Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the US Dollar continuing to rise versus the Euro one would think that price of new Porsches should be lower. Currently the exchange rate is 1.05 dollars to 1 Euro. In 2014 the exchange rate was as high as 1.40 dollars per Euro. According to this week's Barron's the Euro is expected fall even further. Possibly to as low as 0.82 dollars per Euro. Based on the falling Euro one would think that 2016 model year Porsches should be 15 to 20% lower priced than they are today. What do you think?

·
Registered
81 Posts
No, Porsche will be even more profitable in 2016!

It took them 3 years to adjust prices in Canada when the Canadian Dollar was strong.

They will make hay until it affects the bottom line.

·
Registered
728 Posts
A few days ago Porsche USA increased the price of the Macan S by $2,700, presumably for the MY16 change.

What do you think? :)
I think its basic supply and demand. The demand for the Macan is still really high.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2015 Cayman S on order for European delivery in two months. When I ordered, the exchange rate was about $1.30 to the euro. I attempted to press PCNA and my dealer for a better price, but they didn't budge (go figure). They were adamant that Porsche HQ would not lower the sticker to them, hence they could not pass along anything to me. So, I agree with others that Porsche will just take our money and profit. But at least I get a 20% discount on my European expenses!

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I'm waiting for big price increases in Canada. If it happens, I'll feel kinda stoked about getting in under the wire. :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
No, Porsche will be even more profitable in 2016!
It took them 3 years to adjust prices in Canada when the Canadian Dollar was strong.

They will make hay until it affects the bottom line.

This. Sooo much of this. OP, sorry to say, but don't expect a price drop anytime soon.

I'm waiting for big price increases in Canada. If it happens, I'll feel kinda stoked about getting in under the wire. :D
This was one of two reasons I convinced my wife to order this now (the other was me explaining how I will not pay Porsche prices for a four banger, I don't care how good it might be)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Here is article discussing how Porsche market their cars and it's all based on "the emotional that money can't buy" so the short answer whether Porsche will lower their price or not is NO

There's simply no app for emotions, says Porsche marketing boss | Marketing Magazine

Regarding the Macan, I checked with my dealer if there is a used Macan on the lot as I want to pick one up for my daughter and they said no. Matter of fact, they haven't received one turn in yet and said they had to pay over invoice to get one for them to use as demo. They current take order past July.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Porsche well be extremely reluctant to lower prices. They will be more likely to offer more incentives or better options/features/financing or incentives. But they will be very slow to do that. Brokers might enter the business with gray market cars like they did in the early to mid 1980s when the US dollar got very high vs the D-Mark. That could be interesting...

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Here is article discussing how Porsche market their cars and it's all based on "the emotional that money can't buy" so the short answer whether Porsche will lower their price or not is NO

There's simply no app for emotions, says Porsche marketing boss | Marketing Magazine
Good article. Interesting that after at least a decade, they are still referring to Proud Patrons. The Garage Queen owners must hate that moniker.

I think its basic supply and demand. The demand for the Macan is still really high.
True. But I was really referring to the MY16 change in prices.

The chances of a price cut are right up there with the chance of aliens landing on Earth. In fact, if they add the US mandated Backup cameras, expect a big price increase.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Tirerack isn't even lowering prices for Michelin tires when they are mad cheap in Europe nowadays.

Crude oil prices and EUR exchange rate have come off A LOT. Oh well, such is life.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
lol, lower prices for the next year. I think you have better luck finding a leprechaun holding a four leaf clover.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Usually when currency rates change, companies make money short term and long term should reduce price with competition, but sometimes that never happens.

Answer is no, porsche will not lower prices and they will continue to climb year-year so they keep increasing profit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tirerack isn't even lowering prices for Michelin tires when they are mad cheap in Europe nowadays.

Crude oil prices and EUR exchange rate have come off A LOT. Oh well, such is life.
Michelin does not limit their production to Europe. Many of their tires are made in the USA plus a lot of other countries.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Even currently, the Cayman GT4 in Germany costs EUR 85,000 with VAT or EUR 71,000 without VAT.
Cayman GT4 - Cayman Übersicht - Alle Porsche Modelle - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

If the euro value falls to 0.82, then the GT4 will cost $58,000 in Germany like the lesser model.
Then you can exchange your dollars to euros, pay for gas, order a container to the USA for $3,000, pay the 2.5% customs tax, and it'll be yours.

·
Know-it-all
120 Posts
Big car manufacturers use "currency hedging" to insulate themselves from currency fluctuations. The euro will need to stay depressed for a long time before it will affect car prices here.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
With the US Dollar continuing to rise versus the Euro one would think that price of new Porsches should be lower. Currently the exchange rate is 1.05 dollars to 1 Euro. In 2014 the exchange rate was as high as 1.40 dollars per Euro. According to this week's Barron's the Euro is expected fall even further. Possibly to as low as 0.82 dollars per Euro. Based on the falling Euro one would think that 2016 model year Porsches should be 15 to 20% lower priced than they are today. What do you think?

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Cheers

·
Registered
175 Posts
You'll be lucky if they're not 15 to 20% HIGHER priced

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts