Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a good discussion with a friend today who drives a Tesla 3 about EV and the ICE extinction. Some good and bad points to say the least but I am probably among the few or maybe the many who will keep my 981Cayman & R53 Mini until retirement as long as gasoline is still available to buy. I grew up as gear head/car fanatic who siphoned gasoline during the 1974 oil crisis at young age, in short, gasoline is in my blood since boyhood :) and who loves connecting the engine sound, smell, and driving experience. Will I be living in the past?

·
Registered
159 Posts
If someone really wanted to, they could drive a steam powered car to work, and those have been out of production for close to 100 years.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
That is my plan. I will keep and keep driving my Cayman as long as there is gasoline. I’m the same as far as “in my blood” and even if we eventually buy an EV, I’ll keep the Porsche. May even convert it to EV if that ever one day way down the road becomes an option. I honestly think that will be the bigger switch to EV for the majority of people. There are already companies out there doing kits. That aspect just needs to ramp up because right now, there are not enough EVs people can afford and a LOT of cars that are still great cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If someone really wanted to, they could drive a steam powered car to work, and those have been out of production for close to 100 years.
Well to be fair, water doesn’t have any emissions BESIDES steam and will be readily available forever. It’s not banned and will never be banned. Unless of course we somehow have little and it’s restricted from anything other than sustaining life.

Reactions: Cayman Ed

·
Registered
486 Posts
Porsche is working on special fuels which will burn cleaner, hopefully that will extend the operating window. Then perhaps they will be considered classics, if they make retention prohibitively expensive via fuels or insurances it might not be the reasonable choice. They might do the same with being able to drive at all once autonomous vehicles become ubiquitous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Absolutely I will keep my Porsche even if I would buy a EV. The biggest problems with EV is the lack of charging infrastructure. I would not be against using a EV as a daily driver but come weekends there is nothing I rather drive than my Porsche

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Porsche is working on special fuels which will burn cleaner, hopefully that will extend the operating window. Then perhaps they will be considered classics, if they make retention prohibitively expensive via fuels or insurances it might not be the reasonable choice. They might do the same with being able to drive at all once autonomous vehicles become ubiquitous.
I read about that.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A guy I went to school with did exactly this. He had an old steam engine for farming use and he realized with some small mods he could drive it around as a vehicle. Back in the day these were fueled by coal but his was wood-fueled which was easy and almost free for him to get.

Eventually the police asked him to stop. It was not licensed for the road, would never be able to pass a safety check, and while moving it from farm to farm was acceptable, driving it to school (apparently) was not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've owned 4 EVs, including a Model 3 that's faster on paper than any gas car I've owned, by far. For several years we owned ONLY EVs, in fact.

Well, we just bought two manual MINIs and I'm researching Caymans that I've wanted for years, but never pulled the trigger on (first post here even though I registered in 2012!).

For the masses or for a pure commuter, EVs are incredible. Internal combustion transportation appliances are obsolete as soon as EVs cover more market segments, IMO.

But for enthusiasts, you can't beat a light, tossable, shiftable (manual for me, but PDK is great), car like the Cayman (or MINI if you need the seats or the price difference).

Now, someday, EVs may cover most of those bases. I trust Porsche will build an incredible car in the electric Cayman. But for now, EVs can't match some of the things that I love about gas cars: The sound, the weight, the reward of selecting the shift points, etc. And on top of that, charging makes track days difficult or near impossible, depending on what's available near your track.

EVs are replacing most cars, but they can't replace the gas Caymans and GT3s (or even MINIs, IMO) quite yet.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've owned 4 EVs, including a Model 3 that's faster on paper than any gas car I've owned, by far. For several years we owned ONLY EVs, in fact.

Well, we just bought two manual MINIs and I'm researching Caymans that I've wanted for years, but never pulled the trigger on (first post here even though I registered in 2012!).

For the masses or for a pure commuter, EVs are incredible. Internal combustion transportation appliances are obsolete as soon as EVs cover more market segments, IMO.

But for enthusiasts, you can't beat a light, tossable, shiftable (manual for me, but PDK is great), car like the Cayman (or MINI if you need the seats or the price difference).

Now, someday, EVs may cover most of those bases. I trust Porsche will build an incredible car in the electric Cayman. But for now, EVs can't match some of the things that I love about gas cars: The sound, the weight, the reward of selecting the shift points, etc. And on top of that, charging makes track days difficult or near impossible, depending on what's available near your track.

EVs are replacing most cars, but they can't replace the gas Caymans and GT3s (or even MINIs, IMO) quite yet.
I also have a model 3, and an electric pickup is in the planning stages. But to answer the OP’s question, I have no plans to sell my Cayman.

For me personally, the 981 is a special car. I think of it in the same way as I do watches. Yes, I have an Apple Watch to help me track my workouts, but fine mechanical watches actually bring me joy. For some of us the mechanical intricacies of these things are a testament to human ingenuity and engineering no matter how absurd they are in the context of modern capability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a model 3, and an electric pickup is in the planning stages. But to answer the OP’s question, I have no plans to sell my Cayman.

For me personally, the 981 is a special car. I think of it in the same way as I do watches. Yes, I have an Apple Watch to help me track my workouts, but fine mechanical watches actually bring me joy. For some of us the mechanical intricacies of these things are a testament to human ingenuity and engineering no matter how absurd they are in the context of modern capability.
Agreed. Good analogy.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I already have 240V 50A circuit with a plug in the garage - since 2015, as a matter of fact. When my grocery getter breaks down too expensive to repair, I fully intend to get an EV for grocery getting - there is no better, more satisfying powertrain for grocery getting. Long distance second would be turbodiesel if I could.

As far as Cayman goes, I have no intention of getting rid of it and will keep it for as long as I am allowed. Considering 10 years for first ICE bans to come in effect and another 10 years for the first dent in the supply of used fossil fuel cars ... I think we should have gasoline aplenty. Maybe more expensive, but maybe even cheaper. At the time of first issues with gasoline supply, I will be almost 75 years old and can't care less how will the morons make their lives more miserable.*

What really worries me will be brainless little $hits with IQ lower than regular gasoline octanes who are properly indoctrinated to throw stuff at your Porsche once the world becomes almost silent. Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb with that engine and PSE when everyone around you is driving EV or PHEV on battery only.

*__

I know it is OT, but I need to say it. Yesterday I was reading an article that shocked me so profoundly that, even if well aware of my advancing age and first irreversible problems that come with it, I was sooooooo glad that I am not 16-20 years old.

Basically, to make it short, there is a new trend in UK where teens of that age hop on a bus/train, get high on edibles (what you buy in recreational dispensary and you ingest, not smoke) and then exit at the airport to have a good time. Which, as I understood, consists of people watching.

Now, not only is the airport the most inhumane environment that I know which is not outlawed, but the reason they state for enjoying it there is even more depressing. They say that it is the safest place for them. Think ... 16-20 years old kids. What a waste of life.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Plans change, but right now the Boxster goes in 2030, replaced by an EV runabout; the spouse-mobile gets replaced in 2025 with some kind of ICE semi-sporty, trailer-towing car which will be our last ICE (perhaps a BRZ?) Hoping to keep the Tiger and convert it to whatever energy source is available.

Unused (gave up on trying to keep pumps going in hot tub) 240V 50A circuit in the house which I hope will handle recharging.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I know it is OT, but I need to say it. Yesterday I was reading an article that shocked me so profoundly that, even if well aware of my advancing age and first irreversible problems that come with it, I was sooooooo glad that I am not 16-20 years old.

Basically, to make it short, there is a new trend in UK where teens of that age hop on a bus/train, get high on edibles (what you buy in recreational dispensary and you ingest, not smoke) and then exit at the airport to have a good time. Which, as I understood, consists of people watching.

Now, not only is the airport the most inhumane environment that I know which is not outlawed, but the reason they state for enjoying it there is even more depressing. They say that it is the safest place for them. Think ... 16-20 years old kids. What a waste of life.
Ah! I think stories like that are designed to do exactly what I did to you. But rest assured there are a lot of good kids out there(the majority)who will be totally fine to run the world.

There will always be stoners.

Go take a nice drive!

Reactions: jmertz55 and txbdan

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It's the ICE being banned that is concerning most knowing that our government can do what they want. There are still lots of oil reserves left in my lifetime and there will always be a way if there is a market, little as may be in the future. If Porsche is developing synthetic fuel, it's another lifeline and don't mind spending more on fuel to drive our special cars. If you want to play you got to pay is fine.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
There will always be stoners.

Go take a nice drive!
Sure will! Tomorrow is 71 degrees and my buddy is dying to drive his MX5 RF with roof down

It wasn't the fact that they get stoned that worries me - it is going to a horrible, dehumanizing place like an airport because they feel safe. While 16-20.

I have no idea how I survived those years (16-20), most of my friends don't (Lord Newton and Baccus, not drugs). Last thing on my/our mind was "safe". And it was helluva ride, trust me, would redo it in a heartbeat. But in the '80s, not now for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reactions: lrcipo

·
Registered
159 Posts
In addition to being able to drive a 1925 Stanley Steamer to work tomorrow if you wanted to, I should point out that people don't commute or travel on horses but they seem to be able to enjoy equestrian activities just fine.

there is a new trend where teens
✋Ok, let me stop you right there, because this is one way that media strategists prey on a lack of media literacy. Every year or so there's outrage journalism featuring a DISTURBING NEW TREND AMONG TEENS like rainbow parties, the knockout game, and other urban legends targeted at older folks.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts