Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Great pictures of the weekend. That's more coverage of the #38 then you see in the actual broadcast of the Mazda infomercial, I mean GX class!
My friend, couldn't have said it better! Mazda infomercial, I've been looking for that phrase since this thread was started!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Yes....very sad. Speaks volume of the organization and where they stand.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
Well they did it! BGB pulled it off against a factory backed onslaught of three cars and single Lotus, BGB won the the GX class, by a mere 8 points! Well done guys! You kept the torch burning for us Cayman owners and fans, you guys deserve it, what a fight! Congratulations to Jim Norman and Spencer Pumpelly for the brilliant drives!

http://www.grand-am.com/Standings/Rolex/team.aspx

·
Registered
903 Posts
Cool. Now I don't need to watch the race being televised in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Cool. Now I don't need to watch the race being televised in 10 minutes.
Actually, I want to see the end again, I don't think the idiots on the mikes gave BGB any credit, but I want to make sure before I go ballistic and email the organizers! Lol!

Btw, the race was yesterday, it was a snoozer, if I spoiled it for you I apologize. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Saw ending of race again, no mention that BGB won series, they only showed Mazda being congratulated for winning this race. On the DP side they interviewed Jordan Taylor who won the DP race and Scott Pruitt whose car won the manufacturer's title, ditto with GT class they showed race winning Corvette and they interviewed Alessandro Balzan whose Ferrari won the manufacturer's title, nothing for BGB.

So once again the Rolex series organizers show what they're made of.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Saw ending of race again, no mention that BGB won series, they only showed Mazda being congratulated for winning this race. On the DP side they interviewed Jordan Taylor who won the DP race and Scott Pruitt whose car won the manufacturer's title, ditto with GT class they showed race winning Corvette and they interviewed Alessandro Balzan whose Ferrari won the manufacturer's title, nothing for BGB.

I concur, BGB was majorly slighted in the coverage and especially at the end with the presentations of the various teams and outcomes.

Do you have an email address of someone at Grand-Am to contact and voice our displeasure at their coverage? (Perhaps at Fox Sports 1 as well?)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would say that they were on camera a lot during coverage as they just happened to be in the vicinity of a lot of the action. They did cover the late driver change to get Pumpelly out and the owner in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Contact Us

That is a link to contact Grand Am, I sent them an email already. It would be nice if more would.

GRAND-AM Road Racing
International Motorsports Center
One Daytona Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Phone: 386.310.6500
Fax: 386.310.6505

Reactions: Blue Spur

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Contact Us

That is a link to contact Grand Am, I sent them an email already. It would be nice if more would.

GRAND-AM Road Racing
International Motorsports Center
One Daytona Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Phone: 386.310.6500
Fax: 386.310.6505

I sent one to Grand Am and I just sent one to Fox as well via this link:
More Sports - Feedback - Fox Sports on MSN

I chose the Fox 1 Sports and then filled in the info and 1000 characters of why their coverage of the GX class and the BGB victory was terrible. BGB is owed an apology in my opinion....

·
Registered
545 Posts
I was at the race Sat. when it was run...super nice day , big crowd!! and at least the Cayman sounded great as it got lapped about 200 times. Did better then the Flexbot 911, and the Lotus, and the R8. It needs a 4.0 and move a class so the Mazda can race against the other Maxda.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I was at the race Sat. when it was run...super nice day , big crowd!! and at least the Cayman sounded great as it got lapped about 200 times. Did better then the Flexbot 911, and the Lotus, and the R8. It needs a 4.0 and move a class so the Mazda can race against the other Maxda.
Read the Spencer Pumpelly interview, those Mazdas are full tube chassis racing platforms, the Cayman came from a dealer, it might have a 3.8, but it's penalized in weight. Mazda got the GX class as a development tool, if not, why is it that their cars are legal to move up to the GT class while the Cayman is not. It's utter bull feces, Mazda bought the GX and Grand Am greedily took the sponsorship money.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Just sent Fox (as per link provided by Ken) an email, I pointed out how unprofessional and unethical this series and specifically the GX was run. And the lack of courtesy toward a paying participant namely BGB Motorsports.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
This is from PCNA site:

Porsche Contact Information

Andy Schupack – Motorsports
401-741-6980
[email protected]

He is listed under U.S. Public and Media Relations......

I'm sending him email, Porsche has sent a press release that covered the GT class, before they have congratulated the GX winners.

Porsche's press release covering Lime Rock GT class:

Motorsport News

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Got this response from FOX:

" Response
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding content aired on FOX or our affiliates. We do our best to address the questions and concerns of our viewers. However, the high volume of inquiries means that although we read all messages, we may not be able to respond to you directly.

Sincerely,

The FOXSports.com Support team"

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
This is from PCNA site:

Porsche Contact Information

Andy Schupack – Motorsports
401-741-6980
[email protected]

He is listed under U.S. Public and Media Relations......

I'm sending him email, Porsche has sent a press release that covered the GT class, before they have congratulated the GX winners.

Porsche's press release covering Lime Rock GT class:

Motorsport News
Got this response from FOX:

" Response
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding content aired on FOX or our affiliates. We do our best to address the questions and concerns of our viewers. However, the high volume of inquiries means that although we read all messages, we may not be able to respond to you directly.

Sincerely,

The FOXSports.com Support team"
Shame on Porsche for that press release and no mention of BGB of the GX class win!

I got the same auto-reply from Fox... no real reply as of yet...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
If Cayman fans here would send one email to Mr. Schupack, maybe it will make a difference.

But remember, the only class winning Porsche at the Rolex wasn't a 911, it's a Cayman. My next email Porsche AG.

·
Registered
619 Posts

I watched the whole thing and the announcers acknowledged and congratulated Jim Norman early on as winning the championship. I assume that means that to get enough points to win the season championship, BGB only needed to stay in this race for a certain amount of time or a certain number of laps and that BGB achieved that early in the race.

What I recall early on is the announcers congratulating Jim Norman for the win which gave me the impression that he (personally) won a driver's championship (like F1) but that BGB did not win a team championship. At the end I got the impression from the announcers that Mazda won the team championship for the season.

In fact, not until I read this thread did I realize that BGB won and that there are no individual drivers championships in this series.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I received explanatory email from Andy Schupack at Porsche:

"As you probably already know, Porsche Motorsport is not allowed, by rule of its Board of Directors, to support any race car that started its life as a street car. This includes all the Caymans, Boxsters, and 911s in the Continental Tire Challenge and the Caymans in both the World Challenge and Rolex series. The reason for this rule stems from Porsche's responsibility for safety and emissions compliance with the Federal government for street cars. If any of these street cars , which have had the ECU and other components modified for racing, turn back up in the used car market as street cars, the manufacturer is liable for compliance. Thus, Porsche can only make parts for and give service and marketing support for race cars it has created as purpose-built race cars. Only Porsche Motorsport can sell these cars (new), and the buyer must sign an off-the-road agreement that these cars do not meet safety and emission standards, and can never be registered. Also, as these cars are equipped with genuine Porsche Motorsport components, we can stand behind them and support them. The non-Porsche-Motorsport race cars contain many aftermarket parts for which we cannot support or be held responsible.

If the company decided to build Cayman race cars, it would certainly support them, but, right now, the only production-based race cars built by Porsche Motorsport are 911 race cars.

Porsche is proud of the Cayman and our Cayman owners as well, but we cannot either take credit or bask in the glory of the BGB Team championship of Dr. Jim Norman's driver title. We are happy to congratulate both personally, but as a company, for the reasons mentioned above, we cannot celebrate their success. By the way, Porsche did not win the GX class championship - Mazda did. Also, Mazda won 9 of the 12 races - including the last 9 in a row. I agree that BGB and Dr. Jim has a great season, and we were able to mention them in many of our release this year (against the overall wishes of our Board), but the Lime Rock release had other factory message points which precluded that mention this time.

I think that both Mr. Teece and Mr. Norman got their due last night at the Rolex banquet, and we are certainly pleased about that. In several conversations with John, I know that he understands our position, and understands that I have tried to help out when I can.

Please feel free to call if you want to discuss this any further.

--Andy Schupack, Motorsports PR
Porsche Cars North America, Inc."

First and foremost, I want to thank Andy Schupack for his quick reply and clarification, I let him know we are a very proud community and very proud of the accomplishment achieved by BGB and the Cayman in its first big sponsor outing. Needless to say those of us that follow motorsports feel vindicated as to the validity of our platform as a racing car as well as a superb street machine.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts