Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For you that follow the Cayman in the Rolex Grand Am series, I bet the thought crossed your mind. The GX for all intent and purpose has never materialized, where is Lotus, Nissan, VW, BMW, etc.? The organizers at Grand Am have completely ignored this class, in fact it looks like to me like this class was "set up" for Mazda, one of the commentators kept tripping over himself making sure that the viewers understood that Mazda's Skyactiv technology would soon dominate, just like the rotary started shaky and ended its racing career brilliantly so would Mazda's newest offering, twice. Speedsource came on strong this time and no doubt they'll succeed as they have full factory support.

Where was Napleton Motorsports and Bullet Racing? Congratulations are in order for BGB Motorsports which won in GX with drivers Dr. Jim Norman, Jeff Mosing and Spencer Pumpelly.

The trio led all but 12 laps of the race, and Norman was two laps clear of Sylvain Tremblay in the No. 70 Speedsource Mazda 6 GX at the checkered flag. Tremblay, who drove with Tom Long, lost time with a fuel line issue.

The next Rolex Series race is the Porsche 250 at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Ala., on April 6. I would love to see the Cayman win this one more than any other.

The much "vaunted" GT class, totally dominated by Ferrari, was won by Turner Motorsports BMW M3 after the winning Ferrari was penalized due to driver error. Once again, the Cayman brought the trophy home.

From Porsche Motorsport web page:

The No. 38 BGB Motorsport Porsche Cayman driven by Rolex 24 At Daytona winner Jim Norman (Tampa, Fla.), Jeff Mosing (Austin) and Spencer Pumpelly (Atlanta) won both the pole position and the race in the GX class.

Give credit when it's due, thanks go to Porsche for mentioning the Cayman.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Shame that PCA made no mention of the Daytona win by Napleton in the most recent issue of pano that I received.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
PCA always struck me as an old man's club, and not being old, I really didn't have much interest. The few people I met that encouraged me to join were well north of the retired line. I was thrilled my first time out with NASA to see so many young people in all of the groups and races. From what I hear, even the BMWCCA (which anyone can join) is much more approachable.

·
Poverty by Porsche
511 Posts
PCA always struck me as an old man's club, and not being old, I really didn't have much interest. The few people I met that encouraged me to join were well north of the retired line. I was thrilled my first time out with NASA to see so many young people in all of the groups and races. From what I hear, even the BMWCCA (which anyone can join) is much more approachable.

I think it depends on the PCA region. The Carolina's Region is a great group of people with plenty of members in the younger aged group. I have never had an issue approaching anyone regardless of age. In fact, my experiences have been very positive with everyone bending over backward to help one another, be it DEs or Autocross or even Concours.

Sorry to go off topic Strat...

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think it depends on the PCA region. The Carolina's Region is a great group of people with plenty of members in the younger aged group. I have never had an issue approaching anyone regardless of age. In fact, my experiences have been very positive with everyone bending over backward to help one another, be it DEs or Autocross or even Concours.

Sorry to go off topic Strat...
Totally off topic, for sure, but "younger aged group" means a different thing to young people than older. I have no idea how old you are, but my grandfather would consider anyone under 50 to be in the younger age group, whereas, to me, I'm referring to people between 18-35. It doesn't help that you have to own a Porsche to join.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Shame that PCA made no mention of the Daytona win by Napleton in the most recent issue of pano that I received.
As much as I like having Cayman victories honered, I don't think the lack of mention in Pano is the editors fault. There is a LONG lead time between writing to delivering to your door step.

To the OP's question, no one at this point knows GX's future. Napleton isn't betting on it existing as it currently exists next year. I'd like to see it combined with IMSA's GT Challenge car class, but I doubt Porsche would allow that as it's a class of 911 GT3 only cars.......

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Totally off topic, for sure, but "younger aged group" means a different thing to young people than older. I have no idea how old you are, but my grandfather would consider anyone under 50 to be in the younger age group, whereas, to me, I'm referring to people between 18-35. It doesn't help that you have to own a Porsche to join.
This is a minor technicality. You need a Porsche VIN number to join.

But I agree that the need to supply a VIN doesn't exactly encourage would-be-porsche owners to sign up

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be nice to see the GX survive or morph into something else, as far as I know the Rolex series are the only televised races which feature Caymans. And to the team's and platform's credit they've done very well, two first places in two outings. I'm thinking Speedsource will win the next round, there's just too much money behind their effort as compared to Cayman entries.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it is going to survive until 2014 at least, so the Crocs have a venue to strut their stuff in professional, sanctioned racing.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
ALMS and Grand Am have announced the new series names and classes. United Sportscar Racing. I like what I see. From Fox News:

The lead Prototype class combines Grand-Am's Daytona Prototype class with the ALMS' P2 and DeltaWing cars. Prototype Challenge (PC) will be retained from the ALMS, as will GT Le Mans (GTLM) which will consist of the cars from the ALMS GT class.
GT Daytona (GTD) combines the Grand-Am's GT class and the ALMS' GTC class. GX is retained from the Grand-Am structure.
"The new name says it all," Bennett said. "In only six months, Grand-Am and the ALMS have taken huge strides to become one organization that will redefine sports car racing in North America. United SportsCar Racing reflects the fundamental spirit of how we are working together toward a common goal."
The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) was retained as the sanctioning body for United SportsCar Racing.

Read more: Grand-Am and ALMS merge to become United SportsCar Racing | Fox News

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well another 2nd place finish for Pumpelly, Norman and the number 38 black and green BGB Porsche Cayman. Up by a very slim 7 point lead. When you consider the Mazda effort is fully supported by the factory, the BGB effort has been outstanding. They almost pulled a first place today, but the car had trouble starting after a pit stop, six laps before checkered flag Pumpelly was overtaken and held to second place. Well done BGB.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well another 2nd place finish for Pumpelly, Norman and the number 38 black and green BGB Porsche Cayman. Up by a very slim 7 point lead. When you consider the Mazda effort is fully supported by the factory, the BGB effort has been outstanding. They almost pulled a first place today, but the car had trouble starting after a pit stop, six laps before checkered flag Pumpelly was overtaken and held to second place. Well done BGB.
Been watching this closely as well and just came across this thread / your posts. Seemed to me that they were off pace in the final laps (...if thats what you mean by trouble after a pit stop) - hence they were over taken. That said its hard to say while watching on TV....

Regardless I'm definitely going to buy parts from them in the future. Have to support those who are delivering entrainment / rooting interest. Not to mention the way they have marketed their program as a 'streetable' setup

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BGB, is doing an amazing job, I'm a little curious as to why there aren't more P9ers interested in the racing side of the 987, oh well, we each enjoy different aspects of our cars. Another interesting point, if Porsche is doing clinics and "experiences" to cultivate "sports car aficionados," why don't they start promoting the GX class, instead of giving it away to Mazda?

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
214 Posts
BGB, is doing an amazing job, I'm a little curious as to why there aren't more P9ers interested in the racing side of the 987, oh well, we each enjoy different aspects of our cars. Another interesting point, if Porsche is doing clinics and "experiences" to cultivate "sports car aficionados," why don't they start promoting the GX class, instead of giving it away to Mazda?
I agree with you. I was at the 24 this year and went by Bullet, BGB, and Napleton to check the cars out. Spent more time there then by the GT or DP's. Not to mention I was rooting for BGB anyway because my parents are in Ormond right around the corner from the shop. Its awesome to see a small program compete with factory backing.

As for promoting GX? Well Uncle Porsche doesn't want to erode the flagship 911. That's been their focus forever and will always continue to be. Heck even in DP a few years ago the "Porsche v8's" were not factory backed. That was a Spirit of Daytona effort....which unfortunately didn't survive. In short I think they are far more focused on next year, the 991's, and the return of the LMP1....which unfortunately with the new rules we won't get to see :mad:

Oh well...despite the masses I am really really excited for next year and cannot wait to see the LMP2's/DP's, and GT's mix it up in the USR. Like you said though...I hope someone/some mfg'ers see the opportunity and brings more GX entries into the mix. I haven't missed a minute of the coverage this year and I've loved seeing the Cayman out there :cheers:

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know which series Napleton is running in, I know in the Pirelli World Challenge Jack Baldwin fields a Cayman S, but I barely follow that series.

·
Registered
806 Posts
ALMS and Grand Am have announced the new series names and classes. United Sportscar Racing. I like what I see. From Fox News:

The lead Prototype class combines Grand-Am's Daytona Prototype class with the ALMS' P2 and DeltaWing cars. Prototype Challenge (PC) will be retained from the ALMS, as will GT Le Mans (GTLM) which will consist of the cars from the ALMS GT class.
GT Daytona (GTD) combines the Grand-Am's GT class and the ALMS' GTC class. GX is retained from the Grand-Am structure.
"The new name says it all," Bennett said. "In only six months, Grand-Am and the ALMS have taken huge strides to become one organization that will redefine sports car racing in North America. United SportsCar Racing reflects the fundamental spirit of how we are working together toward a common goal."
The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) was retained as the sanctioning body for United SportsCar Racing.

Read more: Grand-Am and ALMS merge to become United SportsCar Racing | Fox News
Apparently they are ignoring the LMP1 class, making the Daytona prototypes the lead class.

This doesn't work for me.

I would much rather see LMP1 as the leading class, and if you must keep the Daytona prototypes, lump them together with LMP2.

They can drop the challenge classes as far as I'm concerned.

I would like to see this class structure:

1) LMP1
2) Daytona Prototypes and LMP2
3) ALMS GT (GTLM)
4) Daytona GT (GTD)
5) GX

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
+1!

I think it's so dumb to eliminate LMP 1, off the bat, Porsche and Audi out, that's ridiculous and the GX is a "Mazda" class now, since they don't compete anywhere else and they're a major sponsor, this venue was done so they can be active and spend money. They have nothing to compete in any other class.

I liked the old IMSA: GTP, GTO (2.5 liter and over), GTU (2.5 liter and under.)

GTP: grand touring prototypes.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Apparently they are ignoring the LMP1 class, making the Daytona prototypes the lead class.

This doesn't work for me.

I would much rather see LMP1 as the leading class, and if you must keep the Daytona prototypes, lump them together with LMP2.

They can drop the challenge classes as far as I'm concerned.

I would like to see this class structure:

1) LMP1
2) Daytona Prototypes and LMP2
3) ALMS GT (GTLM)
4) Daytona GT (GTD)
5) GX

Actually, if you read it a little differently, you will see that your structure is exactly how it is planned to work.

The only difference is that there will no longer be an LMP1 at the top.

DP and LMP2 will run as one classification, albeit with different specifications.

My only problem with DP/LMP2 is that they will have to severely handicap the LMP2 cars to get them to be as slow as the DP cars.
I wish they would chuck the DP, as this is the most technologically lame class in existence, almost on par with NASCAR.

If they want to drive GM powered Katech engines, jump into the LMPC cars, which are a much better platform for racing than DP.

Reactions: stratman
1 - 20 of 113 Posts