Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I replied:

"Good morning Mr. Schupack,

First and foremost thank you for your quick reply and clarification, I understand your position, and I thank you for you attention. I can tell you this, the Cayman community is thrilled with the outcome in the Rolex series, we feel vindicated as to the validity our cars, not only as a superb street machine, but as a formidable racing platform. If you ever want to get to know us, look up planet 9.com, it's a large community of Boxster, Cayman, Panamera, Cayenne and 911 owners, it's a very professional site, unlike what you usually find on the net.

Once again, a big thank you for your time and clarification, we'll be following the GT3s in the series next year. Hopefully Porsche will realize that supporting the Cayman is good for business, there are thousands of us that would embrace racing even more if our cars were factory backed.
Porsche's own internal audits have shown we don't cross shop, we wouldn't be taking sales from the 911, we are a smaller more performance and race oriented community. Please stop by Planet 9 . com, when you have the time! We'll be happy to hear from you!

Regards,"

·
Registered
903 Posts
Stratman, thank you for taking the time to inquire into Porsche's reasons for "overlooking" our Caymans. Andy Schupack's reply is understandable, if not what I had hoped to hear. It seems that if your race Porsche wasn't built as a race car from Porsche, it is therefor inferior, not worthy of waving the Porsche flag. Sad. Interesting that MANY teams see the Cayman as a worthy platform to take racing.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Stratman, thank you for taking the time to inquire into Porsche's reasons for "overlooking" our Caymans. Andy Schupack's reply is understandable, if not what I had hoped to hear. It seems that if your race Porsche wasn't built as a race car from Porsche, it is therefor inferior, not worthy of waving the Porsche flag. Sad. Interesting that MANY teams see the Cayman as a worthy platform to take racing.
Agreed, it's a shame. Porsche could be garnering more victories if they would develop the car, but I guess the marketing department has more sway than the Motorsport division. If you stop and think about what BGB was able pull off, it was amazing! Ironically, the only class win Porsche has for this year's Rolex series is the GX!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
"By the way, Porsche did not win the GX class championship - Mazda did. Also, Mazda won 9 of the 12 races - including the last 9 in a row." Andy Schupack.

I will not follow up that comment with an email, but unless Mr. Schupack is privy to GRAND AM information, he's dead wrong! Oh my!

http://www.grand-am.com/Standings/Rolex.aspx

Ok, went back and searched, BGB wins series, Jim Norman got most points as driver, Mazda got most points as engine manufacturer, which is crazy since they fielded 3 cars, that's utter nonsense, Porsche never stood a chance as an engine supplier! 3:1! You have to love GrandAm!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I follow Grand AM on twitter. They certainly tweeted congratulations to the DP & GT winners, but mysteriously forgot GX? So strange.....

@RolexSeries way to congratulate the winners n the series & in true #NASCAR fashion u forgot BGB since they aren't a sponsor #DontRuinTheUSR

@gt4567 (shameless twitter plug for me ;))

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
What a load of B.S.

Those Cayennes that Porsche proudly extolled the virtues of in the Transyberria Race (even made a Transyberria option package for the Cayenne subsequently) left the factory as NORMAL Cayennes and were retrofitted for that race.

Porsche talked about those vehicles and their achievements A LOT.

Would someone PLEASE dig up all the old non-factory race cars that were driven by gentlemen racers for decades and reported about by Porsche and let's look at the laundry list of Porsche press releases about those cars which didn't start life as a race car.

How on earth is Porsche responsible if someone takes a passenger car and converts it to a race car and then converts it back to a street car and sells it. I don't believe the US Feds are going to go after Porsche if something goes wrong with that car while still under warranty and guess what the Porsche street car warranty specifically precludes coverage if a car has been raced. This sounds like a bunch of double-talk marketing gobbledy-**** to me...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I didn't want to take Andy Schupack to task, I could have torpedoed each of his points, but I didn't think it was necessary, I'd rather him say what was on his mind, wether it was Porsche speak or his own verbiage. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same, many of our members here are too young to remember the "golden age" of IMSA, back in the eighties, it was a one ring circus full of dope dealers racing amazing machinery, the officials knew what was going on, they weren't stupid, but they turned a blind eye just to keep the money flowing. Now it's a business-entertainment conglomerate, which in my opinion has lost credibility as a Motorsport organization. Porsche only cares about racing as a promotion tool, to promote what ever model they choose, they see the Cayman as a gateway to the 911 or heaven forbid, a Cayenne. To be frank, this Rolex series has left a bad taste in my mouth, I'm not surprised, but am disgusted by the way it was implemented and managed. I have no reason now to trek up to Daytona or Sebring to see Porsche's advertising campaign (so called racing) in action, they've turned me off completely to road racing in the states. I understand promotional organizations need to make money, but not at the expense of the sport's integrity.

Ken is right, it was a crock of b.s., Porsche has no liability if some one buys a car and races it, how about those 959s out there that were for "off-road purpose" only and collectors drive them on city streets, where's Porsche's liability there? Or the Japanese gentleman that owns a 956 or 962, he drives in the streets, where's the liability there? There isn't any. I don't blame Mazda, to them buying a series was a smart move, they advertise they sell, Porsche on the other hand use to race to sell, now it's advertising is more important than racing.

If anyone cares about the longevity of the 981 platform, I would urge them to start getting vocal, very vocal with Porsche, they read the emails, tell them how unhappy you are at the way the Cayman is short shifted by them and the Grand Am organizers, Porsche will be guilty of filicide, it has no love lost for its "ugly duckling" child. In all my years following motorsports, I have never been so disgusted by the sham portrayed as racing in the Rolex GX class. I could be spiteful and hope Mazda gets it's rear end served to them by the other GT cars, but I won't say that, Mazda acted in its own best interest, I blame the organizers, they didn't have to take the money, they could have had ethics, I also blame Porsche, their attitude toward the Cayman borders on senility and utter stupidity from a business point of view.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I resurrected this thread for closure, it's the final chapter of what became of the players of this sad play.....

We thought Mazda would move to the GT class, with a four door diesel sedan, which seemed very unlikely, but with the organizers you never know what they'll do for a quick buck. The GX as we know, was hyped with promise and excitement, Lotus, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Porsche, VW were all "scheduled" to appear. Well, as we now know only Porsche and Mazda showed up, Lotus made sporadic appearances.

The players, except for Mazda quietly went away, the winning BGB Cayman S barely got mentioned, Lotus not a beep, Mazda used this "class" to develop it's diesel tech, which now is being raced by Speedsource in today's 24 Hours of Daytona.

Last year the Napleton Cayman S won the 24 Hours of Daytona's GX class against a slew of cars, this year there's no Caymans anywhere. As for Mazda, it's struggling in the opening hours of Daytona, poetic justice indeed.

And here the curtain drops.............

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
A pity, but it showed what the Cayman platform is capable of, and is bringing us now the 3.8l swaps for the 981 platform from BGB :)

Reactions: stratman

·
Registered
619 Posts
I resurrected this thread for closure, it's the final chapter of what became of the players of this sad play.....

We thought Mazda would move to the GT class, with a four door diesel sedan, which seemed very unlikely, but with the organizers you never know what they'll do for a quick buck. The GX as we know, was hyped with promise and excitement, Lotus, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Porsche, VW were all "scheduled" to appear. Well, as we now know only Porsche and Mazda showed up, Lotus made sporadic appearances.

The players, except for Mazda quietly went away, the winning BGB Cayman S barely got mentioned, Lotus not a beep, Mazda used this "class" to develop it's diesel tech, which now is being raced by Speedsource in today's 24 Hours of Daytona.

Last year the Napleton Cayman S won the 24 Hours of Daytona's GX class against a slew of cars, this year there's no Caymans anywhere. As for Mazda, it's struggling in the opening hours of Daytona, poetic justice indeed.

And here the curtain drops.............
No, GX lives!

More than a couple times during the Daytona 24 coverage, I heard the Fox announcers wax eloquently about the fabulous effort by the Mazada team to field the cutting-edge Skyactive diesel technology now in Prototype cars (even as both of the Skyactive cars, 07 and 70, dropped well behind the leaders and then broke down and dropped completely out well before the end of the race).

Sounds just like GX to me.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
not completely

A Cayman was on the podium in the Continental Tire Series ST Class
another finished 4th

believe they are running 2.9l Caymans

4 or 5 cars in the class, something is better than nothing

·
Registered
181 Posts
No, GX lives!

More than a couple times during the Daytona 24 coverage, I heard the Fox announcers wax eloquently about the fabulous effort by the Mazada team to field the cutting-edge Skyactive diesel technology now in Prototype cars (even as both of the Skyactive cars, 07 and 70, dropped well behind the leaders and then broke down and dropped completely out well before the end of the race).

Sounds just like GX to me.

Mazda was well represented at Daytona. They had a huge area on the main drag with 3 or 4 cars, a tent and a temporary structure to go in. (BMW was next to them with a bunch of cars) Over near the turn into the infield behind pit lane, tucked away, Porsche had a space with a temp structure, an little area behind a fence, one car (a turbo) out front, and a sign that read private party.

·
Registered
619 Posts
101 - 113 of 113 Posts