Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read an article about Volkswagen's analysis of the Porsche franchise. Too many 911 types, Cayenne definitely questionable, and Boxster/Cayman sales not enough to justify support. They seem to prefer the 'entry' level P cars to be even lower in price--- a-la Audi TT and BMW Z4 price range.

If they decide to announce in 2010 that Croc years are down for the count, we might all be sitting on 'gems' in future years ! Ho - Ho - Ho.... Something to think about this Christmas day.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
If the Cayman is destined to become 'collectible' I will have to mothball it and finally get that 914-6 I've been dreaming of.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the Cayman is destined to become 'collectible' I will have to mothball it and finally get that 914-6 I've been dreaming of.

Chuck
914s are appreciating once again. Cayman values on the other hand, dropping fast. I bought my 07 CS used last October for $42k (fully loaded, Chrono/PASM, 19" turbo rims, etc) thinking it was the recession. Now, this same car will sell for only $34-35k! Nuts when you think the markets are only 5-10% below highs. At $35k, that would imply my 07 CS is only 50% of its Sticker price 2 years ago.
Volks management can help out by making carefully worded statements around the future production of the Cayman. At the very least, I would imagine they swap out the engines of Boxsters/Caymans to VW/Audi platforms which would also help Porsche made model years in the future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Pure Speculation

I think at this point, no decisions have been made at VW as to what models survive and what get canned. We've all read the articles on the brand new Panamera getting the axe already, but now there are rumors of a Panamera coupe and sharing the platform with Bentley and Lamborghini. The Cayenne was slated to go away since VW felt that truck was redundant, too heavy, etc. However a new Cayenne model with less off road ability but less weight and more "street" performance is slated for production.

So, keep in mind that these articles are written by journalists that are "selling their wares" and while they may have some inside information, I bet the top execs at VW don't even know what is in store for Porsche.

The Boxster and Cayman twins can almost be considered the best sports cars Porsche is building right now as far as being a driver's car. I doubt VW will can these platforms any time soon.

Also, the top dog at VW, Piech, is an old school Porsche guy himself. So, I doubt he's going to let the Porsche brand suffer under VW's watch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Seriously doubt that they'll be collector cars...

I think AT BEST they would become like ferarri 308's-- a unique, perhaps indestructible, cheap affordable classic first porsche sought after in 10-25 years by young guys who like classic sports cars. (but they won't be iconic like the f308's though..)

C's wont be sought after as much as CS's obviously-- unless in retrospect we discover that long term viability/durability of DFI is ****, in that case maybe the non-DFI's will be more desirable. Who knows.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What I've heard is VW wants to bring out an entry level priced Boxster type car with their 4 cyl. turbo in it rated at 195 hp in a light weight body around 2400 lbs. Price range starting at $25K. Haven't heard if this signals the end of the higher priced Boxster Cayman line but I would tend to doubt it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Haven't heard if this signals the end of the higher priced Boxster Cayman line but I would tend to doubt it.
I agree. I think there are too many buyers (like myself) that don't want a cheap car and will pay a bit more for higher build quality, more sophisticated suspension feel, a normally aspirated flat six, better computer programming in the engine management and a bit more exclusivity. Go drive a more inexpensive performance oriented sports car like a GTI or a Civic Si and you notice huge differences in all of the items I listed above. Any $25k Porsche will also have these deficiencies in engine management, suspension, build quality/materials, etc., as compared to our current Boxsters/Caymans.

While I would hate to see VW dilute Porsche by building a ton of cheap cars, the cheap cars can help add profitablility (via volume) which allows Porsche to spend more money developing the upper level cars as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just read an article about Volkswagen's analysis of the Porsche franchise. Too many 911 types, Cayenne definitely questionable, and Boxster/Cayman sales not enough to justify support. They seem to prefer the 'entry' level P cars to be even lower in price--- a-la Audi TT and BMW Z4 price range.

If they decide to announce in 2010 that Croc years are down for the count, we might all be sitting on 'gems' in future years ! Ho - Ho - Ho.... Something to think about this Christmas day.
our crocs on the endangered species list ? survival of the fittest as Darwin said years and years ago.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
No to both: they won't go away and won't be collector cars - at least for a long time.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Whether it is or isn't made ina few years is fine with me. I have mine already. Same thing happened with the S2000. I have mine so I am happy.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just came back from a CS drive before the rain/sleet hit New Jersey. Tach hit 7k joining the Highway in 2nd gear and I'd swear cars jumped lanes in disbelief at the noise! Not the same low rumble as Vettes and Subies, but the high pitched sound of a high revving race engine.
Will Caymans last ? If VW does launch the $25k car and decides to move the 911 engine further from the rear axle.. stick a fork in the Cayman we know today.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Evolution not extinction ..the croc will evolve into a stronger specie and will take on its adversaries.thats how the croc will survive.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
What I find interesting is that over all the years of folks "handicapping" the past, present, and future condition of Porsche, people continually apply the logic of Porsche as a mass marketer and seller of cars, which is not the case. Things that work for Toyota, Honda, Ford, and even VW just do not apply. Porsche is still and probably will be for a long time, a niche player in the great scheme of things. One of, if not the most, important parts of that niche is the superior brand recognition and equity Porsche has built up over the years. I doubt Herr Piech, being a long-time Porsche guy himself, and a member of the family, will do much, if anything to ruin that, considering how many years it has taken to build that particular brand equity and mystique.

On the other hand, I doubt Caymans will ever become collector items. Too many of them were built.

brad

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
My two cents worth (before inflation) I think the Cayman and Boxster will last. I have heard that the next model will have the Audi 2l engine for fuel standard considerations. I have also heard that Porsche has been testing a mid engine race car (they need one for ALMS GT2). The rear engine race car is about as developed as it can be for that series. This coming year BMW will be tougher, Corvette will have more tweaking, and the "F" car always competitive. Now for the Cayenne, fuel mileage is an issue with new fuel standards yet Porsche gets almost 50% of its worldwide profits from the Cayenne. Markets other than the US are buying them in bunches. The Panamera, only time will tell. Right now it is selling well but will it continue after the new wears off.

Brad: you said it well

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would really be disappointed if there is a $25k porsche. To me, porsche's are high end cars that appeal to people of a certain income. If they make a car that is in honda accord territory, they would cease to be a seller of high end cars. I like the fact that porsche has a certain niche. I think a lot of current porshcephiles would be seriously turned off from the brand if they considered this.

If i recall correctly, there were rumors of an entry level ferrari a few years ago. That idea was crapped on by ferrari lovers and i think that the idea of a 25k porsche should be crapped on by porsche lovers. jmho.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
With so many journalists calling the Cayman the best car Porsche makes, or even better, the best sports car made, I seriously doubt it will be canned. I think it may be the mark's best answer to the growing competition in ALMS also. Evolution is more likely than extinction. If they were to can it, I would have a serious problem with a manufacturer I have loved so dearly for most of my life. Could I learn to loath Porsche after worshiping it for all these years? If they killed the Cayman, I might. The Cayman is what the Gmund should have become. Who needs those little back seats anyway?

·
Registered
267 Posts
VW management knows the facts, they're not going to destroy the economic value of Porsche as Porsche folds into the VW Group.

Keep in mind that Porsche has been the most profitable (per unit) car company in the world for quite some time. So profitable in fact that it is the largest shareholder in VW and was in the position a short 18 months ago to attempt to take its ownership in VW to 75%. The effort failed not because Porsche wasn't profitable, but because of the evaporation of commerical credit in late 2008.

VW is clearly not overly concerned with preventing overlap among the various models within the divisions within the group - a quick look at models and pricing makes that very clear.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Porsche is a company that keeps manufacturing a rear engined sports car despite the fact that everyone knows better where to place an engine. I don't see the company abandoning an engineering philosophy regarding the cars it makes, and I cannot see the company making a 25 or 35 grand car consistent with its engineering philosophy. I'd say the 987 platform is safe, until the 988 platform comes around.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts