Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So leaving for a conference to Vancouver and car will be garaged from 3 June till 16 June.

Will the battery be fine when I return?
What can I do to prevent battery going flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
You should be fine BUT....it really depends on the age of your battery. If it's more than 3 years old I'd be concerned. I routinely hook mine up to a battery maintainer (currently using a Sears version bought for about $25) if I'm not going to drive it for a few days. But that's me and I do it because it easy for me to just plug it in. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
My car has patiently waited 3 weeks without a visit from me and then fired up strong when prodded. I don't forsee an issue if your battery is healthy.

Edit: I always lock my car, especially if I anticipate it sitting for any great period. My SA told me early on the car consumes a lot of juice when unlocked.

·
Registered
115 Posts
How can I confirm the battery health?

Depending which model you have, you should be able to see the voltage in the Instrument cluster, you want it around 14 or greater. Your car should have also came with a battery maintainer if you bought it new. Take look, its called a charge-o-mat

·
Registered
556 Posts
The battery in my 2010 S died in a matter of days fortunately in my driveway. When I went to replace it I got the correct model #for a 2010 and it was an inch to long for the mounting clamp. There was an optional hole available but was not threaded so I took it back, turns out it was a 2009 S battery that fit correctly. Looks like the Moll likes to kick the bucket about year 5.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Battery age in relation to the quality of the battery often tells a lot. I've never gotten less than 10 years (!!!) out of the biggest, nastiest, most expensive Interstate battery I can cram into whatever I'm driving. (981s with stop/start function, however, require a special kind of battery that I have no experience replacing.)

·
Registered
773 Posts
"Your car should have also came with a battery maintainer if you bought it new"

Really? I didn't get one last year (Or I've not found it yet...<grin>)

Ricky

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Even if it doesn't go flat, which it probably will, it will suffer loss of life anytime it is deeply discharged.

Get a Ctek 4.3. I bought the complete kit on Amazon for $99.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Why is everyone trying to scare the OP?

It's not a 2010 car with an old fashioned battery but a modern AGM battery,
He's not in the middle of the winter with the car sitting in 20F temperatures,
AGM batteries do not react the same way when deeply discharged as flooded batteries, and
He can't use a CTEK 4.3 because his electric isn't 110.

OP, if I were you I'd get one of these Amazon.com: CTEK 56-305 MXS 5.0 European 220V Battery Charger: Automotive ONLY to be safe. But it might be fine considering the AGM battery and your temperatures w/out it. YMMV. Let us know how it works out. :)

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
{blink} Everyone?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

AGM batteries do not react the same way when deeply discharged as flooded batteries, and

OP, if I were you I'd get one of these Amazon.com: CTEK 56-305 MXS 5.0 European 220V Battery Charger: Automotive ONLY to be safe. But it might be fine considering the AGM battery and your temperatures w/out it. YMMV. Let us know how it works out. :)
And we're supposed to know this because......??? There is nothing in the OP's comment or profile to give us this info. You must have info the rest of us aren't privy too.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
All lead acid auto batteries - repeat (that means 'read this' for those of u who have no battery chemistry knowledge) - ALL LEAD ACID AUTO BATTERIES - will suffer PERMANENT loss of life each and every time they are are deeply discharged. Every battery expert knows this. No engineer or chemist expert has been able to circumvent this fact.

Go ahead - run that Diehard battery test. But each time you do, your battery will suffer permanent lots of life. You are that much closer to replacing your battery even if u can recharge it and use it as usual.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
"Your car should have also came with a battery maintainer if you bought it new"

Really? I didn't get one last year (Or I've not found it yet...<grin>)
Same here, I want my supposedly free maintainer (though I own a full-on battery charger). Granted, the dealer also couldn't submit paperwork properly to the DMV and bank either. =P

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

My country voltage is 220v.
Although we in Winter, the temps where I live rarely go below 15 Celsius.

What about if I disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just remember that the battery is located in the frunk and the frunk release is operated electronically with power from ... the battery. Hmmm.

I have a 2008 and I've learned from experience that if my car sits for 2 weeks (which rarely happens--it's my daily driver) I will pop the funk before trying to start the car. Then I'll try to start it; if it doesn't start then it goes on the 6 amp charger for half an hour or a friend will give me a jump.

If you don't pop the frunk first and starting fails, you will have drained the battery even more and might not have enough power to even operate the electronic trunk latch (ask me how I know!). At that point you wait 10 minutes for the battery to recover from the failed start and try to unlock the funk again (success in my case!). If that still doesn't work you'll be hooking your power supply up to the terminal located in the driver footwell circuit box or (if you have a model older than 2008) trying to hook something up to the cigarette lighter to power the frunk lock.

That said... with only 2 weeks and in a reasonably warm environment you should have no problem at all. Still wouldn't hurt to pop the frunk first though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts