Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but perhaps someone knows the definitive, or even most probable, answer. Can we order the 2016 Cayman GTS in 6-cyl. naturally aspirated form? I have not been having success with any 2016 allocation locally and am patiently waiting. However, given Porsche's recent announcement that it is going to 4-cyl. turbos in 2016, I asked whether a 6-cyl. NA will be available at all in a CGTS. There seems to be some confusion on that. Does anyone know or have a line on the answer from Stuttgart?
Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I doubt anyone would know.

Purely as a random guess ... Given the GTS is nothing more than just a regular Cayman S with a few interior options included as standard and a few more HP, I would imagine the GTS would merely follow whatever the other Cayman and Boxsters are doing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but perhaps someone knows the definitive, or even most probable, answer. Can we order the 2016 Cayman GTS in 6-cyl. naturally aspirated form? I have not been having success with any 2016 allocation locally and am patiently waiting. However, given Porsche's recent announcement that it is going to 4-cyl. turbos in 2016, I asked whether a 6-cyl. NA will be available at all in a CGTS. There seems to be some confusion on that. Does anyone know or have a line on the answer from Stuttgart?
Thanks,
Tony
I just ordered my Cayman GTS a few weeks ago, and it will be a 2016 with the existing flat 6. Apparently, as you're seeing, allocations are extremely difficult - my dealer showed me there were 4 total allocations through July for all of the US.

The real question is when do they switch from 6- to 4-cyl turbos - when it will really happen? And will there be more allocations of the flat 6 before they switch over? I think you need to have your SA figure that out.

·
Registered
475 Posts
yes, you can order a MY2016 Cayman GTS now. The configurator web site is for MY2016 and all are flat 6 NA engines.

The turbo4 engines will not start to be produced until mid 2016 as MY2017.

Not positive, but indications are that all Boxsters/Caymans will go with the turbo4 engine. Only the GT4 Cayman will continue with the flat6 NA.

So you basically have about 1 year left to get a NA flat6 Cayman GTS - find an allocation - get it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I thought the facelift will be as 2017 model late summer/fall 2016. You got about 1 year to order to an NA engine...

Surprised it's still not possible to get GTS allocation... My local dealer has a few boxster gts slots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt anyone would know.

Purely as a random guess ... Given the GTS is nothing more than just a regular Cayman S with a few interior options included as standard and a few more HP, I would imagine the GTS would merely follow whatever the other Cayman and Boxsters are doing.
Good points. Thanks. I understand from my local dealer that 2016 production orders should be opening soon - thus my concern now. So my less wordy question should be simply: In 2016, will NA 6 cylinder Caymans/Boxsters be available, or will they all be 4 cylinder turbos?

IOW, are NA 6-cylinder Caymans/Boxsters (except the GT-4 and Spyder, perhaps) things of the past?

Given Chairman Muller's recent announcement about 4-cylinders in 2016 and the recent spyshots on the net of 4-cylinder Boxster test mules in Germany, I'd guess someone in Stuttgart, and at Porsche NA, knows the answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered my Cayman GTS a few weeks ago, and it will be a 2016 with the existing flat 6. Apparently, as you're seeing, allocations are extremely difficult - my dealer showed me there were 4 total allocations through July for all of the US.

The real question is when do they switch from 6- to 4-cyl turbos - when it will really happen? And will there be more allocations of the flat 6 before they switch over? I think you need to have your SA figure that out.

Thanks! Between you and Monkeyboy (whom I was hoping would reply and not just for his Avatar:)), I think I have my answer. My request for a spot has been in for quite a while and I am having discussions with the GM, who has been great. The limited allocation has me concerned though. Guess my regular emails should continue!

·
Registered
737 Posts
According to Porsche's own websites, they certainly are available :). Bank on the 2016s to be the last of great flat sixes before the switch to turbo fours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to Porsche's own websites, they certainly are available :). Bank on the 2016s to be the last of great flat sixes before the switch to turbo fours.
Thanks! I'll keep you posted as to what happens with my dealer.

PS This is a great site. Another site, which shall remain nameless, posted no replies to the same question. Seems this is the place for Cayman/Boxster 981/987, etc. info.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Thanks,
Tony
No direct line to Stuttgart, but my quest has led me to believe the following regarding BGTS and CGTS car for the 2016 model year: Right now both are orderable with the 3.4l flat-6 NA, the question is will it be for the entire model year or will this be a short run, there has been talk that they have a low number of GTS allocations projected so if this is the car you want get in now (they may need to shut down the line early to re-tool for the new engines). Also fairly well accepted, the 2017's will be mostly turbo-4's, both the base and S models, no confirmation on the GTS, possibly a smaller displacement turbo-6 (3.0l)?. The only 981.2's available with a NA flat-6 will be the GT4 and the Spyder and they are very limited. Maybe in the future there could be a GTx that has a flat-6 but who really knows. :gossip:

As always speculation abounds, no one knows for sure until Porsche announces it, so until then all is subject to change, so I felt it was fairly certain that if I wanted to be sure of a NA flat-6 in a Boxster GTS (no Spyder for me), that I had to jump now...

So, officially made the 'D', joined the waiters club last Wednesday when I handed over they keys to my 2013 Boxster S and signed the order for a 2016 Boxster GTS with that 3.4l flat-6 and a 6MT! :banana:

·
Registered
475 Posts
You say your request has been in for awhile?? If you dealer is not able to get you an allocation with a real order number - you should move on to another dealer.
I heard of some delaers who may give you a price, then string you along only to never be able to get an actual allocation.
When I placed my order, dealer promised that they had an open allocation. I put down a few grand deposit and got a firm order number the next day.
With few allocations available in general and time running out on flat 6 engines - I'd move quickly to get an order in.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It may be that the GT4 and Boxster Spyder demand are cutting into GTS orders and Porsche may cut back on GTS to increase GT4 and Spyder production

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
You say your request has been in for awhile?? If you dealer is not able to get you an allocation with a real order number - you should move on to another dealer.
I heard of some delaers who may give you a price, then string you along only to never be able to get an actual allocation.
When I placed my order, dealer promised that they had an open allocation. I put down a few grand deposit and got a firm order number the next day.
With few allocations available in general and time running out on flat 6 engines - I'd move quickly to get an order in.
Agreed, if they can't or won't provide you a printout that has the 'Commission Number' which is a six digit number beginning with '0' then you don't have an allocation spot with subsequent build into PAG.

It may be that the GT4 and Boxster Spyder demand are cutting into GTS orders and Porsche may cut back on GTS to increase GT4 and Spyder production
I am not so sure about this, the GT4 and Spyder certainly take up spots on the production line, but they have many parts that are not even found on the regular Base/S/GTS, this and Porsche's desire to keep the exclusivity of these models high and with a premium price would IMHO serve to be a more important limiting production factor. Even though the GTS is more common then these last 2, I think they still want them a little higher up the hierarchy then the Base and S.

Porsche likes to market models and features to a discriminating buyer, they base options (even referring to them as exclusive in the configurator) on contributing to this model, they carefully meter out the models and their numbers to keep the line full but not overrun and the profits high!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
My dealer is still able to order everything in flat-6 engine for 2016MY. So looks like the turbos won't be coming in till late 2016. That said, if you ask me to pick one, the GTS is gonna get whatever engine the lower models get later as well. The whole concept of GTS is to take an "S" model (both Cayman and 911) and add a few more HP while keeping most of the car practically the same. Hard to see Porsche making the GTS an exception -- this is purely my guess.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I visited my local dealer today and my sales guy said there would be no new CGTS allocations for MY2016 in the U.S. Period. Apparently, all the build slots have been taken already.

He said he heard that news today from his management as he has been trying to locate me an allocation.

Anyone hearing same or is this a bunch of crap? I'd build a CS, but I'd much rather have the CGTS.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would think all GTS buyer would go for the GT4 and if not available the Spyder. The 3.8L was a dream for so long and I'm sure the driving experience is in a different league compared to the GTS. I'd say you guy should jump on it before all of the allocations are gone.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would think all GTS buyer would go for the GT4 and if not available the Spyder. The 3.8L was a dream for so long and I'm sure the driving experience is in a different league compared to the GTS. I'd say you guy should jump on it before all of the allocations are gone.
Disagree. I was finalizing my order for my GTS and I knew (we all did) the Spyder would be announced only days later. That top was always going to be a deal breaker for me, even if they stuck in a 4.7L V8 amidships, and I am quite certain based on this forum alone that I am not the only one.

Also, and for this I may be alone, but I think the Spyder is a lot less good looking than the standard car, roof up or down.

Reactions: Westcoaster

·
Registered
737 Posts
I visited my local dealer today and my sales guy said there would be no new CGTS allocations for MY2016 in the U.S. Period. Apparently, all the build slots have been taken already.

He said he heard that news today from his management as he has been trying to locate me an allocation.

Anyone hearing same or is this a bunch of crap? I'd build a CS, but I'd much rather have the CGTS.

Thanks,

Jeff
I'm still not buying it. Maybe your SA is saying that their particular dealership is unable to score an allocation for an order, and any allocation they do have is already spoken for, but I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that many other dealers have allocations and are waiting for a customer to take them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm still not buying it. Maybe your SA is saying that their particular dealership is unable to score an allocation for an order, and any allocation they do have is already spoken for, but I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that many other dealers have allocations and are waiting for a customer to take them.

It's obviously all speculation at this point - but as I said, my SA showed me the actual available CGTS slots, and there were only 4 through July. I know the factory shuts down (like most of Europe!) for August holidays, so it may have been part of the standard allocation game. But right now we know the following items are no longer available for ordering at some point in the next 6 months or so:
- Dark Blue Metallic exterior
- Pebble partial interior
- Pebble full interior
- Yachting blue interior

Seems unlikely they would discontinue these options and replace them 6 - 12 months before the new model was due out - so in my mind it sure looks like the ramping down of the current 981s. Time will tell.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
You are forgetting some facts here:
1) Manual vs PDK. Not everybody wants a manual.
2) Coupe vs convertible. So if you want a coupe (GT4) and its not available not everybody will jump onto a convertible (Spyder).
3) It isn't always all about the bigger engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts