Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front: 19x8.5 ET: 53
Rear: 19x12 ET: 51

They're GT3 RS OEM wheels. Now I'm running TechArt GTS 20x8.5 and 20x11 with 15mm spacers rear, no problem. But how will these RS wheels work?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah a 12" wheel is too wide for a stock body 987. Let me try to clarify.

My wheel setup
19 x 8.5 Front +39 (fender clearance maxed out)
19 x 11 Rear +44 - 7mm spacer = +37 final offset (barely clears shock and rear tire barely clearing the fender)

GT3 RS Wheels
19 x 8.5 Front +53 (will work almost identical to factory offset)
19 x 12 Rear +51 (1 inch wider inboard wheel = 25mm, +51 - 25mm - 7mm which makes this a 32mm spacer = +19 final offset)

The spacer solves your shock clearance issue, but the big problem is now you are looking at your wheel sticking out about 1 1/2 inches outside the rear fender and forcing you to use a massive 32mm spacer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot guys~~~I may just give up this idea.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah a 12" wheel is too wide for a stock body 987. Let me try to clarify.

My wheel setup
19 x 8.5 Front +39 (fender clearance maxed out)
19 x 11 Rear +44 - 7mm spacer = +37 final offset (barely clears shock and rear tire barely clearing the fender)

GT3 RS Wheels
19 x 8.5 Front +53 (will work almost identical to factory offset)
19 x 12 Rear +51 (1 inch wider inboard wheel = 25mm, +51 - 25mm - 7mm which makes this a 32mm spacer = +19 final offset)

The spacer solves your shock clearance issue, but the big problem is now you are looking at your wheel sticking out about 1 1/2 inches outside the rear fender and forcing you to use a massive 32mm spacer.
Actually only 0.8" inbord. So with a 27mm spacer this will put it at the same clearance as yours inbord. (Might also live with less clearance.)
The outer clearance will be closer to be flush with the fenders than you think.
It boils down to how much clearance are you willing to live with inbord. I did all these calculations when I was attempting to put 12" wide wheels on the rear of my S. Have been running them for a while with no problems. Not 19" but 20" dia. Stock suspension.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Actually only 0.8" inbord. So with a 27mm spacer this will put it at the same clearance as yours inbord. (Might also live with less clearance.)
The outer clearance will be closer to be flush with the fenders than you think.
It boils down to how much clearance are you willing to live with inbord. I did all these calculations when I was attempting to put 12" wide wheels on the rear of my S. Have been running them for a while with no problems. Not 19" but 20" dia. Stock suspension.
Keep in mind 20" diameter provides a bit more inboard clearance, due to the tops of the struts leaning inward. I have 19 x 11 and they are at the limit, inboard (1/8" clearance) and outboard (~flush with fender lip). IMHO, in 19" diameter, on the street, 11" is the limit. (In 20" apparently 12" can JUST be made to fit).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Keep in mind 20" diameter provides a bit more inboard clearance, due to the tops of the struts leaning inward. I have 19 x 11 and they are at the limit, inboard (1/8" clearance) and outboard (~flush with fender lip). IMHO, in 19" diameter, on the street, 11" is the limit. (In 20" apparently 12" can JUST be made to fit).
When I mounted my rear 19 x 11" wheel without the 7mm spacer, with the car jacked up, it hit my coilover, and coilovers might even be made slimmer, so I'd be very worried with stock suspension, although I do think it would clear once lowered, but that just isn't ideal. I agree with Jeff, 11" is the limit unless you go to a wide body fender kit and at that point you will need to cut your factory rear fender body on a lowered car to make the room to account for body roll. But trying to figure out if a 19 x 12" 997 wheel will work, it just is not going to fit on a stock 987.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts