lane like you’re on rails.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I do swerve to miss potholes and manhole covers, but on a section of back country chip seal roads, its impossible to see every bump. I think it's more the swaybars than the springs/shock settings as they amplify the bump to the other side. I'm not willing to change those setting as it took a while to really appreciate the car balance f to r taking out the inherent under steer, yet not allowing snap oversteer with the ATB LSD. Just a couple of days ago, on a freeway on ramp in the wet, I did have a slight tail wag with full throttle. I think this was due to running the Michelin MP4S's at 28 lbs during the winter allowing more sidewall flex.

·
Registered
104 Posts
maybe considering upgrading to a newer model. then you can keep the car.

just kidding and I do understand. my girl rode from LA to Sonoma and back in my 981S on coilovers, monoball suspension bits and Borla exhaust. that was 3 years ago, and she has not been in the car since that trip. too noisy, too bumpy, and it made her nauseous.

·
Registered
2015 Cayman
28 Posts
It’s been said before, but your wife has no business telling you what kind of car you should drive. Converse, I hope you don’t tell her what car she can drive. My wife has her Accord and I have my Cayman S 981. Live and let live is our motto.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Trade it on a Panamera. Depends on who is driving. If the wife drives the car, then you need to make it comfy, the opposite of HPDE ride. Not many suspension systems can accomplish both cushy ride and stiff sprung/shocks valved to these spring rates. Panamera is too heavy for the track, wrong tool for this job, but maybe a good fit for the wife.
Spring rates, compression/rebound of the shocks, adjustable sway bars, wider wheels and tires, brake cooling ducts, more power through the exhaust and long tube catless headers, throttle body, software ECU updates, stiffer motor mounts and transmission mounts.
Even Ohlin R&T's cannot please both these directions. Sorry, you are on your own. Trade other stuff to make her happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I drove tens of thousands of miles together in my 987.1 Boxster with stock suspension and optional 18" wheels. We both thought the ride was much better than a Miata we previously owned. As far as sports cars go, yours is not generally seen to be rough-rider, assuming it remains stock.
Maybe your wife just isn't into sports cars, and that is sad for you. It is unlikely that you can fundamentally change the Cayman to please her, and you'll probably ruin it if you try. Any change you make to soften it for her sake will make it perform worse in performance driving events.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts