Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I have some goodies to post but need to convert some recordings to words and verify a few things before posting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
Do it mon, do it!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Spencer Pumpelly:

"What I dislike about it has nothing to do with the Cayman itself, but rather the rules package we are given. I think right now as you know this car started life as a street car, unlike a 911 where after coming off the assembling line it goes over to the Porsche race shop. This thing was literally at a dealer’s lot at some point.

We are racing against tube frame Mazdas where all their suspension geometry is variable they can do a whole lot more than we can, stiffer chassis, just huge advantages and then on top of that we weigh 200lbs more than they do. 100lbs by rule and then the number they gave us there is no way we will ever get down there without spending a bazillion dollars so we are running about 210lbs over those cars despite their better chassis.

The engine doesn’t have the torque the diesels do but I think we do have a bit of a top end advantage that’s fun."

I close my case. The GX class is a shill for Mazda.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey Terry, will you snap some pics of the BGB car [at Laguna Seca at the Sept 8 race]?
Got a couple of not-so-great pix in the paddock today (Saturday). Will try to get more tomorrow.

The 38 is currently qualified at the bottom of the entire list for the Rolex race except for a Lotus Evora #11 that is listed to race in the GX race tomorrow along with the two Mazdas and the Cayman.

Looks like the race will be carried live on Fox Sports 1 at 1 PM PDT (5 PM EDT) Sunday (9/8).

Reactions: stratman

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
These guys are amazing!

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
These guys are amazing!
BGB GS Class entry Porsche Carrera #38 driven by Norman and Pumpelly started last (21st) place and went on to win (1st place) the 2.5-hour Grand Am Continental Tire Sports Car race today at MRLS.

The Grand Am Rolex Sports Car race starts soon and both drivers will be back out in the GX class #38 Cayman for almost 3 hours, again starting in last place. . .

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Nice to see a Lotus in the mix........ On a different tangent, the announcers are so tedious! Man, we know Mazda is a huge sponsor, why not just say their effort in GX is the best, Porsche sucks, and it's amazing how great the Mazda cars are specially when they're purpose built, tube frame race platforms! And shut up and let us enjoy our Cayman!

Can't wait to see Mazda in the GT category.....

·
Registered
619 Posts
Took a bunch more pix but no time yet to post them. Work gets in the way and also going back to MRLS Thursday for another DE. Will post this weekend.

Reactions: stratman

·
Registered
619 Posts
BGB GS Class entry Porsche Carrera #38 driven by Norman and Pumpelly started last (21st) place and went on to win (1st place) the 2.5-hour Grand Am Continental Tire Sports Car race today at MRLS. . .
Time for the promised pictures - OK, not the greatest. I guess I need to get a real camera with real optical zoom for these things.

Anyway, the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race at Laguna Seca on Sept. 8 will be (or was, depending on when you read this) shown on Fox Sports 1 (formerly Speed) at 4 PM EDT / 1 PM PDT on Sunday Sept. 15. This is the #38 BGB Carrera that won that race taken a couple hours after the race in the paddock.

·
Registered
619 Posts
And some more promised pix of the BGB #38 Cayman that ran in the GX class of the Rolex Sports Car series race on Sept 8 at Laguna.

A couple in the paddock.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Couple on the track. This is where an optical zoom is needed. They don't let spectators up as close as the professional photographers.

Out of Turn 3:

Turn 6:

Turn 8a (Corkscrew):

Between 8a and 9:

Turn 9:

Turn 11:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Porsche Corral, #38 Cayman is on the track in the center of this picture between turns 5 and 6, my car is at the far end of the back row:

Here's a picture pointed at my TV screen with the DVR in freeze frame from the Fox Sports 1 broadcast showing the Porsche Corral as some GT cars exit turn 5. The white blob in blue jeans hanging on the fence beyond the GT cars is me. The right-most blue blob of cars in the corral is mine. Do I look a little tired in this pix?

Picture from the fence, looking back at the exit to turn 5 and the Fox camera (somewhere over there) as the number #38 Cayman exits turn 5:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Misc stuff from around the track:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Finally! My turn on Sept 12:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Road America in August

Late, but I've been busy mostly with work but squeezed in a day driving RA myself the week after the Grand AM/ Rolex and ALMS weekend.

Thursday I found the BGB guys working diligently on the Cayman

Saturday I caught some pictures from several vantage points around the track

Turn 13

Between 13 & 14

Turn 6

Turn 7

Moraine Sweep

·
Registered
31 Posts
Porsche Park at Road America

During the Grand AM and ALMS weekend Porsche Park was a busy place although the race prepped Cayman R from Fall Line Motorsports was in the same spot without moving both Saturday and Sunday. I didn't notice any other R's besides mine and theirs but there were 2 Spyders. The white-silver-gray-black crowd were out in force.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Nice work Terry....I remember the bronze colored Michael Shank Racing prototype going around the BGB Cayman..... Contrast in speed and cornering.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Actually I like those distant shots. You get a better sense of what it is like to be there [which I will never have].
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Great pictures of the weekend. That's more coverage of the #38 then you see in the actual broadcast of the Mazda infomercial, I mean GX class!

61 - 80 of 113 Posts