Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm old enough to already choose a one-day-at-a-time life strategy. Often squeezing each one for all it's worth.

So forcasting is basically off-limits. Self imposed, of course.

Tomorrow I WILL be hitting better than 6000 rpms as often as I can get away with it. It might be in the little Mazdarati, or in the 971 Boxster. Likely both.

Sunday would be forcasting, but I'm certain both tanks have more than I can consume tomorrow. :)

Seriously, or as serious as I can be anyways, I'm not young enough to fret.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Ok, let me stop you right there, because this is one way that media strategists prey on a lack of media literacy. Every year or so there's outrage journalism featuring a DISTURBING NEW TREND AMONG TEENS like rainbow parties, the knockout game, and other urban legends targeted at older folks.
Fair enough, I still have to see it somewhere else. Maybe never will.

Were crying closets at universities another hoax? You know, the place pro ided to them where sudents go when they get a bad grade or simply the pressure of being a student gets to be too much. I always thought that sounded fishy as well ...

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well to be fair, water doesn’t have any emissions BESIDES steam and will be readily available forever. It’s not banned and will never be banned. Unless of course we somehow have little and it’s restricted from anything other than sustaining life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be even fairer, it's not the water that produces the emissions but the fuel burned to heat it ... :)

Reactions: PG-IN

·
Registered
2009 Porsche Boxster 2.9 w/PDK (Triple Black)
9 Posts
Keep in mind the talk of "banning ICE cars" is for new cars only. We'll have gas and ICE cars for a long time still.

This may be a controversial statement here, but I'll never buy a new ICE car again. A number of EVs today are "good enough" or better and they'll only continue to get better.

But I also have zero plans to sell the Boxster and will probably have it for the rest of my life (or the rest of my lower back's life).

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Keep in mind the talk of "banning ICE cars" is for new cars only. We'll have gas and ICE cars for a long time still.

This may be a controversial statement here, but I'll never buy a new ICE car again. A number of EVs today are "good enough" or better and they'll only continue to get better.

But I also have zero plans to sell the Boxster and will probably have it for the rest of my life (or the rest of my lower back's life).
Said exactly what I meant without adding anything ... er ... controversial.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reactions: canux

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a good discussion with a friend today who drives a Tesla 3 about EV and the ICE extinction. Some good and bad points to say the least but I am probably among the few or maybe the many who will keep my 981Cayman & R53 Mini until retirement as long as gasoline is still available to buy. I grew up as gear head/car fanatic who siphoned gasoline during the 1974 oil crisis at young age, in short, gasoline is in my blood since boyhood :) and who loves connecting the engine sound, smell, and driving experience. Will I be living in the past?
Nope. Internal combustion is the way I'll
go out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I once owned a car with an automatic transmission. I was bored with it after a few weeks, even with that little AMG logo on the back. Awesome luxury, presence, smell, and sound. The ability to (at the time) dust nearly anything on the road without thought, gets really boring. I became a thoughtless robot driver. I expect an electric would inspire the same non-excitement. Next thing you know and you'll be wanting one of those self-crashing cars.

I expect to keep my manual transmission 2008 CS until human-driving cars are outlawed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Until they standardize EV's with same charging port like a gasoline nozzle I will continue to consider them a big huge political experiment.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm selling the 981 and buying the new Kia EV6 GT 0 to 60 in 3 sec. Price a 1/4 of the Taycan turbo
I'm done with ICE and Porsches too many problems latest being the PADM failure took it to the dealer to see how much they will give me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I already have 240V 50A circuit with a plug in the garage - since 2015, as a matter of fact. When my grocery getter breaks down too expensive to repair, I fully intend to get an EV for grocery getting - there is no better, more satisfying powertrain for grocery getting. Long distance second would be turbodiesel if I could.

As far as Cayman goes, I have no intention of getting rid of it and will keep it for as long as I am allowed. Considering 10 years for first ICE bans to come in effect and another 10 years for the first dent in the supply of used fossil fuel cars ... I think we should have gasoline aplenty. Maybe more expensive, but maybe even cheaper. At the time of first issues with gasoline supply, I will be almost 75 years old and can't care less how will the morons make their lives more miserable.*

What really worries me will be brainless little $hits with IQ lower than regular gasoline octanes who are properly indoctrinated to throw stuff at your Porsche once the world becomes almost silent. Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb with that engine and PSE when everyone around you is driving EV or PHEV on battery only.

*__

I know it is OT, but I need to say it. Yesterday I was reading an article that shocked me so profoundly that, even if well aware of my advancing age and first irreversible problems that come with it, I was sooooooo glad that I am not 16-20 years old.

Basically, to make it short, there is a new trend in UK where teens of that age hop on a bus/train, get high on edibles (what you buy in recreational dispensary and you ingest, not smoke) and then exit at the airport to have a good time. Which, as I understood, consists of people watching.

Now, not only is the airport the most inhumane environment that I know which is not outlawed, but the reason they state for enjoying it there is even more depressing. They say that it is the safest place for them. Think ... 16-20 years old kids. What a waste of life.

While passenger cars will progressively move to EVs over the next 10-15 years, there is no pln in the works to ban existing ICEs, that will be a long way away and more likely than not collectors of classic cars will still be driving them around in 2080.

There is no indoctrination but progress toward a better and more clean and sustainable way to power cars. Don't be so threatened by it. It is a good thing.

With regard to getting high and people watching.....it sounds like a lovely way to spend the afternoon!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Intersting question which I ask myself several times a month. I have no answer for me at the moment but I mostly fear extreme noise regulation coming up in a few years. Here in Switzerland some politicians already discuss about 'noise cameras' (like speed cameras). If you drive too loud you get a fine.
But exactly the (PSE) sound of my 981 is what always makes me and my girl smile and what the most beautiful difference to EVs is. But also once in a while a pedestrian or cyclist feels disturbed and shouts some more or less unfriendly words at me passing.
I could drive a Cayenne Hybrid last year as replacement for one day. I found myself constantly speeding (with ICE activated of course) at rural roads because I couldn't feel anything halfway exciting driving bends at 80km/h as with my 981. No sound, no feel, just plain fast. To be honest I deliberately retrofitted the PSE to enjoy the rides without needing to speed.
I would really like to keep my 981 as long as possible but I won't sweat by it at the moment as times change fast. Constantly.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
There is no indoctrination but progress toward a better and more clean and sustainable way to power cars. Don't be so threatened by it. It is a good thing.
See the post below yours. Noise will become a problem. Our cars don't make noise, they make music but indoctrinated people cannot understand the difference.

We already have noise regulations on quite a few racetracks and, from what I heard, at Laguna Seca you barely pass with PSE on and shifting at redline.

Can you believe that there are idiots in Belgium that are petitioning to end racing at Spa Francorchamps because of excessive noise? Track was used since 1928, it is not like you moved there and then they built a track and ruined your paradise. That kind of feeble thinking I define as "indoctrinated". And if they are doing it there, you can only imagine what can happen once most of the vehicles are silent and you pass by with your Porsche in just Sport mode, even without PSE on.

On that point, I do not share any optimism.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Here is one of my ".sigs" that I append to my e-mail:

THE MANUAL-TRANSMISSION SPORTS CAR:

The man becomes part of the machine
and
the machine becomes part of the man.

At that time they achieve "oneness"
- Tony J. Podrasky

If you like that, send an e-mail to [email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a good discussion with a friend today who drives a Tesla 3 about EV and the ICE extinction. Some good and bad points to say the least but I am probably among the few or maybe the many who will keep my 981Cayman & R53 Mini until retirement as long as gasoline is still available to buy. I grew up as gear head/car fanatic who siphoned gasoline during the 1974 oil crisis at young age, in short, gasoline is in my blood since boyhood :) and who loves connecting the engine sound, smell, and driving experience. Will I be living in the past?
anyone that ACTUALLY believes the ICE engine is dead ... is CLUELESS. Not only will I bet every dime I have in the bank... but I’d bet MY LIFE... in 50 years the vast majority of cars in the road will be ..... (drum roll ... wait for it !)